Sign in to follow this  
Lisabet

Archaeology Journals

Currently, archaeology journals are limited to 22 reports. I quite enjoy doing archaeology myself, and on the pristine server alone I've filled 7 journals during my expeditions.  I'm actually making an 8th today so I can go back out for fragments, because there are many places I haven't visited yet.  But because I have so many journals and they hold so few reports when I stop by an area I've been before but can't remember what the deed names were I end up dragging all 7 journals out so that I don't end up with a copy of a report I've already finished.  This is starting to become a heavy hobby not counting the fragments as I pick those up.

5eceb6e7bd.jpg

My suggestion is that we be allowed to put 100 reports in a journal, 100 is a common number to go into any container and after all the papers are only 0.01kg.  I do understand if this as seen as too much, so at the least could we please put at least 50 in a journal?  At least half the weight in the above picture is the journals themselves, not even taking the reports into account.  

• Like 9

I agree, the paper to cover ratio is rather silly. A small way to alleviate the pain of duplicate reports would be a merging feature (Merge into journal -> Add info to a report of the same deed and consume the report, or return with "No matching report in journal").

In the very least, this way you could go out with one blank journal and merge all the info into a stack of journals at home, unless you rely on them to find the deeds. I actually had this and some other ideas for reports floating around, might post about it later.

Anyway, +1 to a 50 entries journal, seems still reasonable to me.

• Like 2

Yes, I'd love to see more in those. I wish 1 journal would cover it all

+1

I wanted to use the journals and I really did try, but the limitations were too much. Settlements that disband from upkeep can get founded again in the same name, causing duplicate reports. If you're lucky, you might even stumble onto the spot for an old unique slaying deed. Some deeds don't even last. These journals fill up fast. 22 reports per journal is not enough.

If they don't want to turn journals into phonebooks, why not set the cap based on journal quality?

+1 to more. Please.

Here, take my +1. I love doing archaeology. All of it is fun to me. I was really excited to get my first journal entry, but it's filling up fast.

This is exactly the problem I seen with these journals in the 10 minutes I tried one out.

+1 to making it less cumbersum.

+1

I just started this week.
I used 12 pages just in the local around my deed.

22 reports is no where near enough pages for this.

I did not even start to use them - but in the very close vicinity of one of my deeds there are at least 10 old deeds that are reported - some of them with 2-3 founder names (duplicate records of re-deeded spots I suppose). 22 will fill up in local range easily. Please allow100 pages - and it would be great to delete unwanted reports (if not possible yet).

+1 to this. This is exactly what stops me from doing more archeology. I just cant deal with the journals.

pretty please? I'm going to be making a 10th journal and I'm about ready to just not bother with journals which is sad

Idea:

Archeology Library Shelf. Bookshelf that acts as a container exclusively for archeology journals. Stored journals never take decay ticks while effective QL of the Library Shelf is 10 or more

Archeology Journals: Changed behavior, they now check all journals in all library shelves in the archeologist's village on that server. If the Journal Entry already exists, a new one is not made in any journal currently carried. If the entry is not found in any Library Shelf then a new entry is made normally.

Edited by Darmalus

26 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

If the Journal Entry already exists, a new one is not made in any journal currently carried.

What if you found new information, though? This has commonly occured for me as I leveled Archaeology up and was able to gleam more information from deeds that I previously could not. If forgot the right journal or missed it, I couldn't even just start a new report and get the new information in there to discard the other report later?

They really need to stop the decay on journals on deed though, if they haven't already. Have a lot lying around, but it's not like they're quickly rotting away.

+1 here, was excited to start using journals until I filled 1 up with the first stop I made.  +1 as well to the cross-referencing/merging/libraried information ideas for Journals

28 minutes ago, Flubb said:

What if you found new information, though? This has commonly occured for me as I leveled Archaeology up and was able to gleam more information from deeds that I previously could not. If forgot the right journal or missed it, I couldn't even just start a new report and get the new information in there to discard the other report later?

They really need to stop the decay on journals on deed though, if they haven't already. Have a lot lying around, but it's not like they're quickly rotting away.

I was under the impression that new information just kept getting added to same same entry as long as it was the same deed and you had the journal in your inventory? I haven't been watching too closely but I could have sworn that was what happened. Entries that only had the name of the deed now have lots more info as I rework the same area (I gather fruit, sprouts, botanize, forage and investigate each tile in my orchard when its the right season).

Edited by Darmalus

1 hour ago, Darmalus said:

I was under the impression that new information just kept getting added to same same entry as long as it was the same deed and you had the journal in your inventory?

Yes, that's what happens. But the shelf made it sound as though as a new report isn't created not only when you already carry a report for a deed - which is fine, obviously, because then the information does just get added - but ALSO no new entry is created when you have one for this deed at home in a shelf, but in this scenario new information would hardly be telepathically transferred to the journal at home in a shelf, barring you from recording the information unless you went back home and got the journal with that report.

Unless I got something severely wrong about how the entries at home will affect you on the road, that sounds like it's more of a hassle and the whole problem is easier to deal with if we could just merge reports and/or easily discard them. (Emphasis on easily, without sacrificial journals that go to the trash heap.)

A dedicated shelf that would allow for checking a journal against the archive later on when returning, telling us which reports are duplicates and then merging info automatically(and discarding superfluous reports) would be neat though.

In fact, it could be a shelf that acts like one giant Journal that holds many reports, something like a filing cabinet (except more medival, and not as pretty as stacking books in a shelf, but quite functional.)

I like the idea of shelves for journals(and books, paper scripts, almanacs) were they won't decay, but having it keep record of inserted pages seems too much to me, I like the manual part of organiznig and creating reports with selections of my favourite deeds, and sometimes I actually want to have copies...