Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Bringing back vehicles following terrain while riding?

Hello

Is it possible to bring back vehicles following curve of the terrain? Or is it consequence of some mechanic that cannot be changed anymore?

If I remember correctly, this was disabled after making possibility for characters to "jump" over things and fences? Could be wrong, long time ago.

For those who didn't played then: vehicles were foolowing terrain on different angles, now those just always stay horizontal (at least when riding).

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 1

This was explained before, I'd have to look for it, but With the addition of sitting on a vehicle, changing the vehicle along angles of the slopes throws the camera into weird places and makes it impossible to see where you are going. 

Found the quote

On 10/5/2016 at 12:00 PM, Budda said:

The other issue with carts not following terrain is by design at the moment. Because of how we handle terrain movement and the camera, changing it so the cart follows terrain means that your camera starts clipping through the cart and making things completely unviewable - with your entire screen being filled up with a view of the inside of a cart: http://prnt.sc/cgb5b0

Fixing this means making the camera move with your player model sitting on the cart - which opens up a whole new bag of worms to do with camera clipping etc.

I know you can sometimes get it to happen when you bug out on the corner of a cave entrance, and horses will do it if they untame when you're riding. It's either going to not have you move with what you're riding, or it's going to throw the camera around every time you change slopes or have a lag spike.

Samool has taken t he time to look at it too, and it's just a bit too jerky to feel right, It requires a lot more work on how movement functions and there's simply other projects that require focus more at this point. 

• Like 2

What if camera would be fixed in horizontal position, only allowing looking left and right, without possibility to look up and down while riding?

@Retrogradesadly, the way it currently works makes driving a ship transporter downslope near impossible as it completely blocks your view due to its design. I had the experience of having to deal with this on Xanadu for nearly 2 hours with a gaggle of mobs behind me while moving at 7km/h. I nearly threw my computer out the window. Its one of those experiences that can make someone quit.

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

What if camera would be fixed in horizontal position, only allowing looking left and right, without possibility to look up and down while riding?

This sounds terrible. Why on Earth would you suggest it?

55 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

This sounds terrible. Why on Earth would you suggest it?

Agreed. Imagine not being able to look up at the mountain to see if there are mobs lurking on the path you plan to take? Or being forced to stare at a slope in front of you without the possibility to look up and see how far it goes?