Sign in to follow this  
adonies

Ogygia (Vanilla PvE 4096)

Ogygia started on Aug 31, 2018, and it is here to stay!
It aims to provide the original hard-to-survive experience of Wurm.
Login at Esperia and march forth to conquer the 4096x4096 map.
Vanilla: everything 1x, no mods, characteristics start at 19, all skills at 1.
No deeding costs - deed fees enabled.
40k mobs - 50+% aggressive.
Farm tick 23hrs, Mining minimum hits 51.

No shortcuts, no amenities - do you have what it takes to survive?

https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/6560/

Edited by adonies
  • Like 2

Very nice 1x vanilla server run by longtime WO veterans, so not going away anytime soon.

Quiet, no frills, just the original Wurm Experience (TM) !

Plus the map is still wide-open and wild!

dOyW8fS.png

• Like 3

They are up and running the new 1.9 update, with miles and miles of wild and mostly untouched wilderness for those who want a "new server start" with an established server administration.  

Beware --  it's original "old school" vanilla classic wurm,  as close to official WO servers as WU can get.... a nice challenge and change of pace for those getting bored too fast on easier servers.

• Like 1

Nice server, mostly untouched land filled with hellhounds, spiders scorps trolls and crabs.

Will you ever make a more accurate map, like this kind for example

http://www.necropolis.at/necromap/

because the current map only helps with average orientation and I need to put my own markers in paint copy version.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:38 PM, PWreset said:

Nice server, mostly untouched land filled with hellhounds, spiders scorps trolls and crabs.

Will you ever make a more accurate map, like this kind for example

http://www.necropolis.at/necromap/

because the current map only helps with average orientation and I need to put my own markers in paint copy version.

You are welcome on the server!   :)

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I feel it defeats the vanilla spirit to provide such amenities to players.

But if you absolutely need something more, I can provide the 'mapviewer output' zipped file to get better orientation within your browser.

Its size is about 25MB.

You could take a picture every week and make a cool little video after 2 years showing how the map changed over time. I always wished wurm had soem sort of cartographer skill, where poeple could cartograph a specific part of themap that then gets updated to a whole map. Basicalyl like every level of skill would update liek skill/2 tiles around you and update it to a map.

Actually, I do take a picture every 2-3 weeks; it's a cool idea you're proposing!

I'm a big fan of such a cartographer skill as you propose (being an explorer and terraformer and roadmaker myself).

On 4/30/2019 at 9:40 AM, adonies said:

You are welcome on the server!   :)

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I feel it defeats the vanilla spirit to provide such amenities to players.

But if you absolutely need something more, I can provide the 'mapviewer output' zipped file to get better orientation within your browser.

Its size is about 25MB.

I'd actually disagree, since vanilla WO provides to all the PVE players an annual or so "map dump" of the server. Every "classic" Wurm player can open up Wurmpedia and get a high resolution map of their server, not counting community maps on top.  I would love to have access to the 25MB zipped  'mapviewer output'  or even to the original map.png that I think the custom map generator outputs when a custom map is made (shows no roads or deeds, but allows players to see where clay tar and other resources are.)  I'd be happy to arrange for a place to host these outside of Imgur, which renders the map files pretty much unreadable.  I know Flickr does this, maybe some others. Then can keep the currently Imgur map for showing roughly where various deeds are located as many new players like to locate either close to, or far away from, other settlements, and just need a fairly general guide for that.

Ogygia is slightly scarce on resources such as clay or tar, not horridly so but I would say new players to Ogygia have a distinct disadvantage to finding these resources than do new players on the vanilla WO servers who have access to high resolution Code Club map dumps via Wurmpedia

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

For new players, there's signs at Esperia detailing directions and distances to clay, tar and peat.

The mapviewer output bundle has the whole map with deeds and coordinates, with html and css to compose from the grid pieces it contains.

The screenshots from that are what I provide as image maps of the server.

I would very much like it to be hosted somewhere, to be available to everyone for easy reference, but I don't currently have the capacity and cannot be paying for its hosting.

Flickr will host it for free. I can upload it for you and give you the link if you want to email it to me.

* edit: actually Flickr still does compression on larger images so went with allthepics.net which seems perfect for higher res images

On 5/1/2019 at 9:40 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

Flickr will host it for free. I can upload it for you and give you the link if you want to email it to me.

Thank you very much!

Here is the link of the High Resolution ground map for all concerned:   https://i.allthepics.net/map.png

Celebrating 1 year of continuous online presence.

Huge thanks to everyone that's visited, whether they stayed or not!

Here's a link to the map as it is now:

https://imgur.com/tVai24G

All are welcome :)

• Like 1

Still going strong with more players and new maps!

26 Mar 2020
FULL -> https://imgur.com/FMo46yn
CENTRAL -> https://imgur.com/QQzmTG1

• Like 1

Heya o/ I am back and working on my deed again.

One question i have -- a little over a year ago, Wurm devs 'accidentally" introduced a bit of code requiring 20FS in order to repair a guard tower. It was part of an internal discussion on preventing PvP alts from being used to repair guard towers during a siege, and never intended to go "live", retrograd says it "just slipped in" somehow. This bug now makes it impossible for PVE players not focused on "grinding" combat, to play naturally by having a guard tower at their deed while at lower levels. The bug is especially egregious on 1x servers.  Retrograde claims the fix is in "the next update" but that is a year ago and of course, CodeClub has since decided to abandon updates for Wurm Unlimited.   

Is your server using Coldie's patch to fix this bug? It probably makes a major difference on whether I am back on Ogygia for long term or just a drop-in-and-visit-a-bit. I am about to start on a guard tower for my deed, but that's a fairly big project on a 1x server and  I won't bother if I can't imp it high enough to actually have any guards....

I know you are against mods that alter the "classic" Wurm experience, but this was a bug accidentally and briefly introduced, it was quickly fixed for WO players and the fight skill requirement for repairing guard towers no longer exists in WO (and only did so very briefly), and it's NOT intended to be part of the "classic wurm experience" (unless you consider game breaking bugs to be part of the classic wurm experience)

Background on the bug is here:  

Coldie's simple fix for the bug is here: