Sign in to follow this  
ChampagneDragon

What has made you hate Wurm?

The thing I hate most about Wurm....

Is getting distracted by other things for a year or so at a time, then suddenly remembering Wurm and going "Oh crap, my stuff!" and trying to catch up on what I've missed when I jump back in.

• Like 1

Can't say I've encountered anything in Wurm that makes me hate it, but one thing over all I find aggravating...

What is the logic behind only allowing one toon in the game to own one deed?  To me, it makes no sense, so I have to be missing something.  If the devs allow players to own unlimited alts, then what is the point in limiting a player to owning only one deed per character he has in game?

It would seem to make a lot of sense to allow one character to own and establish multiple deeds in different locations, and chose their character's citizenship separately where they please.  With alts they are basically doing that anyway, it is just much more messy.

Humble submitted..

~TH~

Duke of Oakheart

• Like 1

Can own more then one deed , but its 1 per server ..

But agree it is a pain .... at times  ..

13 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Can own more then one deed , but its 1 per server ..

But agree it is a pain .... at times  ..

Yeah, should have been more clear on that point.  Still does not make sense as to why the limit if I am free to create multiple alts to own as many deeds through as many alts as I can afford to create and premium up at least one time.

18 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I stopped logging in to WO because the neon green from the catseyes is just completely immersion breaking for me.  It's not something that I can choose not to participate in or use.  It's everywhere and simply can't be avoided.

No offence but this is one of the strangest reasons someone stopped playing Wurm Online i have  seen so far ?

47 minutes ago, kochinac said:

No offence but this is one of the strangest reasons someone stopped playing Wurm Online i have  seen so far ?

No offense taken.  I don't know why it grabs my eye the way it does.  I just wind up staring at it like it's the only thing on the screen.  Drives me nuts.

Giant herd of hell horses out my window before they lowered the volume on them?  Still logged in.

Five-year-old neighbors fascinated with the fart emote before we could mute emotes?  Still logged in.

Crooked house because I forgot to level before building that makes me sea sick?  Totally lived in it.

Little neon green lights every tile for miles on end?  ???  Go figure.

• Like 1

I've said this before, but I'm going to elaborate. :P Wurm relies on lengthy, time-consuming processes for balance, yet at the same time, many of its core mechanics also rely on random action failures: actions like imping, enchanting, and surface mining.

Perhaps the inherent contradiction isn't obvious. Nevertheless, random action failures tell players they're wasting their time, and strings of sequential failures can anger players and cause them to dread doing those actions again. Neither are good situations to put customers in (not if you want to keep them), but it's especially bad for Wurm.

That is, telling a player they're wasting their time while they're playing a game designed around everything taking a very long time to do is a really, really, REALLY bad idea. :P

Digging, on the other hand, is a time-consuming process done right. Every action results in a small success, a guaranteed micro-gratification: one dirt dug, one slope changed.

Any failures (digging on rock, digging in water too deep, falling down a newly-dug slope, digging on too steep a slope, etc.), are not random at all, but logical aspects of the game world. And there are no critical RNG failures, only critical RNG successes: emeralds, rare dirt, rare bones, and mission items.

That's the way to do a game like Wurm. If every core mechanic were like that, I suspect Wurm would have retained a significant percentage of players that it has lost over the years (especially newbies).

In summation, you need successive micro-gratifications to hold players into the long processes required by Wurm. Any sharp action failures, especially strings of failures, make it easy for people, especially new players, to quit.

Wurm fails that test, and and that's what I really hate. It's pushing me away, and I don't want to be pushed away. :(

Edited by Roccandil
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Perhaps the inherent contradiction isn't obvious. Nevertheless, random action failures tell players they're wasting their time, and strings of sequential failures can anger players and cause them to dread doing those actions again. Neither are good situations to put customers in (not if you want to keep them), but it's especially bad for Wurm.

Yes, the contradiction is very obvious. I think you have described this frustrating aspect of playing and progressing in the game very well. This is why my main focus is building/enhancing my deeds and doing actions that contribute to that process. Grinding skills at high levels I find to be almost a subtle mocking of my efforts by those unseen forces at work to thwart my efforts. When skill progress and the improving process becomes too much defined by this influence then I need to step away from it and focus on those parts of the game where it has little impact.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

So many reasons why people seem to hate the game, or take extended breaks, but I doubt anyone ever stops playing Wurm forever, as the lure of the game is like a siren always calling you back, so the longer off game period is just an extended break and not a forever farewell...

• Like 3

For most in Wurm it the skill gain that is the goal, for me it has never really been, skill is a measure, the more you practice the better you get. The goals should be the results, I need a weapon so I can easier defeat my enemy. That is for me where the biggest problem with skill gain is, for many skills you have to chose do I want to grind or do I want to just gather material, why I have to grind? why do I not just get skill as I use it?

I think there should be a progress in all skills, new possibilities that open up as you progress. It has been accomplished with many new things that added maybe it should be added to all skills in future new weapons requiring a certain skill.

For most thing there should be a benefit from creating higher ql. A system where you need low ql skill tools contradict the progress. For all skills the higher you get the better tool it should require.

Biggest issue for me is there is to little things to do with my friends, my skills already high so what I do to have some fun? fighting is dull and no real challenges. Purpose of a multiplayer versus a solo game is you can play with others but to little to do in Wurm. Community events is not where I find the fun, it cannot create any challenges for me but I would love some challenges I could do with my friends in small group. Best if it was something where you had to get out explore the world, find things.

I think it should only be possible to settle on half the server rest should be wild, the further you get away from start the more dangerous it get. Challenges for group could be groups of creatures, social creatures like Trolls and Goblins. It require a new combat system the current one to simple and to passive, you do not need to make any choices or use your brain at all, no challenge other than random.

• Like 2

I love this game, and I want to stay positive.

What troubles me is that there is not enough space for new players in Wurm.

I don't mean physical space, every server has plenty of that, I mean we are not 'making enough space' for new players in Wurm.

We need to give new players more optional safe spaces where they can grow and learn as well as safe passage to these safe spaces.

Any efforts to make PVE more challenging for existing players, MUST be mindful of how it will affect new players - at the moment, meeting a troll straight out of the spawn town is bad enough...

We need 'safe people' - volunteers that can be easily identified by new players, and clearer signposting to where and how to ask for help - GL Freedom can be a cruel baptism of fire on a Saturday night

We all need more room in our attitudes towards new players, how we view them, how much time we make for them.

We need dedicated New Player CA's in our chat and help channels (maybe new players could show in the CA Help List in a different colour while their buffs are active) and a clear forum section dedicated to new player concerns.  We need a new staff title - a member of staff responsible for new players' interests. Are there really so few new players to warrant the position?

We need more obvious and accessible ways that new players can hook up with each other and form teams and groups with other players, before making an informed decision when picking a destination server at the GV portal.

We need to do whatever we can to stop new players going from

"Yaay! I love this game - what do I do?"

to

"I hate this game - ragequit!"

In the space of a few hours.

A new player's connection with the game is so tenuous - too many negative experiences early on will kill it.  We need to give new players the time and space to get to know some positive experiences in Wurm if we are to retain them for any length of time.

We older players may moan and groan, but we have a greater resilience due to time and use.  It's easy to forget the many times, when something bad could have happened to us in those first baby steps to forever put us off playing the game we have now grown to love.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 6

• Wurm unlimited
  • The code being accessible through the release of Wurm unlimited
  • the epic elevation map reset
  • chaos pvp meta
  • pvp requirements being absurd (horses, horse gear, taming, stuff to tame with, armor, skills to make armor, weapons, skill to make weapons, enchants, priests to make enchants, houses in mines on pvp servers. the list is just too long how can a new player keep up outside of having to join an established group or get dominated??)
  • toxic community both pve and pvp (not all are however) 
  • no (unnoticable) advertisement for the game
  • horse races
  • the game is inaccessible for new players who dont pay upwards of hundreds of euros as a jump-start
  • the fact the community is desperately trying to hang on to what is left makes it look worse than it probably is
  • there is no reason to want to log in, it has become a compulsion "oh i've got prem, i must skill" etc
  • the cancerous economy for selling accounts (meh it has goods and bads)
  • slow trickle of important changes that could have helped the game, AND THE COMMUNITY POPULATION, a LONG time ago.

The mystery of logging in to the game and learning is now gone, you can simply go and read up the code. it's no fun.

my main hate is the PVE vs PVP mentality

I pretty much got my character forced to move to freedom, with less skills, or just quit because no one plays on epic, lets take fighting skill for example, that is not on the curve, and was not 2x as fast on the epic cluster.

SO WHY DID IT GET NERFED..? 

if you were on epic, you got ###### over.

ntHIux9.png

That isn't to say when interesting changes happen people will come back, maybe.

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 3

I’m hoping the priest updates draw some people back, which I think it will definitely help.

18 hours ago, Firecat said:

ntHIux9.png

I wonder if the staff will keep to the 'its just a dip, nothing to see here' when it drops below 2k subs.

I recently stopped logging in after I lost intetest. It started with Chaos when I noticed the content there no longed interested me, as every day was a repeat of the day before with in between bouts of building stuff for other people. There was nothing to achieve, nothing to look forward to. So I decided to concentrate into my freedom project, and suddenly realized: whats the point? I have a nice place, got a ton of compliments from visitors during my dragon slay. But no one will move with me as there are no new players to recruit. So all my efforts are wasted on a nice deed for me to enjoy myself alone.

So I decided to give WU a try. Its not the first time I do this, but it is the first time I do it after a burn out. 

I my server of choice I have found so many new things that makes me wonder why it hasnt been inplemented in WO: snow capped mountains, Treasure Maps, new mobs, events, different ways to make income, new weapons and spells... then there are stuff I saw on servers I have been in the past: A colisseum where you can fight mobs and other players, dungeons with puzzles and secrets with random rewards...

Its hard to explain how much different the game is to me. Sure the server has a very small community, but so does the WO servers. The difference is I can log in and go do a treasure map hunt if I am bored, or skill and try a new weapon I had never seen before, or on that other server I can try one of their dungeons. There are events I can look forward to and other things to do. In WO there is only the grind. Thats it. I could try my hand with the now nearly dead market (lol) or maybe start a huge farm and sit on 100k of veggies I will never use.

So I parked my accounts until that interest comes back. I cant say I hate Wurm, but its really not heading in a good direction.

• Like 3

On 10/8/2018 at 3:13 PM, Angelklaine said:

I recently stopped logging in after I lost intetest. It started with Chaos when I noticed the content there no longed interested me, as every day was a repeat of the day before with in between bouts of building stuff for other people. There was nothing to achieve, nothing to look forward to. So I decided to concentrate into my freedom project, and suddenly realized: whats the point? I have a nice place, got a ton of compliments from visitors during my dragon slay. But no one will move with me as there are no new players to recruit. So all my efforts are wasted on a nice deed for me to enjoy myself alone.

So I decided to give WU a try. Its not the first time I do this, but it is the first time I do it after a burn out. 

I my server of choice I have found so many new things that makes me wonder why it hasnt been inplemented in WO: snow capped mountains, Treasure Maps, new mobs, events, different ways to make income, new weapons and spells... then there are stuff I saw on servers I have been in the past: A colisseum where you can fight mobs and other players, dungeons with puzzles and secrets with random rewards...

Its hard to explain how much different the game is to me. Sure the server has a very small community, but so does the WO servers. The difference is I can log in and go do a treasure map hunt if I am bored, or skill and try a new weapon I had never seen before, or on that other server I can try one of their dungeons. There are events I can look forward to and other things to do. In WO there is only the grind. Thats it. I could try my hand with the now nearly dead market (lol) or maybe start a huge farm and sit on 100k of veggies I will never use.

So I parked my accounts until that interest comes back. I cant say I hate Wurm, but its really not heading in a good direction.

Hey what is the cool sick server to play on these days?

I went to Aus' Epic Map server which was really eerie. Where do people play? 

39 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Hey what is the cool sick server to play on these days?

I went to Aus' Epic Map server which was really eerie. Where do people play? 

Sklotopolis is full to the brim. But if you are looking for pvp, its pretty seasonal. Too many cheaters imo. Servers get swarmed by transients, they demolish any attempts to get established, then leave when the server is dead. WU is good for its pve aspect. Pvp not so much.

54 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Sklotopolis is full to the brim. But if you are looking for pvp, its pretty seasonal. Too many cheaters imo. Servers get swarmed by transients, they demolish any attempts to get established, then leave when the server is dead. WU is good for its pve aspect. Pvp not so much.

What kind of cheating? 

3 hours ago, Trake said:

What kind of cheating? 

Chest finders, esp that outlines enemies, no trees, etc.

Just now, FranktheTank said:

Chest finders, esp that outlines enemies, no trees, etc.

So the publicly posted client mods that are 'banned' but not enforced by the PvP server(s).. Got it. 

5 hours ago, Trake said:

So the publicly posted client mods that are 'banned' but not enforced by the PvP server(s).. Got it. 

There's also speed mods and other stuff. I saw at least one instance of "flying". But even if you take out the mods and the cheating, steam communities can be pretty cancerous on their own. Personally I have tried a couple pvp servers myself, and on one occasion I found myself camped at spawn. I log in, created a char, and within less than a minute got someone talking to me in russian. When I said I dont understand I got camped and killed until I just decided to quit for a more peaceful server. 

Many of these pvp servers have little to no oversight. 

8 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I log in, created a char, and within less than a minute got someone talking to me in russian. When I said I dont understand I got camped and killed until I just decided to quit for a more peaceful server. 

Many of these pvp servers have little to no oversight. 

Lol I know those boys

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, Angelklaine said:

Problem with WO and WU is people play Wurm Online to make money and that's all it seems pass while .

By doing so they kill the fun aspect of the game grinding and doing nothing but foraging for coin , its a rare race for one who can make a sell the best .

Let alone people trying to get the best enchants on items.

Maybe the day people see this as a game to enjoy you may have more players and add a lot of what WU servers have ..

I have had a lot of friends come and try out the game , but after a month just got bored doing same things over and over.

Only time can tell ...

Wurm might grow it's community if the devs did a complete re-write of the game in a community-supported game engine.

Wurm 2.0 in Unreal Engine or something? :)

53 minutes ago, Trake said:

Wurm might grow it's community if the devs did a complete re-write of the game in a community-supported game engine.

Wurm 2.0 in Unreal Engine or something? :)

And why do you think Wurms problem is in engine? What do you suppose Wurm using Unreal Engine will bring and what would be benefit from it?

To me it's waste of time and resources