Sign in to follow this  
jackjones

"Improve With" Sticky Rune

Rune that when applied to an item fixes a random "Improve With" to the item. The material that the runed item needs to be improved is then sticky and does not change via RNG on successful improve actions.

Example:

Apply rune to sword. Sword is randomly selected to "Improve With" an iron lump. Iron lump is then sticky and does not change after successful improve action.

More awesomeness:

Since this rune would interrupt the RNG sequence that determines what the "Improve With" is after a successful imp, I propose that the code also checks the skill of the crafter. This could limit the runes effectiveness to crafters with 90 or more skill. What's another check in a sea of thousands?

Cause and effect:

The need for such a rune comes from this armor-smith's desire to better utilize an imbued hammer with a high WOA. I love it when the pieces I am improving need a hammer for the imp. Those imp rarely fail and are only 6 second actions. 

Of course runing an entire set of armor to "Improve With" hammer would be expensive, since the rune applies a random "Improve With" item. The math here is staggering, but my calculator showed the odds of sticking an entire set of armor with the same "Improve With" at 1 in 125 or 1 in 356,000 (hey, I'm just a web developer). Because of these high costs, this rune would have spot usage only.

This rune would not get much usage for already crafted and enchanted items. In terms of sales, this might not be a very profitable rune to have an an item. I can see it as a rune that crafters put on future sale-able items, just to get QL up, then the rune would be dispelled prior to sale. 

I can also see this rune used for the personal use of high level crafters. Imagine a weapon-smith with a runed weapon out on an adventure: a sword with a sticky hammer "Improve With" could be tossed in a camp fire and improved quickly, without the need for a forge, water or high quality metals. 

This rune would be a buff for all high level crafting skills except armor-smithing.

Being able to maintain moon metal items without using moon metal to imp seems like side effect that is a little bit owerpowered...

• Like 5

Interesting idea. It has serious implications, however, for moon metals, less common high-quality/low-weight metals like silver and gold, alloys, and any medium to large items made from any of these metals. These runes would eliminate the need for high-ql raw mats; in the case of most non-iron items, runing till you get hammer, pelt, whetstone, or water as the sticky tool would become the default option when imping to high or very high quality. Metallurgy would become pretty useless as a skill - you'd need just enough low-ql alloy for creation, then pop a rune on the item and imp it up without any need for high-ql steel, bronze, electrum, etc. Such items would be much easier to make, as would high-ql moon metal items and high-ql gold and silver weapons, for example. So it would be no small change.

Edited by Gwyn
  • Like 3

This seems something suited to WU.  I say this because most every WU server is set on easy mode and to me this idea screams just that.

-1 for WO.   +1 for WU

• Like 2