Sign in to follow this  
hemrzz

Creating an ongoing market in WURM

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

None of that does anything to make Wurm a better game for 95 percent of players.  It's only meant to make the game more profitable for 5% of players. 

As always, the ONLY ones to benefit are a tiny minority of the top skilled crafter characters, a very large number of whom never even earned those skills themselves but instead purchased characters for the sole purpose of making money off the other 95%. The game is an "economic game" for them, because for them that aspect of the game is the most fun.  You invest, you profit. I get that. It's too bad those days were already doomed ten years ago. Wurm's economy is based on a broken model, and ruining the game in order to "fix it" for 5% is worse than no fix at all.

In fact, the very smartest thing Wurm devs can do, is NOT to try to fix something broken beyond repair, and instead try to make Wurm a much better game for the 95% who do not consider the "game economy" to be it's most compelling feature. The game economy will always be there, it is not ever going away. Some will always make very good incomes off it, and in fact even make real life profits.  It is also not going to "get better" by improving ways to move yet more real life money from the majority of players, to the top moneymaker toons.

Instead, work on UI, tutorials, game polish, community interactions, combat & pvp, and after all of that is done, only then work on advertising.

Not trying to increase populations simply in order to increase profits for some, but to make the game a more enjoyable experience for everyone. 

Larger populations will help crafter characters too, but that's not the primary reason we need larger populations. 

Well said.

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

snip

Edited by JakeRivers

If you seriously want to improve the economy spend some time on the tutorial server and welcome those brave enough to try Wurm for the first time.  It doesn't cost you a thing and the devs don't have to make anymore unnecessary changes to the game that will further alienate the dwindling playbase.  Make an alt and be an ambassador to game. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, madnezz said:

If you seriously want to improve the economy spend some time on the tutorial server and welcome those brave enough to try Wurm for the first time.  It doesn't cost you a thing and the devs don't have to make anymore unnecessary changes to the game that will further alienate the dwindling playbase.  Make an alt and be an ambassador to game. 

To add to this, allow those who are willing to reach out to players in this fashion the ability to make a new account on the tutorial, and "teleport" to the zones in the tutorial.

Someone having trouble with the barrel items? *teleport* "here let me show you"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

To add to this, allow those who are willing to reach out to players in this fashion the ability to make a new account on the tutorial, and "teleport" to the zones in the tutorial.

Someone having trouble with the barrel items? *teleport* "here let me show you"

Not a bad idea, someone with a tutorial alt could get an alert when new players enters the zone then you could offer advice if they get stumped inside the tutorial rat maze while trying to figure out why they can't pick anything up inside the zone. New players need every advantage they can get to try and get them to stay and play.

• Like 1

Why not make a server broadcast (pve only) to announce new characters.  Freedomers are pretty friendly and love to help or guide.  But if we don't know the new players are there we can't help them.

Also rename CA chat tab to Community Help tab.  New players have absolutely no idea what CA means.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

I have made this suggestion before:  have actual deeds on Golden Valley where new players can join to learn more from a mentor.  Right now if you log into the game as a new player chances are you will not see any activity or anyone in local for that matter and if you do they are just as clueless as to what's going on.  If there were actual villages in local of the tutorial there is a much higher chance they will see activity, hear stuff being done, ask questions, and engage.  The tutorial in its current form is a disaster.   It should be the highest priority of the development staff if they truly want the wurm to thrive.  Do they want Wurm to grow is the question that needs to be answered, I have yet to see any indication that they do in the 5+ years I have been playing.  The tutorial has actually gotten worse since I started.  A billion pop-ups now and no interaction = delete this dumb game.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 2

Yeah, the pop-up spam really needs to get ripped out. 

It's visually assaulting. 

Reminds me of this episode of ATHF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCBv6C8jGHo

I agree with having a deed/deeds on the tutorial server, allowing players to port there to help new players, or some kind of player to player interaction available. 

Edited by Trake

Forcing players to live isolated on GV to provide a semblance of life on a server is the right idea (create more activity on first impression) but I don't think it's the best way to do this.

We're looking at options and radically changing things up, because it doesn't hurt if we do. I myself have been working on the new tutorial stuff, which involves better visuals and integration, hope to have something to share very soon! 

I seem to remember people happy with the fact they had access to deeds on Golden Valley when I first started playing.  You wont be forcing anyone.  If anything being a mentor to new players should be a very desired thing to do with perks and bonuses and an easy way to go back and forth from GV to Freedom at a moments notice.

This is something you can do today, right this minute, to capture the new players that are logging in this holiday weekend.  Make a portal from freedom to GV and allow players to make deeds, job done.  You can tweak it anytime thereafter. 

Having uber future plans is great and all but letting 1000s of players slip through because designing poorly thought out pvp changes or a cooking update, for instance, is more fun than attracting and retaining new players but it clearly illustrates exactly what is causing the problems referred to in this thread.

Edited by madnezz

23 minutes ago, madnezz said:

This is something you can do today, right this minute, to capture the new players that are logging in this holiday weekend.  Make a portal from freedom to GV and allow players to make deeds, job done.  You can tweak it anytime thereafter. 

Gv isnt a server built around having players actively living on it, it's capacity and hardware is severely reduced, it was something I contemplated and explored the possibility of, but the simple fact is it's main purpose is the login server, and adding extra load on that could have extremely negative impacts. 

If you want, you're welcome to have an account sit in the tutorial and talk to new players as they come in and answer questions though, it doesnt require being staff, nor having your own deed there, you can literally hang on the little deed and answer any questions they have 

On 8/30/2018 at 12:33 AM, hemrzz said:

After you imp an item you need to "seal" the item to be able to use it.. Once the item is sealed you can only repair/mend the item and you are no longer able to imp it.

+1

On 8/30/2018 at 12:33 AM, hemrzz said:

Drake and scale are an exception to this rule.

also to be fair, It doesn't ruin the fun for all of those who don't participate in economy. A player who resides on their own would see themselves improving a lot of stuff in order to grind their skills, and simply not using the extra. It would be nice improving 10 pickaxes, shovels, and hatchets because I need them. Much better than 30 needles because I need to higher skill to imp 2 pickaxes, shovels, and hatchets. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, Nomadikhan said:

Why not make a server broadcast (pve only) to announce new characters.  Freedomers are pretty friendly and love to help or guide.  But if we don't know the new players are there we can't help them.

Also rename CA chat tab to Community Help tab.  New players have absolutely no idea what CA means.

So new players don't get spammed by gold diggers.

• Like 1