Sign in to follow this  
FranktheTank

Cndo's Investment Hole

Greetings! 

***First and foremost, I am not a licensed adviser in anyway, in fact I have a political science degree so listening to any stock advice and taking it is at your own risk and I do not recommend. I am creating this for my own and others personal entertainment so you can all watch me lose money. Additionally I am on occasion quite right, often so take that into consideration too. Now that we have that out of the way.

Welcome friends to my hole, come on in do not be shy. 

I am making this section to talk about finance, and suggest reading the above disclaiming if you have not. I am hugely into personal finance and have been for about a year or two and wanted to talk about it with you folks. I know a lot of you are European so that actually adds to the diversity of investing capability and diversity of opinion between us all.

I also will do my best to help others looking to get into personal finance, offer some generally conservative answers. I will also document some of my stupid moves that make me lose a lot as a lesson. 

For full disclosure let me list some of my holdings:

Stocks:

Ford (F)  Sold Ford, will re enter lower.

Ekso Bionics (EKSO) As of 9/1/18 up more than 10% since purchase. Not sure if I will sell soon I want to hold long.

Micron Technologies (MU)  Also sold, 8/31/18 before huge dip, will re enter lower

New:

Electronic Arts (EA) - Huge dip on bad Battlefield news, I think it will recover in time, PT 135.00

Funds: 

S&P 500 Fund (SPY)

Fidelity Contrafund

Now some questions people have I am sure:

Spoiler

Q: Why invest at all? Isn't that just gambling?

A: There are some things more risky than others of course. If you want to risk a lot you can play options on a margin account (don't), if you want to play it safe, bonds, CD's, and Index funds are usually pretty safe. Also REIT's.

Q: What does ____ Mean?

A: Any acronym I can try to explain but google is faster

Q: Why are you posting this?

A: I am just looking to talk about finance with others, it is a hobby of mine at this point and I think other people might like it! I have been trading for what has to be close to 2 years now, and like talking about finance.

Q: Is this against forum rules?

A: From the rules I know it is not, but this might be a new rule, hopefully not.

Q: Do you recommend ____?

A: I have no problem telling you what I think, even if it is "No idea!"

Q: Will ____ go up or down?

A: I remember hearing this great quote when people ask this, "This stock is guaranteed to go up, down, or sideways!" Sometimes stocks go up, somethings they go down, it is what Warren Buffet calls "Mr. Market". Sometimes Mr. Market is having a great day, everything is fine, then the next day he dropped his ice cream cone. Only through actual research can you really make the best decisions, or invest in what you know, like Buffet!

Q: What experience do you have?

A: Again, not a lot to document. Been trading about 2 years now, I read books on trading, watch a lot of free courses from Professors and Financial Planners. I just like the subject.

So what do you invest in? If nothing why? 

Edited by FranktheTank

I invest in those bars that don't have windows for some reason.

And I recycle the cans I bring of course, make a decent amount back! 

• Like 1

I used plus500 to trade commodities on a "training account", understood very little, lost the training money, never went back. It seems like an interesting concept but I don't know what are the "safe" ways to invest on short term investments.

Currently trading ForEx on Revolut platform and that works very well for me ? Crypto currencies are predictable in a way, I have been mining since the beginning, then switched to trading because it's much easier and pretty much instant and I know what happens in the industry. Revolut also claims to have the best rates between banks so I tested that, bought dollars for x amount of Euro, bought Jen using those dollars and sold the Jen for Euro. made a nice chunk in under a minute because of reasons -_-.

I don't advocate using any of those platforms though, any and all can be "hacked"/compromised, risk is always there, values change, companies go under, things happen. Only invest money you can afford to lose.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Locath said:

I used plus500 to trade commodities on a "training account", understood very little, lost the training money, never went back. It seems like an interesting concept but I don't know what are the "safe" ways to invest on short term investments.

Currently trading ForEx on Revolut platform and that works very well for me ? Crypto currencies are predictable in a way, I have been mining since the beginning, then switched to trading because it's much easier and pretty much instant and I know what happens in the industry. Revolut also claims to have the best rates between banks so I tested that, bought dollars for x amount of Euro, bought Jen using those dollars and sold the Jen for Euro. made a nice chunk in under a minute because of reasons -_-.

I don't advocate using any of those platforms though, any and all can be "hacked"/compromised, risk is always there, values change, companies go under, things happen. Only invest money you can afford to lose.

I played the crypto game myself for a bit, made a LOT right before the ripple boom, but didn't quite understand how far ripple would drop.

Forex is a mystery to me, but people tell me my work experience and background would be great for it (international affairs).

I invest in food and ammo.  Most of what I sell off in wurm fuels those two commodities.  My wife doesn't like it, but when the power goes for good what's she gonna say then?  

I dabble in investing in stocks, bonds, and different types of funds myself. I have done this with some success for about 3 years now. 

Couple questions... 

What kind of a, trader are you? Day trader, short term, long term, do you short stocks? 

Yes the game is, very complicated with so many variables it is mind boggling at first for sure. But I have settled on long term investing with different funds, or indexes. I stay away from markets that are too volatile. Individual stocks are something I think about and talk with other friends but rarely trade anymore. Way? Because of the volatility of the market. 

Also I do read stuff by Warren buffet and his ideas about investing seem to be sound, and his track record speaks for itself. 

What, are your thoughts on the market as it relates to the current NAFTA overall by Trump? I'm curious. 

1 hour ago, CrazyDad543 said:

I dabble in investing in stocks, bonds, and different types of funds myself. I have done this with some success for about 3 years now. 

Couple questions... 

What kind of a, trader are you? Day trader, short term, long term, do you short stocks? 

Yes the game is, very complicated with so many variables it is mind boggling at first for sure. But I have settled on long term investing with different funds, or indexes. I stay away from markets that are too volatile. Individual stocks are something I think about and talk with other friends but rarely trade anymore. Way? Because of the volatility of the market. 

Also I do read stuff by Warren buffet and his ideas about investing seem to be sound, and his track record speaks for itself. 

What, are your thoughts on the market as it relates to the current NAFTA overall by Trump? I'm curious. 

For the first question:

I consider myself primarily a "value trader" while I would love to be a day trader I cannot tie up 25k in the markets to actually participate in pattern trading unless I wanted to go to a brokerage that participates in T+0 trading. I hold things primarily day to day, while holding others for a long terms like Ford. I see a dip, on a company I like I buy, it goes up I sell.

Second question:

I think the markets are great right now in terms of how volatile it is, if you do not like that you won't have a great time. Chinese stocks are being heavily discounted like JD.com, Alibaba, and Sogou. I will buy these when trade talks go bad, then sell when people forgot about a week or two later.

Auto stocks got a big boost from an agreement with Mexico, I assume much of the same on an actual NAFTA replacement.

My main concern lies in a possible large scale pullback, coming soon. But at that point we are all boned beyond the stock market.

• Like 1

All I've got ticking over currently is around 20 different crypto of varying amounts, some parked Landbay stuff and some fintech startup interest. Did some day trading a year or so ago, but it wasn't for me. I much prefer the set-it-and-forget-it method (hodl) and go about my life.

• Like 1

Set and forget is fun and nice, been looking into that fore REIT (real estate investment trusts) and just collect dividends.

I need to gather more capital before investing into single business ideas, like startups.

WOW What a day today has been.

Multiple stop losses triggered on a majority of my holdings, really sad about that. But today's down market is a buying opportunity.

I jumped into Visa - V because I feel it can rebound at these levels. The rest of my cash portfolio is sitting and waiting for an opportunity I like. 

In other news, I had a 12.5 Put on GE, I bought this last week when GE was floating around the 12.90 range. I only figured I would make a few bucks on it in about 24hrs or so. Well I was wrong.

GE opened yesterday in the 12.70 range, then continued to trade sideways until today when it opened at 12.34 well in the money on the contract. It was a 400% gain and a victory I desperately needed to stave off any threat of losses today.

Investment hole update:

My long time love, Micron has finally died, but not before I dropped 42.5 puts on its butt.

What an easy 240% gain (it would have been 400% if I took additional risk). 

On a side note I am putting money into robotics, because they are good at making things.

ABB Group

#hodlgang #margintrade Biggest decline in altcoin market cap was in 2014. It was -86% with a total duration of 266 days before a massive correction. Today we are sitting at a decline of -85% in 252 days. Rebound incoming. 

2 hours ago, Trake said:

#hodlgang #margintrade Biggest decline in altcoin market cap was in 2014. It was -86% with a total duration of 266 days before a massive correction. Today we are sitting at a decline of -85% in 252 days. Rebound incoming. 

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, enricodandolo said:

i have 40,000 shares of micron just bought it today did i do good

Prepare to hold for at most a year.

Update: if you actually did this you would have made $53,600 today.

Edited by FranktheTank