Sign in to follow this  
Locath

Catch a 175kg fish personal goal

This is for other people's sanity, not for my own benefit as I have eventually caught that bastard.

After 2 solid months out on the sea, on 3 minute timer actions (averages out at let's call it 1 minute before pulling out the fish), 10 times got the achievement "The Path of Vynora" so over 10k fish caught.

Using a rare fine fishing rod with (most recently) 98ql string and 96+ fishing skill I finally got it done.

On top of that, special spots migrate every season so I had to sail around to find a new one every so often.

The suggestion here is to change that from gold to diamond achievement for others sanity. If we compare that to "bin 10k items" diamond achievement, which can be done in one day using 10 bins at pretty much zero cost (using wood scraps) or even easier using vegetables/meat which weighs 0.3kg per piece, it doesn't seem right.

I don't really care if this change happens or not as I have my 176kg Marlin today but it doesn't seem right and I feel sorry for others with this goal.

• Like 6

I am SOOOO frustrated with this one. I've grinded up from next to nothing to 82 fishing skill. Bought a rare rod, and had it imped to 93 TWICE.  Everyone I talked to said it took "about 80 skill".  At 75 fishing skill I found my marlin spot, and almost instantly caught a 163kg fish. 

ALL I did this weekend was fish. Sit there, queue up 6 actions, walk away and do something else for 15 minutes. Then stare at the screen and wait to repeat. I binned 24,600 marlin filets. The max filet from a marlin is 50. THE MAX. So I binned at the very least 492 marlin. That doesn't include all the other fish I binned. 

I repaired 6250 fences with way less angst. I made 5000L of wine with no problem. This one? I officially hate Wurm. 

I have accepted that I may never finish this one, at least not in time before the system changes and of course no clue what that will leave me with. I've decided the first thing to concentrate on is the skill, not worrying too much about really high ql rod and line though I use decent ones, the skill seems the first most important thing. However, I've had conflicting/confusing info from many other peeps on this goal, it would be very helpful if wiki had a bit more info that cleared some of it up at least. I've been told that the rare fish spots don't actually move around, but that the type of fish caught there changes with the seasons, which makes sense but then others still say the spots themselves migrate around, so which is it? Someone told me it can't be just 'any' rare fish spot but must be specifically a 'shark' rare fish spot (guess I'd only know that by catching a shark ?, or maybe marlin since they count too), but then others have said no, a rare fish spot is a rare fish spot. Maybe just needs to be out in deep water but the only rare spots I've ever found are in deep water anyway.  I used to look for spots around where I see sea life like sharks, octopus etc but have been told that has nothing to do with it either so just stick with the ones I know of now.

Gratz to all who have managed to do this one, and yes, it most certainly should be a diamond achievement!

@Tilda: if this spring you found a Marlin spot, in summer it will be a different fish but next spring it will be Marlin again. I eventually marked them with rafts, hoping people won't just come by and pick them up so it was easier to find them next year.

Thanks Locath, I try to leave row boats at the spots I find :) 

Note that even the wiki has conflicting info on whether or not the tiles actually move.

On the LoD info it says this:

Locates rare fishing spot tiles. These tiles do not move or disappear on their own. The tiles will change to a different special fish type at the beginning of a season change. Tiles can disappear if the terrain around them is modified.

Yet on the fishing info page about special tiles it says this:

Special fishing tiles will move with the seasons and provide different fish. This occurs at the beginning of a season change.

So yeah, which is it lol. Guess I will just watch my spots and see if they go away.

They DO move. I was fishing on a marlin tile when the season changed and went over an hour without catching one. Got the pendulum back out, it had moved around 10ish tiles (hard to tell exactly when the water is that deep)

Edited by ChampagneDragon

White sharks are also easier to catch than marlins... making it slightly easier... the update also made the goal possible... extremly painful but possible. Only took me a few hours after the change to bag a shark big enough for it... with a 97QL supreme fine fishing rod. Rarity and QL will help you a lot.

1 minute ago, Odynn said:

White sharks are also easier to catch than marlins... making it slightly easier... the update also made the goal possible... extremly painful but possible. Only took me a few hours after the change to bag a shark big enough for it... with a 97QL supreme fine fishing rod. Rarity and QL will help you a lot.

At what skill?

I'm using a rare rod, WAS 93 ql (twice) on a shark spot now (and last night). Still not catching anything significant. 

Up to 83 skill now.

Up to 53 white sharks caught this morning. Only used 1/4 of the farmer's salve I brought with me. Biggest shark was around 100kg

Edited by ChampagneDragon

@Chmpaigne - when you get to 97 fishing, have filled 18 crates with Marlin's/white sharks AND you have an additional 400k filets, you are welcome to complain.

Best advice I can give is use a carpenter to imp a pole far beyond painful while your other toon is fishing.

1 hour ago, ChampagneDragon said:

They DO move

Ok thanks good to know. Might explain why I see other orphaned rowboats sitting around near some of them, folks marked but the tile moved.

@Wargasm: it wasn't that bad in my case and I don't envy you if you had to fish that many before you got yours. 240k+ marlin fillets (effectively allowing 24 other people to complete the "bin 10k items" diamond goal in one day) but since there is very little information on what affects the chance, let's assume that everything does.

In my case it tool a legendary carpenter to imp my rod (that's one skill required at high level)

Another person to make some 98ql+ fine fishing lines (that's 2 skills and this one is Miscellaneous so not an easy one to grind) which in turn are capped by the quality of the String of Cloth so Cloth Tailoring (3 high-end skills)

On top of that my own 96 fishing so 4 skills.

Again, we don't know which of those (if any), or if the rarity of the rod affect the chance, until someone explains how this works, the golden goal either requires 4 skills at 90+ (closer to 99) or is purely random.

I'm not asking for the requirements to be lowered or excessive changes to be made to the fishing code. Instead consider making it a diamond achievement because it really feels punishing to have to sit in a boat for 2 solid months, up to 17h/day to get an equivalent of "Plant 500 flowers".

Very few people get this achievement.  Maybe 1 in 10.

More than 1/10 people get the trash bins or 5k wine or repair 6250 walls.  Due to the fact that there exists many more "doable" gold achievement goals than diamond, this would result in more people having to catch the fish.

On 8/21/2018 at 2:20 AM, Locath said:

but since there is very little information on what affects the chance, let's assume that everything does.

Fishing rod ql, rarity. fishing line is just break chance

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

And fishing skill, and make sure you're fishing in water deeper than 250 slope.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:51 AM, Wargasm said:

Very few people get this achievement.  Maybe 1 in 10.

More than 1/10 people get the trash bins or 5k wine or repair 6250 walls.  Due to the fact that there exists many more "doable" gold achievement goals than diamond, this would result in more people having to catch the fish.

i got 3, fish, wine and repair 6250walls