Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullkontact

Collision boxes on animals

Would have to work out leading around trees etc, but otherwise, yeah.  

In other words, a bit of physics in the Wurld.

This sounds like a good idea, but speaking as someone who's had to debug collision issues in games, I worry that this opens up a whole can of worms.

Will the horses pulling your wagon have collision? If so, will you ever go into a forest? Will you ever get out?

Are things like spiders supposed to path-find around trees? Previously they only had to process pathing on the level of tile-to-tile links. This is a whole extra level of complexity and precision.

Bottom line: this is likely to slow the game down, and trade one set of problems that make the game look bad for another set of problems that make the game play badly.

• Like 4

-1 no, I don't even like it on trees. The blessed period where tree collision was temporarily removed still lingers in my heart

if mobs can walk THROUGH trees, so should be with the players, but we have a few "blessed" kids that somehow whine better and get heard *shrugs ascii art*

For the most part, you don’t need to steer around trees.  When you hit a tree while you’re auto-riding, your mount will almost always scooch to one side or the other and then continue forward.  Once in a blue moon, you’ll hit the tree dead center and the mount will stop, but this is a pretty rare occurrence.

A thick forest should be a dangerous place.  Traversing it should be challenging and involve risk.  If every part of the world is easy and safe, the game becomes boring.  Learning how to deal with forests, slopes, and other geographical challenges is part of what makes the game fun. 

• Like 2

BIG BUMP! Got yet another chick stuck in a wall. Vanished without a trace. And no I'm not putting in yet another support ticket for something that could be fixed outright with a simple collision box! This is soo tiresome!

I agree to Sheffie that the consequences of the proposal are not thought through. Xanadu, according to mrtg, recently had 117,991 aggressive mobs, and  294,976 total creatures. Collisions of moving items have to be tracked by the server. This means that computation effort has to be raised by 2-4 orders of magnitude, given that usually a 2-3 digit number of players, and maybe double of that counting vehicles, is moving on that server.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I agree to Sheffie that the consequences of the proposal are not thought through. Xanadu, according to mrtg, recently had 117,991 aggressive mobs, and  294,976 total creatures. Collisions of moving items have to be tracked by the server. This means that computation effort has to be raised by 2-4 orders of magnitude, given that usually a 2-3 digit number of players, and maybe double of that counting vehicles, is moving on that server.  

Is there really a need to compute collision for mobs where no player is around? Can it be switched on if player is present? If, that probably would mostly only work for aggressive mobs, less for the cattle on the pasture, i guess.
So, situational collision?

Another though on the tree chase scenario. Could the trees slow mobs slightly down while they are clipping, so to circumvent the collision, but solve that particular issue?
Might be just a semi collision, as it still needs to detect convergence of mob and tree, i guess..?

I would like to see behaviour of mobs that makes more sense. But, as of collision, maybe the cost could be spent in other, possibly better ways. For example characteristic mob behaviour instead of simple seek&destroy.

Edited by dada
  • Like 1

sure +1 bring back walking through trees for players, lets have equal ability on this one..

creatures still have infinite stamina and ignore slopes, running full speed at 300 slope wall.. while players will have "slight issue" to catch up

13 hours ago, dada said:

I would like to see behaviour of mobs that makes more sense.

I couldn't agree more. Mobs should not penetrate solid walls and/or trees, walk up vertical slopes or stand still while being slowly shot to death.

Edited by Katrat