Sign in to follow this  
Substr

Constantly ejected from boat on server crossing

I remember several months ago I was able to cross between e.g. Deli and Xanadu without problems, I stayed in the boat, and it continued on. However in the last week I've made several crossings and without fail every time my characters have been ejected from the boat, and I've had to quickly swim to find the point I can embark again before the boat seems to start drifting off. (Note: this isn't the visual bug that used to happen where it looks like you are in the water but really still on the boat). This has happened with multiple characters and boats, and in all cases the character commanding the boat is also the owner.

Today I crossed with an alt as a passenger and noticed that while the character commanding the boat was booted out into the ocean, the passenger remained in the boat without problem.

How close are you to the corners of the server you are on, before or after the crossing, out of curiosity?

If this happens when you are in the middle of a server border, then it sounds a bit strange. But my hunch is that you're trying to cross too close to a corner as doing so has been known for years to throw you off and cause a whole host of problems.

Not really anywhere near the corners if you mean where the corners of the borders actually meet, but they have often been more towards the corners of the maps overall. e.g. the last crossing this happened with today I went directly north from Glasshollow on Xanadu with plotted course to Deli.

I have experienced this same boat tossing at server border crossings. It seems to me to be fairly random though. Sometimes I get tossed sometimes not.

I generally try to cross at center edges of servers when I can. When I do need to cross towards a corner, I do try to make sure I am a goodly distance from the corner.

Most recently (20 Aug 2018), me and alt of mine, and my friend Xagru crossed to Xanadu from Independence near center of edge of server (not anywhere near any server corners). From North to South. We all got ejected from the boat (Adventure bucket, my knarr.). I am the owner. So I had to disembark 1st, then embark to get back on my boat. I had my alt do that too. I looked and saw that Xagru was still on the boat, so I traveled on. Xagru later pointed out that he was still in the water, and could not see my boat anywhere. This confused me, since I could see him sitting in my boat, right in front of me. When I examined the boat, it had him listed as a passenger.

So I went back toward where I thought he was. So as I was looking for him and he was in the water (on his client) looking for my boat to show up.. We had several other 'edge of server' problems show up. I got blew (by a wind) out of my boat. I could not embark, every time I did embark, the wind blew me out again. So that was fun. CA advised me to turn my boat so it was facing towards land. I did that and was able to get back on my boat and ride it away from the server edge. At some point during all this, Xagru said he was back on board ok. Maybe his client finally caught up? Hard to tell.

So anyways, getting ejected from my boat at server crossings happens to me often enough that I am getting better at it. Would be nice to have this fixed just the same.

TeeeBOMB

Edited by TeeeBOMB
more words

UPDATE !

I just got this message posted to my event tab:

qDLc48C.jpg

Ok, now I checked permissions for this Knarr (on Independence), and I notice right off that I do not have any group permissions on this boat. Just a bunch of individual permissions.

So...ya, an update...Maybe I should open another thread for this. I mean, how can I fix group permissions on a boat that I don't have any assigned group permissions?

Updated.

Do you get any error message when ejected?

The group permission warnings are just related to allowing alliance and village/citizens and such, on other servers they won't be members of your alliance or village necessarily and might cause problems

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Do you get any error message when ejected?

No. This is the 1st time I ever recall seeing this messages show up in my even tab. A big WARNING yellow-ish (orange?) colored message in my event tab.

One thing I later learned was.. it is a message about my cart "Cornersville Zipper". My cart I had just loaded onto my knarr. So this is a warning about permissions concerning my cart. Odd I did not notice this. I thought it was a warning about my knarr. So ya, my cart does have group permissions on it. So.. this mystery solved ?

Sorry my mis interpretation.

Every time I cross a server I end up down in the water beneath the boat. 

Logically I am still commanding the boat, but there is no way I can see outside of the hull of the boat properly from this low position.  The boat seems to shift about from one side to the other,  or backwards/forwards for a moment and then stop over the top of me, holding its position.

I have to disembark then re-command the boat in order to remove the visual height problem, and give the correct sitting height.  I can then sail the boat.

This is the same for the sail boat and the knarr.  I can't remember the last time I crossed a server border and arrived sitting properly in a boat, the passengers seem fine however. :) 

@RetrogradeThe difference for me was that I am actually dumped out of the boat rather than a visual glitch. I didn't have any disembark option, only the embark commander / passenger options. Notice 2 events about leaving the boat below, those weren't done by me.

Events text:

[10:16:34] You will soon leave this island, and end up on Xanadu.
[10:16:34] The Settlement deed will not leave the server.
[10:16:58] You head out to sea.
[10:16:58] You drift away on the "Sleeper Service".
[10:16:58] You leave the "Sleeper Service".
[10:16:58] The Settlement deed will not leave the server.
[10:16:59] You will now fight aggressively.
[10:16:59] Welcome back, Substr! Xanadu - the great mystery.
[10:16:59] You enter Freedom Isles.
[10:16:59] 69 other players are online. You are on Xanadu (229 totally in Wurm).
[10:16:59] You are not invulnerable here.
[10:17:02] You leave the "Sleeper Service".
[10:17:02] You are teleporting and cannot perform actions right now.
[10:17:04] You board on the "Sleeper Service" as the captain.

11 hours ago, Muse said:

Every time I cross a server I end up down in the water beneath the boat. 

Logically I am still commanding the boat, but there is no way I can see outside of the hull of the boat properly from this low position.  The boat seems to shift about from one side to the other,  or backwards/forwards for a moment and then stop over the top of me, holding its position.

I have to disembark then re-command the boat in order to remove the visual height problem, and give the correct sitting height.  I can then sail the boat.

This is the same for the sail boat and the knarr.  I can't remember the last time I crossed a server border and arrived sitting properly in a boat, the passengers seem fine however. :) 

Muse, I have this particular issue already on the bug list.   As you said, it's a visual thing as you are still embarked.  I usually disembark and re-embark when that happens.  

I'll add your comment to that bug.  

Here is the thread for that bug report: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/156912-bug-character-displacement-on-boat-after-server-crossing/