Sign in to follow this  
kochinac

Shatter protection at 99ql

Now that we have skill protection for 99+ skills on death it got me thinking what if we could get 100% shatter protection when casting on items that are 99+ ql? This would give people more reason to imp to 99ql which is not easy at all and also give us less fear while casting our precious items. Items could still be dmged from casting so it would have to be reimped back in order to have safety. Thoughts?

Just now, kochinac said:

The same way I could point people to meditation path of knowledge in thread for 99 skill lock

Meditation is something that takes months to get, going to a rift for a metallic liquid is just going to a rift for a metallic liquid. not really comparable but whatever you say chief

51 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Meditation is something that takes months to get, going to a rift for a metallic liquid is just going to a rift for a metallic liquid. not really comparable but whatever you say chief

Imping to 99 actually costs more than metalic liquid or pretty simmilar. You also don't get them on your first rift, I've completed many rifts and never got one, don't see the market being overflowed with them. This is suggestion for having more options to choose from, I would say that buying metalic liquid would easier one but nothing wrong with having alternate to pure luck, which is the purpose of this suggestion to have a way to shift from luck to more effort time spent. But you know, whatever you say chief

10 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Imping to 99 actually costs more than metalic liquid or pretty simmilar

except all the tools you can create at 99ql (extremely easily with imbues i might add) that you'd be able to spam cast on without fear of shattering

21 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

except all the tools you can create at 99ql (extremely easily with imbues i might add) that you'd be able to spam cast on without fear of shattering

I think this might be possible to work around by making the protection apply only to impable items over 99ql.

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I am not familiar with that? Can you provide example which tools? My highest skill is 97 and took me few days of casual playing to imp my rare mallet to 99 for personal goal without imbues. I find it hard to believe that you can make 99 ql pickaxe even with imbues so fast but if that's the case imbues seems overpowered then, not sure. Really have no idea if you can spam 99ql needles or some other tools with imbue and 99 skill if that's the case you might have valid point but how many people can do that. And beside you still have a chance to dmg item while casting which will result in need for items to be reimped for safety.

1 hour ago, Gwyn said:

I think this might be possible to work around by making the protection apply only to impable items over 99ql.

Whetstones, pelts, water, also materials didn't come to mind when I was thinking of this, that's a fair point, maybe it would be owerpowered for them. Not sure what else might be a problem.

17 minutes ago, faty said:

-1 more item sink please

I would rather not throw supreme pickaxe with my signature for example into sink just because I want 100 cast on it and willing to burn how ever veggies it takes for it and can't find metalic liquid, pls

Being able to shatter item with high channeling and at high ql is ridiculous.

Edited by kochinac

+1 - i never seen imping at those QL easy... or casting at high power easy as well... even with high skill.

i think this is the dumbest thing ever. You already have enough supreme pickaxes in this game to go around for fouble the players. So many rares people wipe their asses with them... There's no sink for them, u just have to reimp them once a week, it's lame, and it will keep on getting worse and worse, yet you want to make them shatterproof? Give me a break.

54 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

i think this is the dumbest thing ever. You already have enough supreme pickaxes in this game to go around for fouble the players. So many rares people wipe their asses with them... There's no sink for them, u just have to reimp them once a week, it's lame, and it will keep on getting worse and worse, yet you want to make them shatterproof? Give me a break.

I would rather wipe my ass with it or sac it then shatter it ty.

Suggestion derailed to supreme pickaxes. Point is to have another way of preventing shattering and to have another way to be able to put effort to cast to desired power without relying on luck. Not sure that so much supreme items are shattered ingame to be vialable item sink tbh. I don't care for all other supremes, I want my supreme with my signature not to be shattered by pure luck if I  have skills and I have put effort in it. And if you want sinks shattering shouldn't be sink, oh and while we are at sink maybe a sink for recycled accounts as well so new players can be competitive without throwing hundreds of euros in game? Why do you care if someone will make lot of items imp to 99 and cast like crazy or make double amount of that items cast like crazy and shatter half? What difference does it make?

Eh I get where you're coming from but there are already a flood of tools as is and also there are other ways to protect from shattering for example Metallic liquid and seryll. -1

Whatever the merits of this idea, the main objection being posted isn't valid if shatter protection is restricted to impable items.

Can anyone (who has actually ever imped anything to anywhere near 99ql) explain how this would have any real impact on shatter's role as an item sink?

'Cause I'm genuinely amused at the thought of Wurm 'flooded' with 99ql tools/weapons/armour. Each one of these items will probably have taken one full real-life day or more of someone's time to make, and can only be made by someone with near-100 skill in the relevant craft. Since the suggested change would affect only the tiniest fraction of items in existence, 99.9% (or more I'd wager) of items that are enchanted would still be subject to shatter. And given the extreme investment required both in grinding skill to, or near, 100 and then imping an item to 99ql, shatter protection does seem a fairly earned reward for this tiniest fraction of items.

Moreover, metallic liquid would still retain its value - even at current market prices it's much cheaper than paying for a 99ql imp. The same holds true for seryll (though I doubt many people make anything out of seryll specifically for its shatter-proof properties anyway, apart from pendulums and the like to grind channelling).

• Like 2

I've done it.  It only took me about 4 hours to improve a pickaxe to 99 ql.  I did not have the personal goal, but was helping someone else with theirs.   Really not hard with 99.80 blacksmithing.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:05 PM, kochinac said:

I would rather not throw supreme pickaxe with my signature for example into sink just because I want 100 cast on it and willing to burn how ever veggies it takes for it and can't find metalic liquid, pls

Being able to shatter item with high channeling and at high ql is ridiculous.

So you would rather not use the current mechanics that help you protect your items 100% (metallic liquid) and want a free shatter protection for them.

Imping them to 99 in itself gives you a very high chance of it not shatter during a cast. Also using a high channeling priest gives you another layer of protection.. so why do you want it to be 100% ?

I would rather see some item shattered once in a while so there is a small demand for them from time to time..

On a separate note, the 99+ skill loss that doesn't happen anymore is poorly implemented in my opinion.. what about a 98.7 skill or a 96.3 why are those treated differently ? Any skill should be lost when you die.. even if it's 100, that's the point of being careful not to die. It does have to be balanced though, because if you lose 0.25 skill at 30 you can get that back in a few ticks, but at 90 you need a few hours, so it's not fair. The loss should be 0.25 up to 70 skill, 0.1 up to 90 skill and 0.01 over 90 skill as a simple example, can be finer grained if the devs want to do the math and only take like 0.00000x from a 100 skill.. but removing the loss completely is stupid if you are not pok.

Edited by faty

1 hour ago, faty said:

So you would rather not use the current mechanics that help you protect your items 100% (metallic liquid) and want a free shatter protection for them.

Imping them to 99 in itself gives you a very high chance of it not shatter during a cast. Also using a high channeling priest gives you another layer of protection.. so why do you want it to be 100% ?

I would rather see some item shattered once in a while so there is a small demand for them from time to time..

On a separate note, the 99+ skill loss that doesn't happen anymore is poorly implemented in my opinion.. what about a 98.7 skill or a 96.3 why are those any different ? Any skill should be lost when you die.. even if it's 100, that's the point of being careful not to die. It does have to be balanced though, because if you lose 0.25 skill at 30 yo can get that back in a few ticks, but at 90 you need a few hours, so it's not fair, the loss should be 0.25 up to 70 skill, 0.1 up to 90 skill and 0.01 over 90 skill as a simple example, can be finer grained if the devs want to do the math and only take like 0.00000x from a 100 skill.. but removing the loss completely is stupid if you are not pok.

From what I understood reading post about channeling the chance on large number of casts is not negliable even with high channeling priest and high ql items. Let's say you have 95 chan priest and 99ql item, how large chance of shattering it should be? Tbh idk maybe someone can calculate, iirc with every fail you will have 1/100 chance to shatter, and you will still fail a lot trying to achieve high cast and have 1/100 chance to shatter every time you fail, does that seem ok to you at that skill and ql?

The whole system with enchanting is ridiculous and out of place, every other skill garantie you your skill + 10ish ql if you put time in it, but with enchanting you can shatter item trying to get 90power cast with 95 skill, common. Those layers of protection you talk about are not imo enough to provide enough protection based on time put on achieving them at least I'm not convinced. If that's not gonna change, just thought that this would be fun way to promote imping to 99ql, and nice alternative to metalic liquid which is very scarse. If I spent several days imping something or even 4 hours like wargasm said which is extreme in this case, I don't want it to be shattered on chance no matter how small it is. 

And if you think this will kill already dead economy I think you're terribly wrong. 

But whatever, if not this, whole system about enchanting needs to be redone imo, not sure if anything was changed now with announced overhaul. Maybe @Sinduskwoule like to share his thoughs on enchanting with us and break some myths :)

6 hours ago, faty said:

what about a 98.7 skill or a 96.3 why are those any different ?

Math.

Edited by Delacroix
  • Like 1