Sign in to follow this  
Quostin

New Server / Islands / Region?

The last one was Xanadu that was released in 2014. It also the year that I started playing and that release was advertised with the land rush, gold rush, whatever rush it was. Would it be possible to do something like that again? It doesn't have to be the same size as Xanadu, but having a completely fresh land that may be a bit less mountainy, while still having mountains would be nice. Maybe multiple islands, but not too far so some islands can actually be linked with bridges. Like Xanadu, have new players get first crack at it again.

Edited by Quostin

i think we need to focus on fixing this before we add more servers

Chaos players 33/800
Independence players 62/800
Deliverance players 26/400
Exodus players 14/800
Celebration players 28/400
Pristine players 22/400
Release players 13/400
Xanadu players 119/800
Epic cluster players 17/1600
Total players 335/6700
  • Like 12

The new server when Xanadu actually brought a lot of players to the game if that the numbers you are worried about. Do something like they did with that with a lot of advertisement. Give a reason to come back if you are an old player. Some people just like exploring, and a new land may let more into the game. Who knows.

-1 to new home server

Maybe a challenge server for PvE would be cool.  Something to explore and hunt that gets reset every year or two the same size as Xan.  Has some hunting missions or really hard missions.

• Like 5

Some new player comes along every once in awhile, gets frustrated by all the 5+ year old accounts that still haven't weened themselves off of selling bulk to make silver and thinks that a new server will increase demand for building mats.  

So they come here and make this suggestion, time and time again.  And time and time again, we -1 it.  Yes, there would be an increase in bulk materials being bought/sold, yes there would be a brief baloon of population increase.  But 25% or more of the people living on the existing servers would move to the new one.  The result will be a further scattered population, because players of small servers are not obligated to consolidate into another server.  And they should not be.

When Xanadu came out, you could NOT find enough space on the outer coast to put a deed.  A map *that big* and you couldn't even find 20-30 tiles of undeeded habitable space.  Now they are all ghost towns.

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Some new player comes along every once in awhile, gets frustrated by all the 5+ year old accounts that still haven't weened themselves off of selling bulk to make silver and thinks that a new server will increase demand for building mats.  

So they come here and make this suggestion, time and time again.  And time and time again, we -1 it.  Yes, there would be an increase in bulk materials being bought/sold, yes there would be a brief baloon of population increase.  But 25% or more of the people living on the existing servers would move to the new one.  The result will be a further scattered population, because players of small servers are not obligated to consolidate into another server.  And they should not be.

When Xanadu came out, you could NOT find enough space on the outer coast to put a deed.  A map *that big* and you couldn't even find 20-30 tiles of undeeded habitable space.  Now they are all ghost towns.

I found the problem with Xanadu was that there was WAY too many mountains. While the map was 4x bigger than Independence, a lot of Xanadu was mountains, even on the coasts. 

Well then, maybe we should just do a big advertisement/recruitment similar to the Land Rush. I think, other than Wurm Unlimited, Land Rush was the only advertisement of Wurm Online I've seen since I joined the game.

Go ahead.  Good luck with that.  The devs don't have any money to advertise, hope you do.

I would rather see small new server that would serve as end content for pve, no deeding and unique mobs and resources rather than normal server. We have to much of them already which I imagine waste resources that could be directed to advertisement. But ofc shutting them while there is on player living on them is not an option...

• Like 3

I think one "Problem" is, that the older server (except Xanadu which has still a lot of pristine lands!!!) are mostly already used. If there is no deed you can at least see that the area was already once or several times terraformed. I for myself am a guy that prefers starting from scratch, i have more fun if i have to terraform my deeded area on my own than using the already flattened area of someone else. So maybe (just maybe) there is a way to "reset" areas which are abbandoned for a long time back to its original states, or make them "hilly" again slowly over time?

15 minutes ago, masterqgj said:

I think one "Problem" is, that the older server (except Xanadu which has still a lot of pristine lands!!!) are mostly already used. If there is no deed you can at least see that the area was already once or several times terraformed. I for myself am a guy that prefers starting from scratch, i have more fun if i have to terraform my deeded area on my own than using the already flattened area of someone else. So maybe (just maybe) there is a way to "reset" areas which are abbandoned for a long time back to its original states, or make them "hilly" again slowly over time?

I on the other hand like when I find terraformed place and continue on someones effort making it better, I guess I would be pretty bored to start on unscratched land :). But some mechanism that will bring land to more natural shape overtime would be cool, like errosion and shifting of dirt from unnatural high slop dirt wals to the base and making it smoother would be cool.

I understand why you wish for a new server / land. The excitement of exploring a new continent, trying to find a new place to call your own before anyone else finds it is quite real. I also understand your idea for an island-like land to give alternate opportunities. 

Unfortunately, I have to agree with others in this thread and suggest that the population is far too sparse as it is.

Not wanting to take you away from Wurm Online but have you looked at some of the servers available on Wurm Unlimited? I realise that these may be transient and you may not be in a land-rush but could have the opportunity to put your mark on something relatively new which may be what you are looking for.

• Like 1

As i mentioned earlier, there are still a ton of pristine areas on Xanadu, we just found a giant place ourselfs (it involved some climbing, but i know of areas in the "flatlands" that are never used before too). So if it is just because of the pristine land, i agree that no more server's are neededt. The population is realy quite low, especially on Xanadu you can walk for hours and not find any player at all (if you are not around some of the centers at least).

-1 There is also tons of 'fresh' land available on certain servers and a constantly changing world to explore. Populations spread ridiculously thin enough as it is, everywhere is like a ghost town, ruins and decay.

-1 i am sorry... i vote for 1 or 2 PvE servers only and make those fresh maps. Community is too scattered and Lagadu is too big map and too laggy. Remove all and start from clean table.

• Like 1

The only type of new server I see a need for is a new *type* of server. That would be a server with no Aggressive Mobs of any type on it. All other functions there would remain the same yet it would be unique in this respect so that those who don't want to deal with Aggressive Mobs will finally have a choice to move there.

Still, I really don't care much about this now as I am much too attached to my own deed to ever move off of it. Then there is always WU which offers so many different choices in terms of server types, their environments and skill progress. So like Spolmit I think this is the most realistic and best option for anyone who wants a "new" server.

=Ayes=

There is plenty of open land in wurm. last i checked. If people can't find a suitable place it is probably because it is not near water. can't blame a new player anyway, need a pendulum for that.

There is lots of areas both inland and on the coast now on probly every single server.  Maybe not the perfect spot that is leveled and ready to move into but there are spots.  Some just take a bit of work to make them to your liking.

+1

if we add about 10 more servers nearly each individual player will have a server to themselves by 2019

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

'Land rush' 'Gold rush' LOL. Dude, you can walk on any freedom server for hours on end before meeting someone, what do you need more land for? Heck, try the Epic home servers, u can walk for weeks and not find someone xD

Edited by Gladiator