Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Newspring starter deed voting!

vote for your favourite newspring start deed design!   

94 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. vote for your favourite newspring start deed design!

• Beardymans redesign
    • Renates redesign
    • Keep it as is, Newspring belongs to the seals, only they may decide.

Greetings wurmians! 

It's time to decide the fate of Newspring! We have two amazing entries from Beardyman and renate! Below are the two entries, so check them out and wander through them, and vote for your favourite!

Voting will run for two weeks, and be announced in the next valrei international! 

Without further ado, lets get voting! 

On 8/28/2018 at 2:58 AM, BeardedMan said:

Here is my vision of Newsprings.

https://pastebin.com/h5N2uc1T

The idea was to demonstrate a lot of what can be done in Wurm without making it look too patch work, whilst retaining a aesthetically pleasing feel. I tried to make it functional by having buildings which serves a purpose, such as a work building which houses most of the harder to make tools like kilns and smelters and loom and such so new players could always default to the starter town when in need of such things. An Inn to house the bar tender NPC that feeds newbs and a trade house near the docks for the trader NPC.

The portal would go in place of the spirit gate.

Load it up in Deed Planner, screenshots don't do it any justice in my opinion.

On 8/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, Renate said:

My entry is this:

6l1x9UY.jpg

Newspring Makeover

I would like the starter deed to be open and colourful, with many different looks and sights for inspiration.

All highways lead up with a pleasant slope to the token and main assets (traders, bartender, mailbox), creating a low pyramid with terraced quarters, that show different aspects of wurm living. Sixteen towers are connected at tree height with rope bridges, from where every part of the deed can be overseen. The deed blends in with the forest at perimeter, but can easily be recognized from afar.

From the token area four entrance buildings lead into each part, featuring the archeology statues of the related main gods inside. More decoration will be added to give detail to workshops, the entrance buildings also will show related tools and furniture to the aspect of the quarter. A little downtown area contains ‘The Drunken Seal’, a friendly inn and place to rest.

I am a Newspring guy since i started playing several years ago. The plan was shared and discussed with friends and neighbours of the Newspring Alliance, that offered help to build our new starter deed.

Where are the seals?

The mine entrance leads to an illuminated grotto at water height, where the mysterious Sealspring is located. It seems that seals that roam the island derive from this point.

Dropbox-Link to deed plan / direct link to file

Screenshot-Album on Imgur

Hide contents

cyAVXSv.jpg

token

OtFa0Rd.jpg

ISO with trees (part of bridges seem stone due to deed planner bug)

QE2hDMp.jpg

ISO without trees

UWrr8Kl.jpg

blends in with the forest at perimeter (here only seen as grass tiles)

bL47sok.jpg

Vynoran part with a low terrace hidden behind the Maples.

2JDPyqM.jpg

farming area

CoyoF5q.jpg

mine entrance

hroJG7e.jpg

slate part holds epic portal

jjALdN3.jpg

workshops and 'The Drunken Seal' below

3rqKS9f.jpg

winery

Uen3dwf.jpg

entrance to farm area

ojlQGlM.jpg

smithy

SCKWGV3.jpg

entrance building

gOF7ALR.jpg

downtown area with inn and workshops

s6F6X7A.jpg

downtown area

eANyv9O.jpg

'The Drunken Seal' - a friendly inn and place to rest

• Like 1

All of them are... strange? In my opinion they don't match to Wurm.

• Like 4

Both are pretty good!

One issue I have with Beardedman's is that the eastern end doesn't have a direct bridge to the exit, which would make travel through the starter deed a real pain in that direction.

• Like 1

I like Beardyman's a lot, the contrasting alignment types, high walls, canals that remind me of Venice. Top Notch.

However,

Renate's is more representative of not only Wurm Online, but Freedom. While Beardyman made a great spot, it seems to fit more of a "portal to chaos" type to me, the libila influences, and white light influences, just do not fit on Freedom.

Renate did a great job, some trees, houses of different type. It just needs some Water imo.

Renate gets my vote.

1 hour ago, Votip said:

All of them are... strange? In my opinion they don't match to Wurm.

44 minutes ago, Poshy said:

Too elaborate for a starter town imo.

Agreed

• Like 1

Beardyman's is interesting, it somehow represents the nature of Newspring. A spring of land in the desert of seas, surrounded with high mountain walls from all sides (wow, poetic, I know)

But it would feel too massive, too stronghold'ish for a remote place like it is Newspring. I'd rather it fit to something like Glasshollow. 

Renate's design does feel strange if you just look at it on the picture, because it does not have any of the local landscape around it. 

Newspring is surrounded with trees from 3 sides and these towers would blend in nicely. The 4th side is a small desert and the wooden palisade and towers make it feel ... nomadic, is the word? Nomad outpost. 

And of course, the mysterious sealspring underground, I do like this idea very much.

My vote for Renate.

*edit*
Changed my mind, if I win I will build it.

Also idk if it's allowed but I tweaked mine a little after some feedback and reading some comments:

https://pastebin.com/0ZdNvPrZ

Edited by BeardedMan

Surprised no one did not make new player arrive outside on or near the docks with a path / road leading to the town instead .

Wood roads  or cobble stone would be nice . make it look like a sea side village .

If you wish for people to see what can be made from different resources why not have shops selling furniture made from the woods .

The one are can sell pots and other items like weapons or tools on display , a teaser of color and display .

Armor same setup , are to display wall and fence types you are a sea port in a way ....

Outside of town can have animal and garden setup , not talking a full on zoon here just a tidbit of whats possible ..

As for the 2 plans now one seems to dark Beardeds and other seems to be missing a proper use of resource types  , towers timber frame would have been better .

Outside palisades could have bee sandstone with a mix of pottery .......

I wish you all the best .. 

Some more thoughts that went into the design:

-convenient use for residents and newcomers, functional center for stopping bye as normally done

-reference point, i remember riding through all the island as newbie to find buildings with ‘that combination’ to see before i would build them myself. Now the possible varieties are so much higher and i like the idea to refer to the starter deed to see how several combinations will look

-orientation, on some renewed starter deeds i had trouble with the directions, so i made these highways look unique in every direction, mostly done with the tree types. The idea is to recognize ‘i came from the birch road’

-i am loving ’chinese gardens’, with the use of the terraces and trees it is thought that entering a quarter will give offer you a special scenery, while hiding the other parts from view, so that each quarter is somewhat a deed in itself to explore

-social spaces, spots to gather at events

-doable terraforming and building for an alliance group

Friendly greetings

• Like 1

Def love @Renatedesign more. I like the openness and simpleness of it. It really looks like a welcoming enviroment. Good Job I hope yours is selected.

My vote definitely goes to Renate: his design definitely blends well into the area instead of being an island unto itself.

While BeardedMan's design is nice, Newspring really doesn't need a huge, monolithic obstacle right in the middle of the island. Since it sits in the center of the island, the starter deed is already surrounded by mountains so putting another huge obstacle there doesn't make sense. Although the canals and docks look very nice, they also do not make sense since there is no connection to the oceans or even a large lake for them to be of any use. 

Ostentatio also mentioned the lack of an eastern entrance/exit to BeardedMan's design. While I agree this would make access to the starter a bit awkward, there actually is an major upside to this part of the design: newcomer access to the  Glasshollow market scar on the island would be hindered!

Still, all things considered, Renate's design is hand's down the best for Newspring.

• Like 1

Both designs have their place I think they are both amazing, however, I agree with the fact that Beardedmans has its place in Chaos.  Both deserve kudos for submission.   Our o votes go to Renate.  

I noticed several things about Beardyman's design, including a Libila colossus, several archaeology statues, and lots of PMK tall banners. Would these be spawned in specifically for the deed redesign? My concern especially is the Lib colossus

I find the first design rather cluttered, while i do appreciate it as a work of art it doesn't look very functional, nor does it really represent newspring.

Renates design is truly wonderful, it towers high into the sky yet it feels at peace with nature, really blending in with the surroundings instead of looking like a chunk of concrete jungle has been misplaced.

I do have my doubts on the whole thing where i come back from break to see a poll is in place just to let people living in the area who know the region well and have to deal with the starter deed on a regular basis design the thing instead of some artist who can do a nice job but doesn't have to put up with it if it looks really out of place and locals dislike it.

• Like 1

Ok, I have to post about these two. First off the first design is unlike anything I have ever seen on any freedom server. It's just awesome. I mean I looked at this and started right away asking question where can I find this stuff at in Wurm :)   
It legit is nothing like anything anyone has done before. Now is this a good thing ? Yes.   Does it fit into the cookie cutter wurm deed ? No . Does it look amazing Hell yeah. And the canal system just looks really neat. :)

Now this second deed ? I mean wtf is going on ? A jungle gym ? All these rope bridges and stuff in the air ?  Reminds of a place near our home , called Goats on a roof where you pay to watch goats climb around up high on rope bridges. 
Looks bad sorry mate. I'm not a deed designer but I know what looks good and what don't.  

edit https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55270-d4473690-Reviews-Goats_on_the_Roof-Pigeon_Forge_Tennessee.html

And why are our Votes being hidden behind a wall that no one can see who voted for who ?

Edited by Snarkin

58 minutes ago, Snarkin said:

Now this second deed ? I mean wtf is going on ? A jungle gym ? All these rope bridges and stuff in the air ?  Reminds of a place near our home , called Goats on a roof where you pay to watch goats climb around up high on rope bridges.

Honestly, this just makes it sound even more appropriate for Newspring.

I love Renate's design,  especially the seal grotto, but most importantly it will be built by the people of the Newspring alliance, who are the ones who take in and help the new players who land there.  Who better to build the starter city than the people who live on the island?

The residents are all really behind Renate's design, and that should count for a lot as we are the ones who have to live with what is built.

Edited by Thely
add additional text
  • Like 1

A couple thoughts related to starter deeds design in general, on the example of this Newspring contest. 

@Retrogradeand everyone.

Shydow asked out loud what I was thinking by myself. Libilia colossus, all the fancy statues, PMK stuff - are these ok by "design rules"? Retro has said, the materials will be given to the builders, but as I understand, the players have to put the pieces together. We cannot build libilia statue, can we? And would we be given all these other statues, from archaeology and HoTA? Because let's be honest, Beardy's design would lose a lot of fancy points without those. 

And let's say these all will be granted to the builders. If a Freedom starter town is built like chaos fortress, would it be a honest first impression to players who spawn there? To see all the nice things... and later find out you actually cannot build them yourself. 

Then the question (actually more important than previous) about local community vs the rest of Wurm.

Every starter town has developed a local community, more often alliance(s) of local deeds in the vicinity. Some of them are more vocal than others, but doesn't mean there is no activity in any of them. 

While I understand - every starter town belongs to every Wurmian - but is it really fair if people from Vrock, Howl, Dog or Flamma (random examples) get deciding vote in what Newspringians neighbourhood will look like for the years to come?

As Thely said, Renate has asked many locals for their opinion and feedback before submitting the design and the local people are prepared to build it. 

Beardy submitted a very epic/chaos inspired design, then kind of retracted it, saying he wasn't actually interested in buiding it. Then changed his mind again and also has slightly modified the design. No offence, B, but come on - who paid you off? :D 

Plus, if contestants can modify their designs based on opinions given in the official, running voting thead, then the votes itself become kind of "cow's opinion". Moooooot point. 

Yes, my opinion is clearly biased, but I still think those questions are valid, no matter who wins ?

Related, found this from the past.
https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/138730-design-a-starter-deed/

Anyway. Apologies for making it too complicated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Beardy submitted a very epic/chaos inspired design

This is my major concern with it. The design looks good, but I'm afraid many people voting aren't familiar enough with Newspring to know it just doesn't quite fit the look and feel of the place. Newspring is about as far from Epic/Chaos as you can get.

Edited by Ostentatio

I wasn't interested in doing all the digging and surface mining, that's all. It's very time consuming and I'm working on another project of my own and didn't want to invest that much time into the starter deed. No one paid me to change my mind :( Was encouraged by some comments but ultimately just want the glory of designing an actual starter town, bragging rights and all that. Yes, my life is that empty.

Retro told me about Lib not being allowed on Freedom (WHY?!) in a PM prior to him posting my entry; he also said I could change it before he posted but I was asleep and he posted before I could update it, hence the *post* edit. Not trying to skirt the rules. The 'updated' version fixed the Lib issue and changed the material theme as per Retro's comments. I re-added a version of the east exit bridge based on a comment in the thread, just wanted to show how it could be changed with little effort. As for everything else it' should be fine as they can already be imported/created on Freedom. If it's not then it should explicitly state this in the rules for future competitions.

I'm enjoying the creative side of this process, I actually waited a while for this opportunity. Obviously I'd like to win for making a superior design but also not ignorant that the locals are going to benefit from this more than I am. Still an annoying argument to use in a design competition, makes me wonder if I lose because my design is sub par or whether the 'community' is tighter than my skills.. Win or lose, I had fun and will win the next one; after all, I am only in it for the glory!! 

• Like 1