Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 067

pOsMd4I.png

Fo - Theodin

Greetings, Wurmians! Time sure flies when you’re having fun, and these past two weeks have gone fast! We’ve been hard at work testing and ironing out the new priest and spell changes to get them ready for release. Unfortunately, with the sheer amount of things being changed, internal testing is ongoing. So while it’s not quite ready for public testing yet, we do have some exciting things to share with you today. But first…

Patch Notes

Spoiler

• Addressed many memory leak issues and lowered the general memory usage
  • Activate keybind will now work in opened inventory container windows
  • Fixed clone characters and creatures
  • Fixed certain items going invisible when placed on another item
  • Fixed the image-in-image issue in caves
  • Fixed emissive models showing through trees
  • Fixed phantom tree collision after crossing a server
  • Fixed invisible/flickering players and objects

Hellishly Cute

KdibQkL.jpg

That’s right! Along with the upcoming unicorn foal model, there will also be new adorable hell foals! They will still have their own color texture, just with added cuteness. Expect to see them next update.

Modern Renderer

We’d like to thank everyone for their feedback regarding the modern renderer. We’ve addressed the issues with stability and memory usage (with the client--not sure if the same can be said about us), so starting next update, the modern renderer will be the default renderer. The legacy renderer will still be available as an option in settings, but will be phased out in the future.

Discord Twitter! 

Thanks to resident Discord genius Capi, we've integrated Twitter feeds of important announcements for freedom and chaos into Discord! You'll be able to keep track of things such as deed foundings, legendary creature spawning, and HotA! 

To check it all out, visit our official Discord server here!

https://Discord.gg/wurm

Resisting!

One question we've seen is how resistances vs spells will work, with the increase of viability in offensive and AOE spellcasting. The way of approaching this for us was aimed at avoiding cases where spells could be spammed and increase diversity in casting, so we've implemented a system that will have individual resistances apply, each balanced around the specific spell in question.

This gives us the ability to balance resistances against the spell effects,, without impacting spellcasting in general. Spell resistances will vary from 2 to 5 minutes at 100% resistance, and will be visible in both spell effects and icons. 

I'm looking forward to it, and I hope you are too! 

A-better-view-spring

(It’ll catch on, I promise!) The Newspring starter deed redesign contest had two unique entries, and it’s up to all of you to pick your favorite. To check out the entries and vote for your favorite, go here:

That's it from us this week, We'll be continuing to work on the priest changes and hopefully in the next week or so we'll be at the stage we can open it to public testing, we've still got our dev team under the hood making sure the mechanics are sound, after that we'll be looking for you all to join us in several testing events to see how it goes, from simulated fighting to more structured combat, taking your feedback on each spell and whether it feels overpowered or underpowered, and also feedback on the other aspects of priest play. 

Until then though, keep on wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 8

why does breeding have to get worse and take longer just because some people find the creatures that last a week to be cute

literally anyone breeding from scratch not only has to deal with horse foals but now hell horse and unicorn foals which greatly extend the amount of time breeding to get good horses, and now it will take even longer to get pvp mounts

• Like 9

The hell foals are cute.

And yeah, it's for realism that it takes longer. lol

Edited by Wiolo

12 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

why does breeding have to get worse and take longer just because some people find the creatures that last a week to be cute

Ah, but you answer your own question.

• Like 5

The Modern graphics render has worse performance. With legacy I get 30 FPS (it's caped at that). With modern I get around 15 FPS. Wurm, maybe the modern has got better graphics but it doesn't run as efficiently as the legacy. My only concern here is that it seems legacy will be removed at some point.

15 minutes ago, joedobo said:

The Modern graphics render has worse performance. With legacy I get 30 FPS (it's caped at that). With modern I get around 15 FPS. Wurm, maybe the modern has got better graphics but it doesn't run as efficiently as the legacy. My only concern here is that it seems legacy will be removed at some point.

Please let us know what your system specifications are. There'll still be improvements made to the modern renderer, but right now it should be better performing than legacy on all but the oldest machines.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what my specs are. An improvement is one where the game runs the same as it did before but with the potential for better graphics. I guess it doesn't matter because it sounds like Wurm has decided anyone with old machine specs xyz isn't worth considering.

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

The legacy renderer will still be available as an option in settings, but will be phased out in the future.

I, too, hope that future is not too soon, my old machine won't be able to handle new render for sure :(

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, joedobo said:

It doesn't matter what my specs are. An improvement is one where the game runs the same as it did before but with the potential for better graphics. I guess it doesn't matter because it sounds like Wurm has decided anyone with old machine specs xyz isn't worth considering.

It does matter because we still optimize it for older machines. I'm asking about the specs so I can figure out whether it's cpu or gpu bound (or something else) on your machine, and see what I can do about it.

Assuming that I just want to tell you that your specs aren't supported anymore doesn't help.

If anyone else is having performance issues with the renderer, please report that in the Technical Issues forum, and make sure you specify in what cases in-game it's happening (whether it's a forest or some particular village).

• Like 7

I do have the very contrary experience to your assumption, Joedobo - after I reported my issues with the new renderer (mostly around trees unless I cut back the tree models to the ugliest possible) Samool spent quite some time at the location to check out stuff that could cause it and asked me to do several tests and system load reports. Although modern renderer is still not a playable option for me the only way such issues can be ironed out is more data available. 

(It seems for me a GeForce GT640 causes the headache in forests, I had the chance to shortly test the new renderer lately on a similar system but a more powerful and recent Nvidia card which worked out real well.)

• Like 2

Forests are still apparently tanking my FPS sometimes. I'll have to mess with some settings, though; I recently changed model loading threads from 2 to 4, and tweaked some other things.

I don't know why you're giving us fouls for Hh/unicorns, but go ahead and disable all mounts other than regular horses on chaos when that comes.

or just make those babies mountable and remove yet another time barrier into pvp.

• Like 1

fouls

lol McLovin but yes it is foul that now there will be another time barrier to pvp ;)

• Like 1

Better solution to the PVP issue:

When a "child" animal type (foal, lamb, etc.) becomes the "adult" version (horse, sheep, etc.) adjust the age up as necessary. So when a foal becomes a horse, have it become a late-Adolescent horse instead. After all, it doesn't make much sense for a "grown up" horse to still be juvenile, right?

• Like 1

It is a feature, maybe make it so you have to walk 10 tiles before you can mount a horse so people have to move around more.

• Like 3

Does that mean the time a hellhorse is able to be hitched got shortened again?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

It is a feature, maybe make it so you have to walk 10 tiles before you can mount a horse so people have to move around more.

Now you are beeing silly and you know it.

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Modern Renderer

We’d like to thank everyone for their feedback regarding the modern renderer. We’ve addressed the issues with stability and memory usage (with the client--not sure if the same can be said about us), so starting next update, the modern renderer will be the default renderer. The legacy renderer will still be available as an option in settings, but will be phased out in the future.

Not sure about my memory either, for some reason I had a memory that the modern renderer didn't work on mac - or at least the setting changed back to legacy. Trying the modern renderer again now, I notice that it appears to work. I see "renderer_type = 1" in the console log.

Hopefully this means that the modern renderer is working for me, and I am either miss remembering. And not that the logs are misleading and the client is really still using the legacy renderer....

I too would like to know if the introduction of hell horse foals means an even shorter hitchable time span for the blasted creatures.

Honestly, it's hard enough breeding them to keep a steady supply of cart and wagon teams (especially for those of us who like 'matched' teams) without having to factor in the utterly useless growing stage. That's a whole extra group of animals adding to the deed ratio while serving no use at the time.  So please tell me I'm worrying needlessly?

17 hours ago, MrGARY said:

literally anyone breeding from scratch not only has to deal with horse foals but now hell horse and unicorn foals which greatly extend the amount of time breeding to get good horses, and now it will take even longer to get pvp mounts

lol, isn't "taking longer" the whole mantra of Wurm Online?

Edited by Eyesgood

On the other hand, you won't have to sell them so fast... You have a weekish to sell/transport them without cutting into their useful time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpled said:

I too would like to know if the introduction of hell horse foals means an even shorter hitchable time span for the blasted creatures.

foal stage is seperate, won't impact that at all

6 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

qol  > market > realism

being able to ride a newborn isnt really qol, there were plenty of discussions around it, and its impact, but the benefits of hell horses and unicorns arent "you can ride them as soon as they are born", PvP servers also have increased aging speeds of foals, so we don't expect any issues with that 

• Like 2