Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Oakshell convenience: Override light armors

Currently, Oakshell only applies to naked body parts, resulting in two problems:

1. The inconvenience of having to unequip all your armor/clothing, then re-equip after Oakshell has worn off/the fight is over.
  2. Consequently, you look like a trashy naked trash person while using Oakshell, since you're naked, instead of wearing whatever fancy clothes you normally have on.

To that end, why not have Oakshell simply override armor/clothing when active? That way, you get the same benefit as you would now, but don't have to deal with the tedium or aesthetic unpleasantness of having to take off all your armor first.

After speaking to people about the PvP metagame implications of this, it seems like it would be reasonable to limit this to light armors, i.e. cloth and leather.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rakki said:

Just no

Why not?

It shouldn't affect armor balance, since you'd still only get the effect of the oakshell, not the leather/cloth underneath it. The only concern I could really see is PvP meta changing, but that's why I suggesting being unable to cast it over, say, plate. Is there something I'm missing? I'm legitimately curious.

The issue is that you can be 100% safe with throwaway armor while using top end dr "armor" with free aosp (and probably has no weaknesses like other armor?), so when you get dispelled enough times to lose your oakshell it doesn't matter, you're still in 70-90ql leather which still has decent armor to not get you wrecked and you don't need to watch for losing oakshell.  Currently the balance for using oakshell is that you have to care when it runs out or is dispelled or you will get wrecked naked

6 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

+1

cuz I dont wanna look like a  a trashy naked trash person  :(

+1

but can I still look trashy while naked?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrGARY said:

The issue is that you can be 100% safe with throwaway armor while using top end dr "armor" with free aosp (and probably has no weaknesses like other armor?), so when you get dispelled enough times to lose your oakshell it doesn't matter, you're still in 70-90ql leather which still has decent armor to not get you wrecked and you don't need to watch for losing oakshell.  Currently the balance for using oakshell is that you have to care when it runs out or is dispelled or you will get wrecked naked

Yeah, this is the kind of unintended consequences I've been asking about. I suppose this is probably more of an issue with the new armor balance changes, now that leather is actually pretty decent?

Is there some other way to make Oakshell "risky" in the same way it is now, without forcing you to be naked to have it active?

11 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

After speaking to people about the PvP metagame implications of this, it seems like it would be reasonable to limit this to light armors, i.e. cloth and leather.

35 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Is there some other way to make Oakshell "risky" in the same way it is now, without forcing you to be naked to have it active? 

Cloth is still pretty useless as armour

8 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Why not?

It shouldn't affect armor balance, since you'd still only get the effect of the oakshell, not the leather/cloth underneath it. The only concern I could really see is PvP meta changing, but that's why I suggesting being unable to cast it over, say, plate. Is there something I'm missing? I'm legitimately curious.

Well for starters it would make it even less risky using it in pvp and it can be really op already.

Maybe add a cosmetic version of gear Have it give essentially no armor (like 5% DR, no glance rate). 

I initially thought maybe some ceremonial plate armor or something would be nice, but then it might be too easy to see if someone swapped out real plate for the ceremonial stuff they were wearing. For now maybe just keep it for cloth gear, though later on if the artists wanted to add some flashier and gaudier chain, plate, studded, etc. that people could use with oakenshield or just walking around the deed, that'd be cool.