Sign in to follow this  
Griffith

WU rename bug?

I got a large cart from someone else who had named the cart, lets say he named it Cat.

I renamed it to lets say, Dog. Now when i hover over it it says Dog, but whenever I

mount or dismount it in event tab it says, "you ride the "Cat" as the driver, or "You

leave the "Cat".

Does this happen immediately after and change? or has it been this way for a long time?  i.e. does it become Dog after a little while

WU carts and wagons get like this, at least on some servers, usually the next server restart fixes it. I suspect it is some sort of  cache thing. 

Check also what name it shows in your Managements/Permissions panel for carts and wagons. (When this other person gave you the cart, did they transfer the ownership to you? I don;t think that is the issue, just curious where the permissions panel will show the cart). I suspect the name in the permissions panel will be the correct up to date name.  I am often renaming wagons (for sale with horse teams, and renaming to remove the name "For Sale 5") and the change does not seem to follow across the board, depends on how often or how/when it has been renamed or something, or possibly even some server thing to cut down lag by reduce information updates, or something-something. Anyway, the permissions panel should be the correct name, and a server restart will absolutely fix it, and I am 99.99% percent sure the management panel always shows the correct name.  

Horses used to also give incorrect information sometimes on their age or disease status. so leading or mounting them would show a different status visually and in events tab. Then periodically they would "catch up". 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

That was my thinking too brash, WO has the same thing, though the cache may not be as long due to not being SQlite. 

Yes that happens to all carts/ships in WO too which are acquired from other owners (like stolen on PVP servers)- they keep the old name in events for days (I think server restarts fix that)

Edited by Jaz

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

That was my thinking too brash, WO has the same thing, though the cache may not be as long due to not being SQlite. 

That has nothing to do with the database type. It is a problem with how Wurm deals with updating names on the server most likely.

I am not 100% what causes this exactly as I have not looked into that yet, but I am sure it is not database side. Still, I am sure that there is quite an easy fix for this problem. Something like a force reload of the object when renamed serverside.

Edited by Sklo:D

4 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

That has nothing to do with the database type. It is a problem with how Wurm deals with updating names between server and client most likely.

I am not 100% what causes this exactly as I have not looked into that yet, but I am sure it is not database side. Still, I am sure that there is quite an easy fix for this problem. Something like a force reload of the object for all clients when renamed like the change model triggers for eg. BSBs could help.

Client restart does not help - I'm unsure it is client side. 

5 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Client restart does not help - I'm unsure it is client side. 

Right I was thinking in the wrong direction, updated my post should now be more correctly.

i own it. (i renamed it). ill wait for a server restart, im only a few days old in this server tho,

so i dont know how often they have restarts, ill give an update whenever that happens. Its Sklotopolis by the way.

Just read Jaz's last comment, ill double check on restart anyway to make sure.

Edited by Griffith