Sign in to follow this  
Sklo:D

WU 1.8.0.3 - Server jar size exploded

With WU 1.8.x.x the server jar size increased by about 166%, from 12MB to 33MB.

I have analysed the jar file and found out that there are a lot of unnecessary class files in it which lead to this big growth. There is a lot overhead for example the whole server code is present in server.jar/com and in server.jar/target/classes/com, which leads to about 10+MB duplicate data. Big jar files lead to big performance drops on servers and also will result into modders having problems because IDEs like IntelliJ Ultimate already struggling with such big jar files used as libs. Indexing in IDEs will not work anylonger, so there will not be any autocomplete when coding and also errors shown because some classes just can't be indexed.

I am sure there is a way to compile the code more performance friendly and compact, the size of the file should be no more than 15MB, then things are really optimised.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

Just to keep track of everything. This problem has NOT been fixed in WU version 1.8.0.3.

It's intentional, they made it a "fat" jar so it includes all the libs already inside.

1 hour ago, bdew said:

It's intentional, they made it a "fat" jar so it includes all the libs already inside.

Still, a lot of unneeded stuff in there, if you take a closer look you will see.

I don't need debug stuff like FindBugs in a stable release, also the whole game server source code is in there 2 times. Building is just not optimized yet.