Sign in to follow this  
Belrindor

Extremely slow client loading

Just within the last two days my WU client has been loading extraordinarily slowly. It'll take over a minute to load, when before it was just a few seconds. Same with changing a character. If I select any other than the currently selected character, it'll take over a full minute to pull up and it'll just hang. This used to be instantaneous just a few days ago.

Wurm Online client is not affected, and loads normally. And no other steam game BUT WU does this now.

Possible causes?

Has anyone else experienced this?

It almost sounds like an issue I've seen around and one that I've experienced in the past.   For me, it was my keybindings.txt file was getting so many duplicate entries to a bug  that it took a very long time to load.  It's marked as fixed, but I've still seen people experience the problem from time to time.

Check the settings and keybinding files in your characters folders.. they should be a very small file size, 50kb or less each.  I'e had mine explode to over 6mb before and it'd take 2-3min to switch characters or load the launcher.

For reference..

Edited by Nomadikhan

3 hours ago, Belrindor said:

Just within the last two days my WU client has been loading extraordinarily slowly. It'll take over a minute to load, when before it was just a few seconds. Same with changing a character. If I select any other than the currently selected character, it'll take over a full minute to pull up and it'll just hang. This used to be instantaneous just a few days ago.

Wurm Online client is not affected, and loads normally. And no other steam game BUT WU does this now.

Possible causes?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep, I was going to refer you to the same fix that @Nomadikhan linked for you.  ?

The keybindings.txt writes an entry, that is to say, a duplicate entry every time the client is loaded. I don't think it's 'fixed' if it keeps doing it.

Thanks folks! :)

Post Scriptum: That was the problem. Thing was almost 6 MB for both files. Every time I'd switch between an alt, it'd just take forever to load.

Edited by Belrindor

there are two ways to fix a bloated keybindings.txt file.

The easiest -- just delete it. A new fresh one will generate when you load the game. That NEW keybindings.txt will not be subjected to the same bug (according to Retrograde). They put in a fix about a year or more ago but you need to start with a fresh keybindings.txt, if you still have your old one, it is still subjected to the bug. The drawback to deleting it -- you lose all your keybinds and have to reprogram them all. 

Another way, if you are determines to "save" your old keybindings, is to rename the "bad" file to something like keybindingsBROKE.txt.  This way the game still generates a fresh clean "fixed" one. Now you can open both texts side by side, and copy paste all the original keybinds that you want to save (without the excess garbage that bloated it) into the clean fresh file.  If you do this, be sure to use a simple notepad.exe type program, and NOT Wordpad or a word processor that can insert a lot of dirty formatting into the file (or at least make sure to save in Ascii format, but it just easier all around to use Notepad.exe which does that anyways. Notepad is a Windows program, Macs and Linux will have their own versions of text editors.)  

I think it is easier just deleting the file, but then I only use a very few keybinds.

If you have keybinds for practically everything, then copy paste might be easier. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors