Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Personal Goal post-trauma (pgpt)

Hi
This is for those of you that find themselves listless in the aftermath of the personal goal rush. 
Wurm is about freedom and pride in ones own freedom. (achieving things you love doing)

i believe that the personal goal has engineered many psyches towards doing what codeclub, wants you to do.. instead of that which keeps you playing.
Many people have left because they don't know what to do with themselves to say nothing of internal infractions caused by the panic to `win`.
titling the achievement `winner` is in my humble opinion, quite perverse.

To win the game you need to find your niche and love it. results in a truer kind of pride than that which others expect of us.
That's always been the way.. keeps you playing, free will is an important psycho-motive component.

since everyone got obsessed by personal goals, this concept has been somewhat lost, by many.
the question `what now..` lasted for very few seconds for most of us,  once upon a time. But now im getting more and more reports of the question getting stuck in peoples minds.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a complaint or even, about me.. i saw the danger and walked away till it plays out, i'm still subscribed and i will return without any desire to achieve my, personal goal. 

If you can relate to this condition or have friends that are battling it.. just try to remember what drove you before this happened
maybe have a break, while you do. 

If you love the game and you excel at what you're good at, in it. Both you and the game wins. well done. 
And the best of blessings for the years to come. 

• Like 14

"There are three ingredients in the good life: learning, earning and yearning."

Christopher Morley

• Like 2

Yesterday, at approximately 4:45pm (PST), I completed my personal goals. I was elated from the moment it happened, and at the praise in GL-freedom. About ten minutes later I was just standing around, messing with the catapult I had just used to complete my personal goals, and I asked my friend who was in local... What do I do now? Cry? Move on to an alt? And his response was 'Something like that' lol. I didn't know what to do with myself, so I logged off.

I was wondering where this feeling came from, but now I have a have a better picture ?
I'm not angry, but I just need to shake myself back to doing exactly what I've been doing all along.
Wurm is about doing what you love; find a skill to try, keep yourself adventuring.. If you're not having fun doing whatever it is you're into that day, move onto a different task, get a snack or maybe take a short break :)

Don't lose yourselves to personal goals ❤️ Take time for yourself, and have some fun! Go help others, it'll remind you what the wurm community is all about.

• Like 6

The word 'endgame' upsets me, I don't want this game to end.

• Like 3

I have several thousands of more walls to repair before I am done, but I was sort of already mentally in the state you are referring to before the personal goal madness took hold.

This thread is becoming very real, and says a lot about how the human mind works.
Achieving a goal in itself can be difficult because the next step is hard to imagine after all the work done to just reach that step.
It's a really strange and upsetting feeling. And usually passes after 2-3 days of a time out. And a time out really is the best way to let it pass, just start with a fresh mind.

• Like 1

Definitely felt that “fear of missing out” I’m sure some others have had. While others may just be trying to game the system to boost their own or their mates toons, or he’ll make some coin while they can do it in a way that seems easy for them. 

Finished mine, got the womp womp red cherry. But was happier playing knowing I had finished that and could just return to playing wurm the way I like. It’s the reason I decided against doing it on some alts, even though they have some pretty easy runs it just isn’t worth me devoting more time into it. I make more hourly than I’d get for the time out in that’s for sure lol. 

Now onto my really difficult goals, like finishing this castle ?

• Like 2

Personal goals, as of late, encourage focusing on them a lot, which means being all the more "lost" once they're done.

This basically just happened to me. Spent a shameful number of hours on personal goals, got some nice rewards out of it, and now it's like I can barely remember what my plans were before last weekend, when I did them. Wasn't I... building a deed or something??

• Like 1

Endgame is such a weird thing because if you don't have it, then there is a lack of motivation to reach something, but if you do have it then when you reach it what is there to do?

I won all tomes from valrei on epic, I've won the game several times already in hopes of replacing those on freedom too, I've ascended and had my own religion, I was the ruler of a kingdom for a while, I got 100 in a skill 4 times with 2 that are close that I don't have the motivation to finish, I've got 90-99+ in every crafting skill, I hatched my own dragon, I've killed many of every unique, I don't even know what else there is to add in.  Current "goal" is to complete at least one of every mask/statue from archaeology which is going fast.  I say it all the time on the forums but damn, the only reason I still login is because I don't play alone. 

Wurm needs more fun "endgame" content to strive for though I guess.  Or even more events that don't have to be horse races or mazes

• Like 5

I felt this way when I hit 100 bowyery. I hit it and just ran around for a few hours at a impalong having no clue what to do... I did the last day imping people bows, went home and just logged off, no clue what really to do afterwards. Hitting 100 was end game for me. I still don't have a goal, but do still want to play after 1 1/2 years later. I just need to find a new home, place to settle and so forth.

• Like 1

my philosophy on wurm is such.. if i never strive for any big goals then i just never really reach an end.. so instead i like to travel around and check out what other people have done.. there is so much more i could do and i like it that way, it keeps me coming back and paying prem.. nah if somebody told me i had to do this or that or earn such and such i'd be gone faster than a nickel in a begger's cup....so maybe one day ill decide what mark i would like to leave on the face of Wurm, and hopefully there are some people around to scratch there heads or maybe enjoy it....

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 2:43 AM, Muse said:

The word 'endgame' upsets me, I don't want this game to end.

I agree with Muse, this doesn't seem like a place for endgames, this is a sandbox.

• Like 2

"Now what?"

This is the correct question in Wurm. I think, if you are asking yourself this question, you're doing it right :)

However, you cannot really expect the answer to come from someone else. You have to find your "next". That's the pain and the virtue of a sandbox game.

When someone else starts telling you what to do next ... then it is just another mainstream MMO.

New players most often struggle understanding it, though, and in their case a little "nudge" to the right direction is necessary.

Personal goals, being more topical than ever, is not really a race to "win the game". It's just another thing to do on your list.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:03 AM, Steveleeb said:

just try to remember what drove you before this happened
maybe have a break, while you do. 

And do this. If you cannot find your "next", take some time off. Play real life or other games. Life is a sandbox, too ;)

Personally I've got many things on to-do list and more often than not I find myself doing completely new things. I never planned to domesticate and breed 5-speed trolls, but.. one thing led to another.

• Like 4

I have had this feeling many times before in the game.

I stay offline away for some time.

Then one morning, I wake up inspired by something unforseen. And the idea grows.

"Maybe I should start building a 1800s style frontier fort up north in Xana, where the hunting is good?"

And off I go..

• Like 1

I find it funny people are just now noticing this.  I saw it right away...and havent completed any more goals then i had before.  I really dont intend to either.

I dont need to sell tomes, i have money.

I dont feel the need to complete the silly goals, other stuff to do.

And i dont appreciate the need to use 2 at once just to avoid a debuff from using 1.

The titles cant be turned off and im sorry, i dont find them interesting to be stuck with one.

I'll pass on goals, got other interests.

35 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

The titles cant be turned off and im sorry, i dont find them interesting to be stuck with one.

yes they can

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

yes they can

I'll be giving my source a very hard time, ty for the correction lol

On 9/4/2018 at 8:03 PM, Steveleeb said:

i believe that the personal goal has engineered many psyches towards doing what codeclub, wants you to do.. instead of that which keeps you playing.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:03 PM, Steveleeb said:

To win the game you need to find your niche and love it. results in a truer kind of pride than that which others expect of us.

Steveleeb, You make some good points within your reflective topic about the "Personal Goals" option within Wurm and yet it remains just that, an *option*. This is very much what I like about it since I am free to ignore it if desired, which is just what I am doing. I took a look at it once just out of curiosity and confirmed that I had many more enjoyable options to choose from within the game.

One the other hand, I have no qualms or objections to those who choose to devote their time to it. It really just all is a reflection of one's personality in that some (perhaps many) people are *goal* motivated. More rare I find are people that will just go their own way independently of what are more commonly perceived as what are the standards expected of them by society and Wurm in many ways is just another expression of how the individual behaves in the outside world.

I find it sort of funny (strange) that some people reach a point where they find themselves wondering what to do with themselves within these Wurm worlds. So I suppose I can understand the Devs attempting to put some sort of goal type options into the game to give them some directions to pursue. No harm in this and for them it can be a positive experience. For me the road less traveled is where I choose to venture and as long as it remains open I am content to awaken to the next day and wander on further *seemingly* aimlessly. Yet whose eyes can we look through but our own, be their visions that perhaps none other can see.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Some of the personal goals are just sick, I mean who wants to stand there repairing a wall or fence 6,250 times, sometimes taking more than twice the actions to achieve if your repair skill is low? (that does not even come close to time in gathering the materials for making the repairs) Planting 1000's of trees, okay I can get behind that one, but it is some serious commitment. I did the fence goal and the first thing I noticed was after a year on chaos defending deeds and patching up infrastructure I had only 550~ repair actions done so who thought 6250 was a reasonable goal? Perhaps at a time when fences decayed so much it was a feasible goal, but not in the current state of wurm. A lot of the goals are outdated and should of been turfed along with the near impossible ones of tome titles or god hood. I do think the goals should still be hard to achieve, but not by just making some boring action x5000 to finish.

• Like 3

Everquest introduced Epic Questlines aeons ago. 
horrible buggy mega-quests in the original, much improved over the last 16 years.
these questlines relied on class specific content (scripting) the foundation of which iswas already in the game. 
It wasn't simply a case of `brew 1000 litres of beer`, `kill 10,000 wisps` or `raid crushbone 25 times`, it followed a plot, a very long plot, but it told a story, the reward is something you'd rather keep than sell.
Wurm doesn't have classes, not really.. although we do have titles, titles that demonstrate what individual players are interested in. 

Maybe the forthcoming revamp could be a lore questline that is independently catered depending on a players skill table with an `introduction to wurm` version for those without any skills.
here's a quick example of the original druid one in eq http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-13210.html just to give you an idea of the continuity of the damn thing.
It takes longer than it looks because it is not easy. 
it could be argued that Wurm lacks the NPC content to invent such a thing but i feel that a little (or a lot) of creative thought could find adequate compromises. 
Further debate on the future of personal goals probably, deserves its own thread but feel free to add yer 2¢

Edited by Steveleeb

On 9/5/2018 at 3:58 PM, Xor said:

Definitely felt that “fear of missing out” I’m sure some others have had. While others may just be trying to game the system to boost their own or their mates toons, or he’ll make some coin while they can do it in a way that seems easy for them. 

Finished mine, got the womp womp red cherry. But was happier playing knowing I had finished that and could just return to playing wurm the way I like. It’s the reason I decided against doing it on some alts, even though they have some pretty easy runs it just isn’t worth me devoting more time into it. I make more hourly than I’d get for the time out in that’s for sure lol. 

Now onto my really difficult goals, like finishing this castle ?

Me 100%. 

Personal goal finished, red cherry, alt COULD easily do goals, won't. 

Now I get to build my castle, kill things, and go back to "just playing". 

• Like 3

Finished repairing fences on 3 characters and although each one could be done in a couple of days commitment I feel sick about thinking of doing it on one remaining alt who is priest on top of that...Not to mention that some of gold ones are more tricky. Never the less i got some tomes some of which I traded for the rest that I wanted and I am glad that that is over and I can return to my own personal goals on my main and continue grinding for the skills I want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kochinac said:

Finished repairing fences on 3 characters and although each one could be done in a couple of days commitment I feel sick about thinking of doing it on one remaining alt who is priest on top of that...Not to mention that some of gold ones are more tricky. Never the less i got some tomes some of which I traded for the rest that I wanted and I am glad that that is over and I can return to my own personal goals on my main and continue grinding for the skills I want.

Do you have any advice for fellow fencerepairers?

I am waiting to see the damage go higher so I can repair at least twice on each wall/fence on structures that are off deed.

Maybe its a bad strategy, I dont know.

1 hour ago, griper said:

Do you have any advice for fellow fencerepairers?

I am waiting to see the damage go higher so I can repair at least twice on each wall/fence on structures that are off deed.

Maybe its a bad strategy, I dont know.

I pretty much wandered servers in search for disbanded deeds with wagon full of shards and repaired every curb or low stone wall over 50 dmg I could find, the higher dmg the best ofc but beggars can't choose :) Also repaired wooden fences at old rift spots. I don't advice you to do it on Deli and Rel though :P

• Like 1