Sign in to follow this  
Torgrim

Wurm is too expensive, let us merge accounts and have 3-4 characters per account

This game is most fun when you have a main character and a few priests. Currently it's way too expensive to have more than one account active though. So, a good solution would be to be able to merge several accounts into one and let us play several characters on the same account. There could be an extra fee per simultaneous login, if you want to be able to login with more than one character at a time. 

Alternatively you could make it possible to link accounts so you could get a discount on extra accounts, but this might be too easily abused... 

• Like 1

Because that would destroy a part of the economy. Once everyone can have (and will have) a priest --> everyone got a free source for magic items and there is no need to buy those anymore. Another source for coin would be gone. (and that saying me, that do not sell items at all...). 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, masterqgj said:

Because that would destroy a part of the economy. Once everyone can have (and will have) a priest --> everyone got a free source for magic items and there is no need to buy those anymore. Another source for coin would be gone. (and that saying me, that do not sell items at all...). 

Except it takes a long time to skill up a priest.  And nobody plays a priest as their only char (or very very few), so the ones who have preists now are only the ones who can afford more than one account. So, this change would just makes things more about what you do in game and less about your real life economy. 

I think it would potentially bring back some old players who were used to playing multiple chars but have now gotten bored because it's too expensive to play more than one.

I don't think the game is built around having a main and a few priests. 

Being an MMO the goal isn't to be 100% self reliant, but encourage working with others, if you wish to have a priest for every occasion that's fine, but expect it to take extra effort than just playing your main. 

I'd advise just playing your main and if you need a priest for anything, ask around, offer trades or rent services, don't have to keep a priest premmed at all times. 

• Like 7

+1

Don't care for whiners with loads of money in and outside the game...Maybe 1 extra char for now will be enough. 

Most other mmo's have it. 

Edited by sandokhan

I am not going to comment on your idea, but here is a related thought:

Honestly I can't see how Wurm is "expensive". When looking at ingame prices (and subscription prices too) I always try to compare them with real world expenses - and doing so I think Wurm is really cheap!

Look at this page, for example: https://www.statista.com/chart/14087/the-price-of-a-cup-of-coffee-worldwide/

I take it most of you like having a cup of coffee now and then - when you go shopping, for instance. Well, say you live in New York: you'd pay more than 3 $ for one cup. (5 $ in Zurich, and more than 6 $ in Copenhagen.) Or, let's assume you go out with your friends and have a pint of beer or two in a pub. (Some of us do that more than once a month ;) ). The price for a pint of beer lies between 4.50 $ and 6 $ in the US. I could give you dozens of similar examples for daily expenses you'd usually not give a second thought (fast food, cigarettes, books, sweets...).

We learn that the cost for 1-month premium time is equivalent to only about 2 cups of coffee, or less than 2 glasses of beer. And isn't it a lot more worthwhile? An entire month of having fun with your favorite game as compared to a cup of coffee? Come on...  :)

• Like 7

Hey!

So in Wurm Online we have a publicly available Premium User Graph. However while it may be assumed that this can account for total population of players in game it actually only accounts for premium paid on characters at the given time. If you combine the premium onto four characters, it will brutally kill the revenue of Wurm Online more so than you think.

The Premium Graph does not account for account paid in Silver vs accounts paid in cash. So the actual amount of paying customers may actually be much lower than the graph shows.

Which brings me to my point, if you combine 3-4 characters on 1 premium account, and still allow for the paying of premium with silver, the amount of actual cash flow into the game would be staggeringly low.

Take into account the below graph:

`Yearly' Graph (1 Day Average)

year

Max Average Current
Returning: 3069 players 2582 players 2267 players
Total: 3071 players 2584 players 2269 players

Now if we are to assume that at least 35% of these characters are alts we are left with, 1474.85 actual players. (35% seems conservative to be honest).

Now lets imagine say, 30% are paying in silver in game, no real money exchanging hands. I only say 30% which might seem like a lot but I know how easy it is to obtain silver. That leaves us with about 1032.85 actually paying.

Now those two will probably have overlap, but not factor in that people paying for their characters and alts, now only paying one payment for both.

Yikes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, masterqgj said:

What economy?

The economy that goes from 5% to 15 % depending on how long players stick to the game..

This games economy reminds me of a slot machine , if lucky on the pull of the handle ( making something ) you get a rare roll and it clicks ....

You may win 1 s or 20 s all depends on the RNG .....

I like Wurm its fun pass time , its not ment as a second income like some seem to think ....

Play the game and enjoy if you find no more joy then let go and move or play something else for awhile ..

I too wish I had 2 chars per account but only 1 up at a time is possible like most games , you cant have 2 separate chars up on same account no matter the game ...

make it 2 chars per account , and you will find most will still have separate  account to train  or group with for projects .....

If Wurm had classes i could see some point to that, but in wurm you can be anything you want on one character(almost, yeah priest system is bad i admit). Yeah it's boring to play with one character when making bricks, cotton strings,mine or stuff like that but hey you can always watch some tv show, movie read, one of the reasons i love wurm is that it doesn't always require full attention. If you wanna utilize and make bulks faster on several characters simultaneous well, guess what you have to invest extra money in that or otherwise it could also ruin economy as you mentioned ;)

As for priests restrictions i always thought they are somewhat needed for balance but they violate the prime rule of Wurm that you can be anything you want on a single character and that there is no classes ingame. The way i would handle it would be to break enchanting and magic in separate skills and subskills so you would have to grind each to get desired result like in crafting and of course would bring results closer to skill and remove random flukes. Maybe introduced some way of learning new spells like strong mob drops, add requirements to start grinding some spell lot of room there for ideas to balance it out and not make it too easy. So you want to cast 100 LT you would have to go to trouble of grinding as some miner for getting 100ql ore, you want to cast 100 coc well you will need more effort put same as that miner need to put effort to smith items from ore for example. That way we could ditch restrictions, make magic more complex and interesting and drop priest alts which are tbh mostly alts, few lunatics play as priests only or atleast they have crafter alt also if they consider they priest to be main. But that would be massive overhaul that would need months of carefull planing, rethinking and a lot of work. But i hope it could happen one day :)

Btw @Yaga in Serbia cup of coffe is barely one euro, pint of beer is from 2-3 euros ;) My logic for justifying paying for Wurm is that i would spend more money montly on ciggarets if i were a smoker :D Paying 8 euros per month for premium and ocassionaly paying 5s for my priest is not too much expensive for me.

people with 10 accounts  messed the economy..by creating more stuff and selling cheaper than the other guy and this competition brought prices to nothing

focusing on one character and interact with other for other stuff you need is more fun

i really miss the old days where you had to go to a market and check every merchant for things you want,now you sit on your 10 accounts and spam the trade chat

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

What economy?

For e.g. that one where guys offer improving actions for silver, or that one where COC / WOA / BOTD Tools are getting sold, or that one where lots of bulkware (dirt, sand, clay, tar, crops [...] are sold, or that one, where people sell labour (pan filler, digger, woodcutter....) or ... or ... or ...

Edited by masterqgj

To many people are only concerned about the money thing.

Most people already have at least 1 toon that has the necesary skills for being indepent to other people.

In my case my toon is jack of all trades and i don't have a priest. But ive friends that help me out if i need something like a coc for example.

If i was able to raise a 2nd toon on my account i would create probably a battlepriest. It wouldnt make me any richer. Just for the fun. For the sake of the game: having more fun...isnt that strong point?

• Like 1

+1 to the general idea.

To be honest, I'd love it if Wurm were balanced around having multiple toons always doing stuff online (even if you're not), so I could assign a toon to brick-making, another to praying, another to imping something, and go fight/explore on another.

If I ever prototype a sandbox gameplay, I'm planning to try that... :)

Or instead if free alts are bad, have a decreasing cost payment model the more accounts you're premming, but this would require an account management system

So one prem is 16e, two prem is 16e+12e, three prem is 16e+12e+8e, and so forth.  You're still funding ccab, but you're also being rewarded more for doing so

• Like 4

I prem my main and most important priest per year, It cost me some 720 Skr and I get the 12 sleep powders and 12 months prem, per toon.

I can choose to sell the SP also and then I'd land on around 50 Skr per month, that is half a pizza.

I find the prem cheap, it is the upkeeps that kills my finances.

But then I have around 15 deeds and pay around 1G (1000Skr) a month for them.

On 9/3/2018 at 4:15 PM, Retrograde said:

I don't think the game is built around having a main and a few priests. 

Being an MMO the goal isn't to be 100% self reliant, but encourage working with others, if you wish to have a priest for every occasion that's fine, but expect it to take extra effort than just playing your main. 

I'd advise just playing your main and if you need a priest for anything, ask around, offer trades or rent services, don't have to keep a priest premmed at all times. 

I think you are right that the game was not built for having a main and a few priests, BUT that doesn't mean that the game isn't played like that. 

Is there anybody at all that plays freedom with a single priest account and nothing else?!  My guess is that it's extremely rare. And if I'm right, the game is not played as it was intended, because it's just not any fun at all to play it like that :)

Of course I can play my main only (I notice you said "main" here, because it goes without saying that someone's main is not a priest ;) ), but I do have priest accounts with high skills that I don't want to use because it's too expensive to pay for them just to enchant a few things.

--

For those who compare the monthly cost to coffee or beer, I hear you, but monthly cost is not the only thing that costs in Wurm, there is also the deed costs which are adding on top of that.  Deeds used to be for free some years ago when traders were a good income and when there were enough people playing the game that you could actually reliably sell things you made. If you were fairly active in the game you could pay for deeds without buying silver in the shop. 

For me the game feels a bit too expensive for what it is currently. It has a lot of nice mechanics, the devs are doing a great job introducing new features in a way, but at the same time it's mostly just more of the same and also more and more complex systems that require more and more grinding. Also I live on Xanadu, which is a lagging quite bad most of the time, which removes the fun of exploration quite effectively. If I could make use of all my characters without having to pay 3 times as much it would make the game much more affordable while delivering it's full potential.  

--

Cecci, 2 chars for a year = 160 euro, that's more like 1700 sek, not 720. Selling SP is not always easy either... And yes deeds are costly. 

Like I have said before even if you could have 2 or 100 chars per account you can only play one at a time ..

So if you wish to play a crafter and priest same time its 2 accounts needed ..

And also don't forget internet fees also come into play for gaming , to many people forget its not cheep in some country ...

1 hour ago, Torgrim said:

but I do have priest accounts with high skills that I don't want to use because it's too expensive to pay for them just to enchant a few things.

This can be now done with 5s which is 5euros and you get 15 days to enchant all the stuff you need for quite sometime, maybe even some extra enchants to sell...

there is also the deed costs which are adding on top of that.  

Normal deed costs 1 euro per month and it's quite enough for one player, everything above that is luxury people shouldn't whine about.

For me the game feels a bit too expensive for what it is currently.

Game is very cheap for what it is. It provides living world with decade of history behind it, endless possibilities and stuff to do and somewhat assurance that effort you put in won't be wiped so easily which unlimited servers can't offer.

I do agree that people myself included like to be self reliant in Wurm and doesn't want to pay to much extra for it, that you need several priests alts to achieve that and maybe extra bulk maker and expecially priest thing could benefit from ditching some restrictions and having some adjustments but having all that at cost of one curent premium seems way owerpowered, and whining about price of this game is ridiculous. If you can't afford your playstyle you should adapt it to your budget, we are grown people not spoiled brats

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Or instead if free alts are bad, have a decreasing cost payment model the more accounts you're premming, but this would require an account management system

So one prem is 16e, two prem is 16e+12e, three prem is 16e+12e+8e, and so forth.  You're still funding ccab, but you're also being rewarded more for doing so

This is a great compromise, and actually likely to directly increase revenues by making it more advantageous to pay actual money for premiums.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Torgrim said:

Just playing one at a time is fine, that's normal for MMOs.

If we could play only one character at a time why bother with having second account and reloging just allow everyone to be priests with all spells and crafters... same thing basicly.

23 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Sounds good, wouldnt work.

Youd have whole villages or kingdoms subbing up on one "account". Or at least significant portions of them. New characters would be attached to the roster.

• Like 1

Having skimmed the top of the comments I can only really say that I'd hate to cripple the Wurm admins ability to pay for already taxed servers.

That being said, as a somewhat solitary kind of person & player as well as a very poor disabled person, I'd love to be able to run a second character off my main account. As it stands, I can't sell or service enough to pay for prem with silver for two characters (maybe not even one, soon). If a happy medium could be found to increase the WO player base and create more revenue for server maintenance that would be great. I don't have an idea how that would be done though, so a bit of a pipe dream left for others with more experience. ;)

On 9/8/2018 at 10:57 PM, Fearil said:

ability to pay for already taxed servers.

I would love to see a payment option for people like me, who can not spend too many hours a day playing. For the last premium payment that I made, I had maybe 2 hours of gameplay. This was just too much - I love Wurm, but I have to respect myself too.

• Like 1