Sign in to follow this  
moonpie

Bulk storage beyond crates/bsb's for shards/logs

The issue(At least i think there is one)
Storing loads of shards/logs can take up loads of crates/bsb's and fill your storage area's with crate racks and don't think a crate or bsb should be primarily used for long term storage of shards and logs

The idea

A "storage cellar" of some kind that on the surface level looks like a cellar door that leads into the ground and when right clicked on lets you open it and store shards in it(no ql sorting) and amount of shards stored is based on amount of "storage tiles" it has available
So where would these storage tiles come from? well the mine layer of course
In a mine under the cellar door you would create a storage tile(texture similar to reinforced wooden wall maybe?) that takes up the whole tile and costs a lot of materials(120 planks 10 ribbons 20 large nails) and would provide 1k of shard storage per tile
Making more room would be as simple as making a other tile next to it so that they would link up and increase the size of storage
Storage tiles of different storage cellars can not be build next to each other so a 1 tile gap has to be between them
Functionality of moving things in and out of it would be similar to that of crates and bsb transfer between them(the fast moving)
If the storage cellar item above ground is destroyed(bashed decayed what ever) and thus the storage tiles have no cellar door on them a person can put a new door onto it and gain access to it but if no door is on it the storage tiles they will decay and their contents will be deleted any time a tile is destroyed(eg 10 tiles 10k storage 1 tile decays 1k is lost)
Decay for logs would be near minimal as you kinda have to see it as a dry sealed up area so logs can last a very long time before even taking a single tick(storage tile will decay if no door is present before logs take damage kinda thing) and if door is on deed no decay at all until storage tile itself decays(if the storage tile is off deed)
Storage tiles in mines can be destroyed by bashing them(by anyone on pvp and by owner/anyone with manage on pve if on deed/perimeter and by anyone period if no door is left on them)
A door lock could be attached to secure the cellar door so that no one can get in
A cellar door can be repaired and imped after being placed
A cellar door would last off deed maybe a year or 2 max if used regularly and maybe a year max if not often used(similarly to roads and their decay)
The material quantity is based on 20 per wall(similar to houses) with 40 planks used as ways to separate the shards from 1 and an other(not actually part of the code or the game play but just a justification for the quantity used)

What do you guys think of it?

Yes i know it would be hard to make but in terms of code the storage cellar is nothing more then a building/object that checks the tile it is on but then in the mine layer for any storage tile's and then checks how many are connected to see how much it can store so the storage tile's are in a way just decoration for immersion purposes and to have a proper material investment for increased storage beyond that of a crate or bsb

• Like 1

+1

Like the idea of having a cellar. Maybe instead of only allowing it to be a "cellar" give players the option to build small houses for this purpose? like a 4by4 storage house or so.

+1

But 1k stored amount seems small, as bsb holds around 800 shards/logs.

-1. Seems overly complicated for no reason. I agree that we might need better option for storing wood and stone(although crate racks helped a lot with it) but cellar doesn't seem like the right place for it...

• Like 1

This is a cool idea, but it sounds like a nightmare to implement and actually use.  It would be better to build something entirely above-ground.

Hmm, I don't really see the need for this – in its current form it would be a lot more work for no real benefit over existing storage options. We already have the ability to make a cellar storage area laid out any way we like it. Just open a mine, carve out some space, reinforce, build a storehouse (if you want), and fill with virtually limitless containers. Not sure what the actual limit is, but using crate racks filled with large crates you could probably cram 50,000-100,000 (and maybe more?) shards into a single tile right now.

I'd rather see specific storage bins, one limited to shards and another to logs. The first might hold, say, 2k shards and take twice as much mats/work to make as a bsb; and the log store unit might hold, say, 500 logs and take very little work to make, since logs really are pretty easy to stack and store irl. These specs would make both units more desirable storage options than what's currently available.

• Like 2

Don't crate racks and bulk container units essentially fill that niche?

With crate racks, you can fit 9000 shards/logs per rack, with multiple racks per tile. Seems like more than enough.

• Like 2

Well any numbers posted are just an example to give the idea of what does what nothing more :)

utility wise, you aren't going to be able to exceed the ability to store 9000 items in a single container (crate rack), trying to balance around the ability to do that won't end well, you'll either have needless complication in order to make it store more, or limited use because it isn't complicated. 

For visual wise, a rock storage or log storage could add a nice aesthetic. Poor saroman has his nose to the whetstone though, but I'll speak with him about the potential if he needs a break 

• Like 1

In my view the current items to store bulk mats are serving very well the purpose of the hoarders like me. I have countless shards and logs stored neatly in small storage areas using the crate racks.

On the other hand it would be awesome to be able to have cellars with a cellar door on the floor and a ladder - or a flight of stairs to get down to the mine. Perhaps a special mine structure that connects to the surface with its' ceiling? (I hear devs screaming :P )