Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

[Fixed] Missing artwork: ivy on oriels

Players in CA HELP reported that the decorative ivy on stone and plain stone oriels was missing.

I tested the preview client with the modern renderer on, the modern renderer off, the low memory client with the renderer on, and the low memory client with the renderer off, and in all four configurations there was no ivy on my stone oriels.

May we have them back please, or may we have some communication about their future?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Yes please. I have made an entire deed with stone brick based on the natural look of the ivy on the stone oriels.  I'm not happy that these have been quietly removed, no explanation or hint at an upcoming change.

• Like 2

Here's an in game screenshot of how they look right now...

TILMgVm.jpg

Will see if I can find out who killed the ivy.  Thanks for the report.

• Like 1

The ivy was removed for memory optimizations at this time.  It may return in the future when a better solution is found.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it have been more optimizing to remove an object instead of a flat texture, such as the hammer from every forge, or the frying pan from the oven now that those pieces are obsolete with the place feature? 

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Seriphina said:

Wouldn't it have been more optimizing to remove an object instead of a flat texture, such as the hammer from every forge, or the frying pan from the oven now that those pieces are obsolete with the place feature? 

Not really, since it's still  a "flat texture" for the most part. the problem was rendering a new flat texture as each piece of ivy, much how like terrain detail can be laggy, rendering each piece. Housing is baked into one static image to improve performance (it's still one of the heaviest impacts on performance however simply because of what it is), those images stay outside that baking, meaning it adds up with lots of ivy to render. 

It may return in a more optimised way in the future, but there's a few ongoing projects with priority.