Sign in to follow this  
hemrzz

Creating an ongoing market in WURM

After you imp an item you need to "seal" the item to be able to use it.. Once the item is sealed you can only repair/mend the item and you are no longer able to imp it. Drake and scale are an exception to this rule.

This would create a ongoing market for wurm .. you no longer have that tool set / armor / boat etc for life it would need to be replaced later down the road.

Rares supremes and fantastic items have the damage reduction same as as some of the metals now..

Please send all hate pm's to mondain in game thanks.

• Like 3

I have to -1 based purely off the notion that this is just a bandaid for the developers/GM's failure to create real incentive for crafters and to stimulate the economy of the game in other ways, and would give them little reason to ever consider it in future.

I'll elaborate more, not on the idea, but on the other approaches that the creators of this game could take to effectively (and more healthily) achieve the same end-result.

How about uhm... like... Actually advertising for the game? The reason this is a problem now, and never was in the past 11+ years this game's been around, is because of the saturation of the market with high-end accounts versus the incomparable and abysmal-at-best influx of newly subscribed players.

At the moment, anyone who joins this game has the option to buy a crafting account with 70+, 90+ stats in just about every single thing they would ever need on freedom. (all smithing skills, carpentry skills, mining, digging, etc)

Therefore, anyone who needs such a tool, can easily create it themselves, thereby making the economy and the ability to sell things to people even for horribly undercut prices completely implausible.

The few that choose not to, they buy one set of tools that truly does last them an eternity, but at the cost of having to pay someone to imp it for them every now and then. (And there is nothing wrong with that, this is the main driving force behind 90% of your business as a blacksmith on Freedom, are reimps) The real problem here, simply seems to me, that there are not enough new players to stimulate such an economy. There is no one starting the game fresh on their own, non-purchased character that has no pre-built skills, that have a need to buy such tools because they are incapable of creating it themselves.

5 years ago, 90+QL tools with 90+ casts:

1) Were nowhere near as easy to manufacture en-masse;

2) Were not something that everyone and their grandmother could create;

3) Were not even something that 90% of players needed or required, being well out of the price range for a budding newcomer to the game. Most people except for the high-end players, which there used to be few of, could even utilize such a tool to its full potential.

To get this to work properly, as it has for years now, you need newer players who are actively skilling themselves up in the game. Someone reaching say, 70 Blacksmithing, can only imp to 75 QL, but they might be in the market and think "Hey that's a nice hammer, that could help my smithing out a lot!" and so they buy it.

Making something disposable is simply not a proper way to create incentive for a market or an economy in this fashion.

If a Japanese car maker makes their cars so good that they never need to be replaced, do you think they would start making them out of paper?

No. They attempt to increase their reach to a potential customer-base.

TL;DR - Do something to fix the population of the game and bring new players in, and you will fix your economy. -1.

Edited by whereami
muh grammers
  • Like 2

-1 As well. It's quite the hypocrisy that drakes and scales set are left out, sorry but if you wanna go with something go all the way. The fact that you had to specify those out says how terible idea is. Also in that circumstances why would anyone put 20-30s worth of imbues on anything? If I lock supreme chisel to 95ql lets say how long will it last me untill it drops to 90ql which is crap in my eyes now? Why would I bother having it supreme? Like whereami said most economy comes from reimping so it will change literally nothing to economy.

I don't like the thought of limiting the lifespan of addy/glimmer/seryl tools, weapons and armor, same goes for rare/supreme items.  It is enough work to re-imp weapons back to 90 ql to keep hunting.  Shouldn't have to re-create, re-imp from 0 and re-enchant after a couple days of hunting.

• Like 2

-1 this would screw over so many new players on their road to making their own items and would solidify the position of people with high skill as being the only ones able to make items that are worth while

With this suggestion why would anyone want to have a ql 50 item that would be gone within a week or 2-3 of actively grinding or just usage it would just solidify the high skill smiths as why have a ql 50 when a ql 92 would last so much longer

-1 I'm with Whereami, fix the population. there is only like 2 ad videos I've ever seen for wurm online and they just sit on youtube, never get advertised outside of that and the only link i've seen for it is on the homepage of wurm, and it's embedded. Sounds like Wurm needs a public relations team TBH, volunteer or not.

• Like 1

You don't have things for life, they have to be imped at some point to retain their effectiveness. If players are already imping their own items, they could also make them easily enough if required. If they aren't imping their own items, then there is an ongoing market for this.

I guess it would create a higher need for enchants though.

A bigger issue is long-time players having high skills in dozens of crafts and a second account they use to do enchants. Changing this would make a lot of these players angry though, so we're stuck.

The designers of Wurm probably should have limited the number of skills you could have over 50 to a small number to encourage more specialization and trade but they weren't looking ten years into the future when they designed this game. So now you've got a lot of uber accounts that can do everything.

people keep saying that the lack of new players is the problem, and if there were more coming in that would fix everything - it wouldn't.

A good economy needs to be self sustaining with a stable population. You cant expect a infinite influx of players, no matter how good the advertising is the rate of intake will always slow down and your population will get top heavy with skilled players. 

In regards to making stuff disposable not being an answer and using Japanese cars an example - making products intentionally shitty so ppl keep having to buy new or additional services is absolutely something that is done - just look at the controversy in the new when it became clear samsung designed their phones to intentionally slow down after 2 years. Also - as for going after new customers as the preferred business model, markets get saturation, you reach the point where everyone has the thing your selling its happing right now with all manner of products.

Don't get me wrong, the WO population definitely needs drastic improvement but it wont fix a broken economy, it will just give it a jolt of electricity so it twitches and looks alive for a time.

What it boils down to is the economy needs reliable consumption. There needs to be a reason to freely spend cash and a way to get more cash. Getting more can be done in a number of ways but the real issue is creating a reason for people to keep spending, even in an aging population where people have established deeds and lots of personal skill.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Poshy said:

You don't have things for life, they have to be imped at some point to retain their effectiveness. If players are already imping their own items, they could also make them easily enough if required. If they aren't imping their own items, then there is an ongoing market for this.

I guess it would create a higher need for enchants though.

A bigger issue is long-time players having high skills in dozens of crafts and a second account they use to do enchants. Changing this would make a lot of these players angry though, so we're stuck.

The designers of Wurm probably should have limited the number of skills you could have over 50 to a small number to encourage more specialization and trade but they weren't looking ten years into the future when they designed this game. So now you've got a lot of uber accounts that can do everything.

I thought about limiting the number of high level skills too but people would just create alt accounts : /

7 minutes ago, CountZero said:

I thought about limiting the number of high level skills too but people would just create alt accounts : /

That is pretty shitty solution. The main reason I play Wurm is that I can skill as many skills as I want if I put time in it unlike other games. I'm generaly pushed back by limitations of classes in games. When I first saw this game I think I read something like you could be anything you want, no classes and that bought me (turned out it's not so true for priests but oh well...). Trading accounts is cancer though, I wish there was a way to prevent that but hardly that's going to happen

1 hour ago, kochinac said:

That is pretty shitty solution. The main reason I play Wurm is that I can skill as many skills as I want if I put time in it unlike other games. I'm generaly pushed back by limitations of classes in games. When I first saw this game I think I read something like you could be anything you want, no classes and that bought me (turned out it's not so true for priests but oh well...). Trading accounts is cancer though, I wish there was a way to prevent that but hardly that's going to happen

mmm, its not a good solution for various reasons. Tbh i think the OP was as close to a workable idea as any thus far. Veteran plays need a reason to spend money which means they need to consume stuff they either cant get themselves or cant be bothered to get themselves. Options I can think of are building matts,  food, tools/weapons.

Building matts are kinda good but not quite as construction projects come to an end. Food would kinda work except its too easy to make your own food and you cant make it harder because its a basic necessity of survival. 

Which leaves tools and weapons - if these became way, waaay more disposable (wear out/break much faster) then ppl would have to keep making/buying them.

Of course people don't like anything that would restrict them or slow them down and this would only create an economy for blacksmiths/tool makers which isnt great. 

Lots of people don't play this game for the "market" they play for fun,friends and creativity,more probably play this style then merchants ,go ahead  make it a traders game and see the number tumble so much there will be no one left to sell to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

Lots of people don't play this game for the "market" they play for fun,friends and creativity,more probably play this style then merchants ,go ahead  make it a traders game and see the number tumble so much there will be no one left to sell to.

Freedom market is second most popular subforum on Wurm Online forums. Telling, that market doesn't matter is BS. Everyone wants to sell stuff(yes, even those creative guys, noone is allergic to cash). Noone wants to buy, that is the problem.

And CountZero is right, healty market would work no matter whether there are 1000 players or 100000 players, trading would happen in just different magnitude. Until now it was like a pyramid scheme, where things were going well, until lots of new players were coming. Influx of new players stopped and the pyramid just collapsed.

Edited by rixk

8 minutes ago, rixk said:

Freedom market is second most popular subforum on Wurm Online forums. Telling, that market doesn't matter is BS. Everyone wants to sell stuff(yes, even those creative guys, noone is allergic to cash). Noone wants to buy, that is the problem.

And CountZero is right, healty market would work no matter whether there are 1000 players or 100000 players, trading would happen in just different magnitude.

Oh you judge a games strength of it's forum count ...terrific!!! I guess the GM's don't count they have a measly sub forum count :P

Edited by Toecutter

15 minutes ago, CountZero said:

Tbh i think the OP was as close to a workable idea as any thus far.

Except OP will change very little in the market, buying new 90+ql tool even enchanted one when  you  need  it is now maybe cheaper than paying for imps to maintain high ql because there is so much sellers.. It will only make more people quit because their rares and supremes becomes even more worthless.

4 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

Oh you judge a games strength of it's forum count ...terrific!!! I guess the GM's don't count they have a measly sub forum count :P

And you wanna say, that trading forums popularity doesn't show anything?

While I don't think a market is actually all that necessary in this game, i think what most ppl want it for is the player interaction.

Yes, sometimes youl be building a big thing and youl stop and think "damn i wish i could just buy the matts" and sometimes youl wish you had better quality stuff which a market could provide. There will also be frustration to newer solo players who are leveling one or two skills a  lot but getting to a point where they need other skills up to carry on with their main skill progression - theyd wish they could buy the bits they need.

But in general I think ppl are looking for a sense of purpose. Whats the point of putting all that effort into getting that skill? Once you have made your own set of tools etc what do you do with your skill then? Help other people? what if no one needs help?

If there was an active economy they see they could make stuff to sell and get money for whatever reason they would need it (a reason that currently doesnt exist).

I think ppl just want an economy as something to do and validate their skill grinding effort

Edited by CountZero

5 minutes ago, rixk said:

And you wanna say, that trading forums popularity doesn't show anything?

Ok lets see? your logic is trading is dying,but it's the second most popular sub forum count?????

Yes trading is a great option to have in wurm,but you go effecting  EVERYONE'S gameplay  and fun,you will  leak players.

Edited by Toecutter