Sign in to follow this  
ChampagneDragon

What has made you hate Wurm?

Wurm isn't a game for everyone, stop trying to make it for everyone....

update:

THREE "the path of Vynora" achievements (3000 fish)

Biggest to date: 163.xx caught at 75ish skill.

Four imps to rare rod, each time 93 or 95ql.

Nothing really made me hate Wurm, but I do dislike some mechanics and thus have learned to avoid them.

Grinding a skill for too long is one of such things. Getting a few points to a skill every now and then isn't so bad, but grinding one up by 10-20 points in a very short time is a big no no, that will just burn me out. (unless the skill is still really low)

Similarly I'm not a big fan of farming, as it forces me to login after X days to harvest what I've sowed, else it will all die. I just want to play when I feel like playing, which means the next time I login can be after 10+ day, so I don't like to put myself on a schedule like that. At that point it gets too close to becoming work. Food also doesn't last long enough to cook anything in bulk, most just goes to waste. Refresh and fasting thankfully do the trick most of the time. It's a shame though since I do like cooking, the current food decay is just what kills that feature for me.

to be honest... the only thing that gets me about this game is people who shove their way to play the game down other people's throat.. we all come here for our own reasons so just let it be.. like @kylebooze said this is not everyone's cup of tea, and quite frankly that makes me happy.. imagine if we had ten year olds running around everywhere,.... all you'd hear at impalongs would be son of a troll and farting all the time..

• Like 1

Nerfing stuff that doesn't need to be nerfed.

Here are a few are that are dumb (imo)

Pottery planter only works in planter racks but for a short bit, it worked everywhere.

Excessive food decay just so there is a reason for snow/larder.

Not letting us put more foodstuffs in FSB, they DO work in FSB, WU has proven this.

Smelting pot troubles (it's still not fixed).

Lumps less than standard weight now are more likely to make it so the next imp tool is lump again.

It hasn't happened yet but I very much fear how the devs are going to break priests.

Trellis that need to be pruned.

Limiting trellis to 4 per a tile.

Limiting basically anything to some count per a tile.

I'm sure I could go on and on...

It also somewhat irks me that the graphics department doesn't want to spend time making Wurm work well on low power computers. How bad would it be to let us replace the some of the graphics in the graphics.jar?  I'm pretty sure folks could come up with some supper simplified objects and tiny texture dds files.

3 hours ago, joedobo said:

How bad would it be to let us replace the some of the graphics in the graphics.jar?

?

Edited by Inventor
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

update:

THREE "the path of Vynora" achievements (3000 fish)

Biggest to date: 163.xx caught at 75ish skill.

Four imps to rare rod, each time 93 or 95ql.

unknown.png

• Like 1

The intolerance of others play style, and overall Highschool jocks "coolkids" mentality in some of the PvP community. Granted my view is from a while ago now so I can't really comment on how it is these days. There is "competitive" and "competitive"...one is fun, and the other is toxic. Sometimes it's hard to see the difference fast enough.

• Like 2

Hate is too strong a word, but I have stopped playing Wurm because of the tedium of the gameplay. Also,  I can't do anything I would like to do without investing at least an hour or two into the game, and that's not really possible right now for reasons.

as a new or individual player there isnt much to encourage others to work with you.

If your in a group of new players then you all work together to build a deed, skills take a long time to lvl so working together makes sense cos you can spread the skill learning out among you. If your starting on your own your more or less redundant as most other players have significantly leveled all required skills and can do most things themselves. 

Once your leveled up, theres not much to do with other players - you could work on giant construction projects but the servers are fairly built up as it is, even if you found space to build something it wouldn't make much of an impression. 

Other than construction or PVP (which a lot of ppl arnt in to) I cant think of much group play aspects of the game

11 hours ago, CountZero said:

as a new or individual player there isnt much to encourage others to work with you.

If your in a group of new players then you all work together to build a deed, skills take a long time to lvl so working together makes sense cos you can spread the skill learning out among you. If your starting on your own your more or less redundant as most other players have significantly leveled all required skills and can do most things themselves. 

Once your leveled up, theres not much to do with other players - you could work on giant construction projects but the servers are fairly built up as it is, even if you found space to build something it wouldn't make much of an impression. 

Other than construction or PVP (which a lot of ppl arnt in to) I cant think of much group play aspects of the game

Slayings, Rifts, Player Events.. but yeah, I agree. 

On 8/21/2018 at 2:33 AM, Gladiator said:

I hate how PVE is so boring , easy and pointless, yet the majority of players choose it over PVP because they can't  possibly lose their 1 silver worth chainset

Losing 1 silver worth of chainset is only worth it if the enjoyment of pvp is worth 1 silver... which its not lol. Much rather keep wurm as a relaxation game and PVP in a game that takes more effort in combat than getting gear and skills.

Anywho, I "hate" that there are flags, banners, and wagons that can only be re-textured for kingdoms.

• Like 1

I hate that people who haven't pvp'd in wurm comment on it with theories of how it plays out. 

Looking forward to the next 3 pages of bad black bold quotes and theories. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

I hate that people who haven't pvp'd in wurm comment on it with theories of how it plays out. 

This has been going on for pretty much the entirety of the time I have played, and a lot of the same people are still on about it, convincing others with points that are simply untrue.

It has been about 10  years now I lost count.

I don't enjoy grinding it gets to boring after a while but wouldn't be that bad IF there was a choice to do something other on occasion ..im talking about more excitement in game . What if you made in a few secluded parts of the map a large winding cave with different offshoots thru it where indigenous Bigfoots or some other creature lived. And it would take more than one of you to go thru it to make it out alive ..it would add some excitement , hunting and teamwork ..that is whats really missing from the game that you do so much solo ..also you could make part of the map into a capture the flag area ..build a fortress have alliance that want to take it over and try to defend it ..you could have a few scattered around the map so its not a monopoly thing  

1 hour ago, Mclavin said:

Let's set aside our differences and bear with me for a moment...... 

How come the PvP kingdoms don't have some form of "training academy" on the PvE servers.... new player portals straight into Chaos, drag him to the PvE deed to grind some skills undisturbed.  New player portals into PvE with the specific intent to grind up before getting ganked on Chaos, once again... training academy.  Oldish PvE player is curious but unconvinced, there's a deed to interact with you guys and get briefed on basic tactics.

You teach PvE players about the workings of PvP, you may gain more people.  You keep dismissing anything PvE players have to say about PvP AND about PvE, you just wind up reminding them how Wurm's PvP is the whim of a couple dozen players funded by the money of a thousand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mclavin said:

Its slow, you don't aim your bow, you dont aim your swing. I dont need to step into epic to find that out.

6 hours ago, Mclavin said:

I'll make 4 pages!!! I haven't been on the forums much recently.

• Like 1

Just got back from a long vacation, hopped into Wurm for the first time in weeks, decided I needed to imp up my horse gear a bit, and was immediately asking myself why I was playing.  All I was doing was mindlessly clicking over and over again: all frustration, physical discomfort, and no fun.

The only answer I had for myself is my previous investment in the game, and that's not a good answer. :( I have a project I do want to finish, but I find myself looking forward to just being done with Wurm.

What Rocc has said is true. At this point - it just feels pointless. Many people have given up on them ever going anywhere with the game. Refusal to have a marketing strategy other than " word of mouth ".  Epic was abandoned again as it has been many times by the Devs. The last time they changed Epic, half the player base quit - then got a short term spike that was transferred away back to freedom within a few weeks ( via the devs actual one sided transfer ). If they do decide to do anything with Epic it might as well be to pull the plug. The people who are left and don't play would be better off having everything deleted so they can move on to something else worthwhile.

Good game, well, it could of been. 

So you know what, I'm going to say it for once. I don't hate Wurm. I hate the devs. They failed to listen and they failed to act. This is what happens when you listen to a PvE player base for a PvP server. The changes to make were simple and still are but it will never happen because of their refusal to acknowledge they are wrong and made huge mistakes. I feel sorry for those who are playing and who warned me when I started the game about how bad it was. THEY were right.

If you want a game that isn't depressing you need MORE people. All servers. Its just that freakin' simple.

I welcome a ban for my " hate " speech. Ban the truth here.

Let me give you the crux (yes, I do still read these forums from time to time, following the upcoming priest update with interest).

They're trying to balance two games with a single set of mechanics; and it shows.  Balancing a PvE game is difficult; balancing a PvP game is even more difficult.  In the former, you, manly, want the game itself to engage your players, in the latter, you mainly want the game to provide a level playing field so your players can engage one another.

These goals are rarely compatible; a great many games separate PvP mechanics from PvE mechanics.  Usually, if a game does both with the same mechanics, it is to the detriment of one playstyle.  For example, the closest examples to wurm are Hafen and Salem, both favour the PvPers over the PvEers, and this shows in player demographic (the great PvE is ruined by the horrific PvP imposition).

Wurm doesn't fully cater to either group; so we have priests balanced for PvP, animal breeding balanced for PvE, unique crafting items for PvP, item mechanics designed for PvE etc.

All this leads to a further divided playerbase, and any truely innovative changes being shot down by the side that likes the status quo.  Given that the game is now largely community suggestion driven, this is extremely problematic.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

All this leads to a further divided playerbase, and any truely innovative changes being shot down by the side that likes the status quo.  Given that the game is now largely community suggestion driven, this is extremely problematic.

We don't let each side shoot down ideas simply on playstyle, while some ideas may impact PvP or PvE that does not stop us from wanting to achieve the goal of the matter. Some things may need adjusting, but I can assure you that the days of "we cant have x because of pve/pvp" We want both and can work with both in mind

P.S. I hope you're willing to help out with the priest rework, as I've got your input in mind! 

• Like 1

I always read ideas about Wurm with interest and it is clear that there are at least two major groups- those that enjoy PvP and those who enjoy PvEI

I can only write with a little authority about the PvE aspect.

When I started playing, I was amazed even then with the choices and opportunities available to me. Since then and especially latterly we the players have had update after update to expand the possibilities to an almost limitless extent- I give the work done by Factional Fight as evidence of that.

As paying players, we are most definitely entitled to moan at aspects that can- and sometimes do- affect our enjoyment. We have a section of the forums for ideas. Some of the ideas may be the result of a glass of something but others ideas can stimulate that 'eureka moment'. The development team have a tricky balancing act to fulfil. They cannot hope to please everyone and we should trust their own 'feel' for Wurm and the developmental path that they have.

Every couple of weeks we get Retrograde telling us what we have to look forward.  I cannot think of anything more that could be done to inform the players. May I therefore respectfully suggest that instead of slating the work that has been done, players compare what is done for us here with what other games inflict on their players and thank their lucky stars- better still, thank the development team which in my own opinion is the strongest that it has ever been.

For those PvP players, I am sorry that some of you feel let down. Instead of knocking genuine effort, would it not be better if there was a closed forum for senior PvP people and a small number of the development team? That may not guarantee you get the changes that you are so evidently looking for but it may give you a little more say in the development of that side of Wurm. It may even let you see what a challenge improving Wurm can be :)

Like others, I won't say hate.  In general I love Wurm, or I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I have. There's no other game out there quite like it and the devs are doing a stellar job, imo.  But if I were to name a few things that personally annoy me to no end, it would be these...

One is the RL cash thing. I have no problem spending some money in a game. That's my entertainment money. Some of the wu servers have a cash shop type setup, where you can get certain non-game-breaking items for donations, and I'm all for that.  But no pay to win, no passing around characters like street corner hookers (and when you speak to a character, you know it's the same "person" you spoke to last time you saw that character), no in-game stuff being sold for 100s of RL dollars going into players pockets instead of the game, etc.  The money goes to the running of the servers, as it should be.  Not into the pockets of those who are gaming the game, which in my opinion directly takes away from the development and maintenance of the game.

Another is the looooooong a$$ timers, combined with the loooooong a$$ time it takes to go anywhere or do anything.  lol.  Yeah I know, we should all be used to it, and yet it still annoys me no end.  Honestly, when I log into wo after playing wu, I feel half blind (no mini map), half crippled (no teleporters or recall runes), and sluggish with every little thing taking forever, it seems. If someone needs help with something, large or small (they're being eaten by something, or they want me to see what they just did to their house & want opinions), I can't just run over to help. I'd have to plan a half-day adventure just to get there & back and by then it would probably be too late, if they were being eaten lol,  so why bother.  Guess I've gotten really spoiled with being able to interact with people in ways that are impossible in wo, and being able to get "chores" out of the way each day, and actually having time to do other stuff I'd rather be doing before I have to log off.

And lastly, just a personal bugaboo of mine, hehe.  Why oh why do we have to have a log-off timer on pve servers?  I ask you. What possible reason could there be?  lol.  Time to log off, not been fighting, not interested in fighting, and a damn wolf tags you just before you get to your house.  lol.  It's enough to tick off the Pope himself.

Those are my main complaints. There are other annoyances but like I said, overall I still love Wurm.  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Amadee said:

Another is the looooooong a$$ timers, combined with the loooooong a$$ time it takes to go anywhere or do anything.  lol.  Yeah I know, we should all be used to it, and yet it still annoys me no end.  Honestly, when I log into wo after playing wu, I feel half blind (no mini map), half crippled (no teleporters or recall runes), and sluggish with every little thing taking forever, it seems. If someone needs help with something, large or small (they're being eaten by something, or they want me to see what they just did to their house & want opinions), I can't just run over to help. I'd have to plan a half-day adventure just to get there & back and by then it would probably be too late, if they were being eaten lol,  so why bother.  Guess I've gotten really spoiled with being able to interact with people in ways that are impossible in wo, and being able to get "chores" out of the way each day, and actually having time to do other stuff I'd rather be doing before I have to log off.

I actually enjoy the way WO is set up more than WU. At first I was excited to hear that crafting items is actually beneficial. I went from "darn I need to imp carp items for skill" to "sweet now I can actually gain skill making the houses I want" because it depended on success ONLY. But this quickly turned into "darn i should cast BoTD on these items... but the cast I do on BoTD is going to offer the same skillgain and light token, but BoTD will fail more." I've also been mindlessly spamming a huge amount of arrowheads for skillgain because grinding by imping is soo much slower, sometimes I succeed and I don't gain skill. Or I'm blind and I don't realize it. I still play WU without the mini map. You can easily feel less blind using roads and signs. The teleporters so far are only means of me making it to spawn easily to pray at a white altar for 3 alignment.

Also the boosted skillgain and smaller timers results in promoting players to play alone. I play on mythmoor prime for the population (and to avoid role players on Mystic) and you can get high skill easily when offered a crafting tool, not imping, with 70+ BoTD. The bright side of all of this is that its easier to complete larger projects... and its easier to make your town laggy.

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We don't let each side shoot down ideas simply on playstyle, while some ideas may impact PvP or PvE that does not stop us from wanting to achieve the goal of the matter. Some things may need adjusting, but I can assure you that the days of "we cant have x because of pve/pvp" We want both and can work with both in mind

I'll take that as "Having more than one tame animal is coming, and that silly CR nerf they get will be done away with" =P 

• Like 2