Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

QOL - Meditation

Even worse than the infrequency of a meditation tick is the requirement to move 10 tiles away to meditate in a new spot each time. It is bad enough I must stop the activity I am doing to do nothing for 2 minutes in the hope of getting a tick, but you have to move from your work space to do this as well, closing up all your inventory windows you may have open to do this every hour when you just want to get stuff done. Oh and having to lug my carpet around as well.

Let us meditate in the same spot, if this is some part of anti-botting well get gud at catching the cheaters, stop making everyone else pay the price.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 8

Just put 2 med rugs 10 tiles away from each other, not too hard when coupled with the wurm assistant timers.

And on that note i'm going to Beegee's for a shake, hope i don't get a brain-freeze, makes me shiver...

• Like 2

I find this an unnecessary change and the suggestion itself rather inappropriately presented. (I am hereby referring to this particular phrase.)

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Let us meditate in the same spot, if this is some part of anti-botting well get gud at catching the cheaters, stop making everyone else pay the price.

After hitting 20 meditating you need to wait for a time between each meditation attempt anyway, I don't see the issue with walking to another rug then. 

In Wurm, some skills have always been harder to grind than others. For me, meditating is fine just the way it is. 

Edited by Yldrania

+1

You design for the masses and protect against the margins, not the other way around. The "must move 10 tiles" rule is bad. Whatever behavior it was meant to protect against cannot possibly be more important than the satisfaction of the other 95% of your customers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yldrania said:

I find this an unnecessary change and the suggestion itself rather inappropriately presented. (I am hereby referring to this particular phrase.)

After hitting 20 meditating you need to wait for a time between each meditation attempt anyway, I don't see the issue with walking to another rug then. 

In Wurm, some skills have always been harder to grind than others. For me, meditating is fine just the way it is. 

It is a periodic interruption of an activity you are doing that requires to be in one spot, I hate it, and is the biggest reason why I stopped meditating after hitting 80 in the skill. When I am working on the forge or building something its truly annoying having to leave your work area to meditate.

• Like 1

Tbh I would rather have ticks every time I meditate, I don't mind moving that much...

• Like 2

I am pretty sure meditating aswell as fishing is meant to make you take a break from insane grinding.

Take a break and relax.

Leaving the forge for some minutes wont hurt you.

59 minutes ago, Cecci said:

I am pretty sure meditating aswell as fishing is meant to make you take a break from insane grinding.

Take a break and relax.

Leaving the forge for some minutes wont hurt you.

That is being unproductive!

When I am busy I may have 3-6 different containers open and organized, stepping away closes all this and is quite annoying.

• Like 1

Well, don't we all?

Have loads of open containers I mean.

+1

After getting your windows done just so.  I don't see why we have to move. What is so magical about moving 10 tiles.

Or let us get a tick on ever meditation. 

I'll take either solution.

• Like 3

+1

annoying thing to get rid of

also were suggested earlier

If we were guaranteed a tick on every 2 minutes spent meditating I would not complain about this skill at all.

But moving around to find something 10 tiles away, spending 2 minutes meditating then getting a refresh tick or soul is really not worth the effort if its going to disrupt your current task you may be working on.

How would you like it if your priest had to move to a different altar every time his pray was up? It is ridiculous.

• Like 1

I'm fully in support of players actually having to move every once in a while. 10 tiles isn't much. That's what, 10 seconds?

This kind of reminds me of those suggestions that there shouldn't be timers on meditation at all, in the sense that it's attempting to take away a vaguely unique thing about the skill, while showing exactly what purpose that thing serves. In this case, it incentivizes not staying in the same exact spot for hours on end; is that really such a bad thing? Is that not possibly the point?

As far as getting skill every time, the law of large numbers applies here. You have a certain chance to gain skill every time, and on average, that's how many skill ticks you'll get. For example, if you have a 70% chance of a skill tick, on average you'll get skill ticks 70% of the time, and over a long enough time, reality will reflect that average. Let's say that hypothetically, meditation were changed to progress at roughly the same rate, but not require a randomized skill check: Skill gain would have to be reduced by some percentage to make it match the current average, and in the end... you'd be getting the exact same average skill per day as you do now. There would, in effect, be no difference, and you would increase your meditation skill at pretty much exactly the same rate; you just wouldn't have lucky or unlucky days anymore.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

As far as getting skill every time, the law of large numbers applies here.

get back to us once you hit 80-90 meditating, until then shush as you know nothing

I got 90 on gary on epic where it's harder than freedom.  I got 80 on mrgary on epic where it's harder than freedom, then got 80 again on freedom before the skill merge.  I got several other alts to 70 on epic where it's harder than freedom, as well as any other 30 skill grass army alts.  I personally consider myself well qualified to state that moving 10 tiles adds absolutely NOTHING to difficulty and is nothing more than an annoyance for the sake of being an annoyance.  It's not even necessary for those people/alts that login, meditate, then log out for 30m/3hr, so why punish those that actually are playing?  It adds nothing to the game, it's just a mind numbing chore.  It's not just walking 10 tiles once for 10 seconds woo anyone can do that no, it's an extra random pointless 10 tile walk every single time you meditate for the 5-8+ times a day you meditate for the however many months in the year you grind.  That adds up to a lot of time wasted when you could've spent that time actually playing the game, it's a part of an activity that discourages doing the activity.  It's not even like removing the 10 tile action packed adventure will suddenly make everyone get 90 med faster either

• Like 9

Well we have some stuff coded in to prevent to much monotony, fatigue is another more harsh one maybe.

19 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I personally consider myself well qualified to state that moving 10 tiles adds absolutely NOTHING to difficulty and is nothing more than an annoyance for the sake of being an annoyance.

I don't think anyone here is claiming that it makes meditation more difficult, or is intended to do so.

If your upset that you have to walk ten tiles maybe you should meditate more and figure out why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mirrormatch said:

If your upset that you have to walk ten tiles maybe you should meditate more and figure out why.

lol to be fair this is a valid point.

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I don't think anyone here is claiming that it makes meditation more difficult, or is intended to do so.

the first -1: "In Wurm, some skills have always been harder to grind than others."

More differences between how skills progress please, not fewer. Since a lot of the appeal in Wurm is the grind, it's a plus when grinds have quirks that make them more unique and less samey. And this quirk imo is actually pretty fitting for the skill. It's a case of horses for courses – different playing styles will naturally suit different grinds, as they ought to.

• Like 1