c79z2r7.png

Calico at night - Pristine - Joelle

Well, the update beat me to the news this week, so we'll be recapping what went out (because that's what I had prepared!) and also touching a little on some big things in the near future! 

But first..

Patch Notes

Spoiler
  • New: Skills at 99 or greater are protected from being lost upon death, excluding fighting and characteristics.
  • Change: The number of animals branded to a deed will now be displayed in village info.
  • Change: Freezing a surface tile with Path of Power now also freezes the cave tile.
  • Change: Blood from legendary creatures now displays which legendary dropped the blood on examine and when mailed will display in mouseover.
  • Change: A “Kingdom of”  permissions category has been added to vehicles.
  • Change: Added ability to plant flowers directly on grass tiles without requiring cultivating the tile first.
  • Change: The new armour system previously on Epic now applies to all servers:
    • Changes to base damage reduction rates for armours:
      • Leather from 45% to 60%
      • Studded from 50% to 62.5%
      • Chain from 55% to 62.5%
      • Cloth from 35% to 40%
      • Drake, Scale and Plate no changes (65%, 70%, 65% respectively)
    • Changes to movement speed modifiers from wearing armour:
      • Plate armour should be slightly faster when worn now.
      • Lowered the movement speed reduction from all helms.
      • Glimmersteel and Seryll armours now have a 10% movement speed bonus.
      • Adamantine armours now have a 5% movement speed bonus.
    • Changes to damage type damage reduction modifiers on armours (lower % means less effective against that damage type, 100% = no modifier):
      • Leather: 90% vs bite, pierce and acid; 110% vs slash and burn damage; 100% vs others.
      • Studded: 90% vs slash and acid; 105% vs bite; 110% vs pierce and cold; 100% vs others.
      • Chain: 92.5% vs pierce and cold; 107.5% vs bite, crush and burn; 100% vs others
      • Plate: 95% vs crush and burn; 105% vs bite, slash and acid; 100% vs others.
      • Cloth: 80% vs bite, slash and burn; 120% vs crush and cold; 100% vs others.
      • Drake: 95% vs slash and acid; 105% vs crush and cold; 100% vs others.
      • Scale: 95% vs crush and cold; 105% vs pierce and burn; 100% vs others.
  • PvP Change: Special moves will now display a multicolor line in the Combat tab when one of either combatant starts to use a special move. This will also display an on-screen message for both clients.
  • PvP Change: The animal permissions window is now available via the body menu.
    • This includes all animal permissions as per freedom, with appropriate enemy kingdom allowances (Enemy kingdom members are able to do anything).
  • PvP Change: Improvements to the Kingdom window.  See list below.
    • Now shows land percent up to two decimals
    • Has a % sign to denote it is a percentage.
    • Capitalization for the headers in each column.
    • Now shows appointed success rate as a full number percentage.
    • In the event of a kingdom reset, the kingdom’s current land share will become their starting land share.

• PvP Bugfix: Zombies summoned through religious spells will no longer be hostile to same-kingdom players.
  • PvP Bugfix: Leaving a PMK through the Change Kingdom feature will no longer incur a 14 day cooldown.
  • PvP Bugfix: Valrei creatures with no kingdom will now be attacked by deed guards.
  • PvP Bugfix: Deeds under siege with exactly 10 guards should now properly spawn the guards in waves instead of one at a time.
  • PvP Bugfix: The lockpicking timer will no longer be reset by defenders locking or unlocking the door/gate.
  • Bugfix: Improving placed metal mine doors more aligned to improving those not placed.
  • Bugfix: You must be within a 1 tile range in order to bash a mine door.
  • Bugfix: You can remove inventory groups/subgroups with or without an item activated.
  • Bugfix: Reworded the profile toggling messages to be more clear when choosing to show or hide the pve death tab notices.
  • Bugfix: All two handed weapons should now properly use the two handed fighting animation.
  • Bugfix: PvE Death Tab will now report  animal conditions as well as type.  Ex. old raging Large rat, aged champion Black wolf instead of just old Large rat and aged Black wolf.
  • Bugfix: Unequip All now ignores items in equipped containers.
  • Bugfix: You must be on the same layer in order to repair house walls/fences.
  • Bugfix: Combat should now break repair and continue building actions.
  • Bugfix: Summer hats now have their previous defensive values as armour.
  • Bugfix: Leather armour now has a +30% archery/casting bonus like it should.
  • Bugfix: Leading a non-swimming creature into water will now allow you to lead it back out if it gets stuck and you automatically stop leading.
  • Bugfix: Open and close actions on containers on the ground should now be able to be  opened and closed when the right click menu gives the option.
  • Bugfix: You can no longer build/continue a fence or attach a mine door from inside a cave.
  • Bugfix: Rift jewelry will no longer take charges from items in the inventory if an identical one is equipped.
  • Bugfix: Prayers no longer count towards the daily 5 cap if you don’t actually gain faith from it, this scenario occurs when praying as non premium.
  • Bugfix: Prevent losing priesthood at exactly 30 faith when crossing servers.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue which prevented you from picking up your own corpse on a deed if you were carrying a creature corpse at the time of death.
  • Bugfix: You can no longer sacrifice any creature unless there is a current mission to do so.
  • Bugfix: Dropped corpses will now retain the last owner information so that they can be picked up again if dropped.

Armour updates
Last nights update saw a bit of a change to how armours work together, with base DR rebalancing, and adjusting DR based on damage type. This helps improve the effectiveness of studded leather and chain, while also giving some love to plate, reducing the movement speed penalty. Don't forget the values listed in the patch notes are for iron specifically, meaning plate and chain gain extra DR benefits from other metals over studded. 

It's a change that increases the viability and surviveability of all armour types, meaning more choice, more work, and more fun. 

Sindusk has shared a snapshot of a calculator he built based on the epic armour code for his wurm unlimited server, bear in mind these are at 100ql values, so real results will vary! 

2jVvxkI.png

WU beta
With this update out containing some fixes that needed to go in before we launched a WU beta, we can now begin work on a new beta with all the goodies from the past few updates! We'll also be including some special WU centric stuff to make server management a little easier, so stay tuned for that!

Priesty stuff
Today I spent part of the day zapping Budda, and copping some seriously heavy hits as part of internal testing of the priest and spell system. There's a huge amount of work in it, and the dev team have been hard at work on it, with bug fixes, tweaks and further balances expected to continue this week. 

After internal testing, we'll be providing details about whats changed and what to expect, along with the opportunity to jump on the test server and check it all out, find bugs, and all that fun stuff. 

But what would the fun of that be without some teasers? I snuck through some notes and gathered a little bit of intel to share ahead of the full release!

Demise Rework

There are two components to the new way demises work: Non-deity demises, and deity demises & protections.

Animal’s Demise, Dragon’s Demise, Human’s Demise, and Selfhealer’s Demise are all remaining as weapon enchants. They will no longer grant increased accuracy and crit chance versus the targets. Instead, they will offer a small damage increase. Dragon’s Demise is being renamed to Legendary Demise and will affect all legendary (unique) creatures. Selfhealer’s Demise is being renamed to Monster’s Demise and will affect all monsters.

These changes should open up more choices. While Dragon’s Demise previously overlapped with everything affected by Selfhealer’s Demise, these new demise changes do not have any conflicts and every target is only affected by one of the demises. The move from hit chance and critical strike towards damage increase was done to try and improve the clarity of the effect. While it was previously extremely difficult to know how much a Demise would increase your chance to hit, the new iteration will give an exact amount of power increase that can be easily understood and weighed against other options.

Protections

Deity demises and protections, such as Fo’s Demise and Libila’s Shielding, have all been reworked into jewelry enchants. These new jewelry enchants work around increasing and reducing damage from a certain damage type. Each deity will receive one offensive and one defensive enchant from these new spells. There is a built-in rivalry between Fo vs Libila, and Magranon vs Vynora.

• Fo: Increased Poison, Reduced Acid
  • Magranon: Increased Fire, Reduced Frost
  • Vynora: Increased Frost, Reduced Fire
  • Libila: Increased Acid, Reduced Poison

These new jewelry enchants all conflict with each other and Nolocate. Players on PvE will now be able to obtain meaningful benefits from wearing certain jewelry, and PvP players will have to make a choice between increased combat prowess and inability to be located.

The change into jewelry enchants was done to combat the deity-specific spells being rather underwhelming and archaic. Jewelry enchants are a bit of a void, and this felt like the perfect opportunity to tackle two birds with one stone. We’re interested to see what type of combinations players are able to figure out in order to maximize their power.

Puzzle labyrinth!
The factional fight brothers are back, and have finished their long awaited labyrinth! 

I dropped in for a tour of it, and attempted to crack it, it's a maddening puzzle that just shows how awesome things can be created in this game, and I hope the brothers are extremely proud of what they've done! To celebrate it, we've joined with them to provide a unique prize for finishing it! I've asked them to write a little bit about it, and I'll provide a link to that post when it goes up! Hope to see you all there though! 

Newspring makeover
It's about time for another starter deed remake, and this time eyes are on Newspring! The rocky island located on Xanadu, home of seals, seals, and more seals! 

We're looking for a starter deed design for Newspring, and want to give you all the opportunity to design and build your dream start deed! As usual we'll provide the materials, you get a team together, plan a design and get to leave your mark on the game! 

Check out the full details and a copy of the deedplanner design here:

That's it from us this week, we'll be zapping each other, freezing and burning, and all sorts of other things, I need to take down Budda and reclaim champ title, expect victorious shouts (I hope)

Until next time, keep on wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 13

Interesting changes. I do have a question, though: with the changed deity demise enchants, you point out bonuses to elements--will Vynora's enchant give a bonus to Frostbrand-cast weapons, as an example?

And I'm still waiting for truly dyable weapons, Retro.

Edited by Delacroix
  • Like 1

The thing is, I can just switch to what ever damage spell I need with my ring, I could in theory carry Mag, Vyn and Lib rings, aswell as a nolo ring? Once the enemy spot me in local, I do not need the no locate ring.
And whats to stop me just using the spell, no locate? Will the ring make it so I cant use nolocate spell? Some small things to consider.

In regards to the 3 others, I can swap them out as i see what damage is hitting me, but this isn't a bad thing and I think this adds another 'element' to pvp which you need to look out for, so that's cool.

How much of a damage boost are we talking if we don't wear the right ring, i don't want to be carrying rings when it isn't worth it, so probably wise to make it so we want to carry rings. 

Edit, we can wear necklass and 2 rings,  can be nolo'd and use 2 rings still.

Edited by Mclavin

The religious stuff is cute, but please don't forget the little things.  Everything about dispel is a nightmare, and sacrifice still interrupts casting so that enchanting sucks even more than it already did.

• Like 9

Stacking identical jewelry applies with diminishing returns. Wearing two identical ones will incur a 33% penalty to both pieces (~133% effectiveness total), and wearing three will incur a 50% penalty to all pieces (150% effectiveness total).

Swapping the jewelry out during combat is possible (and probably efficient). However, the maintenance required to do so and the significant penalties towards effectiveness when stacking should push players more towards various jewelry being equipped. Beyond that, the power of the enchant works similar to Nolocate, where it takes the average of the cast and QL of the jewelry. This means that players are going to want high quality jewelry in order to be the most efficient. Welcome, jewelry smiths. You're now relevant.

• Like 4

I find what limits  priest mainly is there faction hit for doing none class deity action.

Would it be possible to make that a priest no matter what deity can do there class skill to max 99.9 but also let them do other skills with a skill limit of 40 or 50 ?

Adding that no faction hit would happen , would it be possible to flag there main skill for this setup ?

You need to stop player god's enough is enough or give there cast of enchants or other spells a limit in QL possible , they are a lesser  power to be .... compared to the main Wurm gods..

How is it that studded and plate have same bite glance ?  should plate not be more ?

Would plate not have a better glance chance to crush then studded also ?   plate is 30% chance to avoid the hit ? or is that 30% damage from it ?

Now that leather has a casting/archery bonus.  What particular purpose has cloth armour?

I'm thinking of all the cloth tailors out there, which might be negatively affected by priests switching to leather.

Have you any forthcoming plans for cloth armour to offer it some additional benefit or use, or is cloth armour just viewed as peasants' clothing now? :)  

The question of what happens to cloth armor now is a good one, since it lost it's casting advantage.

• Like 1

It wasn't supposed to have that advantage, leather was always supposed to be 30% bonus and has been for years until it was bugged?

10 minutes ago, Muse said:

I'm thinking of all the cloth tailors out there, which might be negatively affected by priests switching to leather.

cloth doesn't effect movement speed which is its appeal. if you were fighting things in cloth you have a death wish.

Sure wish we had padded armor. Would help out the cloth line a bit in combat. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

cloth doesn't effect movement speed which is its appeal

Is that enough reason to make it, buy it or wear it though? :) 

Especially given that:

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

if you were fighting things in cloth you have a death wish.

I don't really like the idea of all the rings... All I see is hours of grinding rings to make sure I have all 5 rings at 90ql+ lol... Ugh more things added to the list of useful things I need to keep, then again I really don't find it fun to micro-manager my inventory constantly so maybe that's a big reason to for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Muse said:

Is that enough reason to make it, buy it or wear it though? :) 

Cloth is what you wear under actual armor, it's pretty much insulation. you wear it when you'd be naked otherwise, i swap from drake to cloth on my alts when i'm working around my deed, or climbing around mountains would otherwise be completely naked. Like many things in this game, if you compare stats and look for the best, 99% of things in the game are gonna be useless.

• Like 1

One possibility would be to give cloth and leather the same base protection and give them different ratings against damage types. Thus it becomes a choice like iron vs steel instead of one being just better. Then in the future we could have different types of cloth and leather (wool, cotton, linen, troll leather, etc.) for even more choices.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Cloth is what you wear under actual armor, it's pretty much insulation. you wear it when you'd be naked otherwise, i swap from drake to cloth on my alts when i'm working around my deed, or climbing around mountains would otherwise be completely naked. Like many things in this game, if you compare stats and look for the best, 99% of things in the game are gonna be useless.

Gambeson

• Like 5

The primary reason people didn't wear heavy armor all the time is largely missing from the game. If wearing the best armor doubled or tippled the stamina cost of every action you took (as a proxy for it being hot, uncomfortable and cumbersome) then everyone would be in  little to no armor unless they expected a fight.

But then again, in real life random animals are not homicidal maniacs that attack everything they see, so real people reasonably didn't expect combat at any second.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 2

The fact that cloth isn't in the chart makes me think Devs are no longer interested in cloth as anything but costumes.  I do like that it is seems to help with troll clubs bashing me, but I'm not sure why.  Seems leather, chain and scale would be better at it.  I get why plate is bad with bludgeoning damage, if the blow were to dent the armor into an uncomfortable shape, but what makes cloth take a club hit better than the others?  If it were padded armor, then certainly.

Still, aside from that, I would like to see a bit of cloth love.  Maybe the new priest spells have new enchants that work on cloth to improve it's function?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

The fact that cloth isn't in the chart makes me think Devs are no longer interested in cloth as anything but costumes.  I do like that it is seems to help with troll clubs bashing me, but I'm not sure why.  Seems leather, chain and scale would be better at it.  I get why plate is bad with bludgeoning damage, if the blow were to dent the armor into an uncomfortable shape, but what makes cloth take a club hit better than the others?  If it were padded armor, then certainly.

Still, aside from that, I would like to see a bit of cloth love.  Maybe the new priest spells have new enchants that work on cloth to improve it's function?

It's more that cloth in general is bad and should never be considered as armour, because it isnt. It is just clothing to wear

Cloth takes "less" in terms of DR%, but it's still a much harder hit as evaluated considers glance rates, which are still pretty low compared to practically any other armour, you might glance more, but 2 hits will end you.

1dSojzL.png

with cloth

• Like 2

Where is poison damage on that sheet? Say I wanted to try out studded leather and a libila protection ring? How would the poison nerf affect me?

I'm guessing mobs are going to start doing more than bite, crush, pierce, slash (for the most part, sure HH and fiend do some fire damage) because otherwise, the protection rings are pretty much useless for normal PvE (not rifts or uniques). It'd be nice to have info on mob damage. I'd prefer to not wait till it comes to WU and fish it out of the decompiled source.

6 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Where is poison damage on that sheet?

Infection Internal Poison and Water all use the armors base DR, they don't have special modifiers

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Cloth takes "less" in terms of DR%, but it's still a much harder hit as evaluated considers glance rates, which are still pretty low compared to practically any other armour, you might glance more, but 2 hits will end you.

As mentioned by others, I wear cloth armor all the time when working around my deed and the local area due to the fact that there is no speed reduction as with all other armors. I can also kill anything except trolls wearing just cloth with a 2hand LT weapon, so I can't really agree with the statements about it being death to do some combat with it. Also now I have switched to a LT longsword and shield for even better protection. Even the patch notes have given it a slight DR bonus from 35% to 40%.

So for those who want some protection when not exclusively out hunting and NO movement reduction for work purposes like dragging carts or carrying loads, I find cloth armor to be the best option. Far from useless or of little value in these circumstances. Looks a lot better than the "pauper look" of no armor at all as well and I am not a priest either. Yeah, to go out hunting mobs away from local I will gear up with heavy armor and a horse but I rarely do that anyway.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ayes said:

As mentioned by others, I wear cloth armor all the time when working around my deed and the local area due to the fact that there is no speed reduction as with all other armors. I can also kill anything except trolls wearing just cloth with a 2hand LT weapon, so I can't really agree with the statements about it being death to do some combat with it. Also now I have switched to a LT longsword and shield for even better protection. Even the patch notes have given it a slight DR bonus from 35% to 40%.

So for those who want some protection when not exclusively out hunting and NO movement reduction for work purposes like dragging carts or carrying loads, I find cloth armor to be the best option. Far from useless or of little value in these circumstances. Looks a lot better than the "pauper look" of no armor at all as well and I am not a priest either. Yeah, to go out hunting mobs away from local I will gear up with heavy armor and a horse but I rarely do that anyway.

=Ayes=

Can confirm, cloth is extremely viable for pve encounters, it also has a VERY good dodge rate. The only thing it truly does poorly with is Hell Hounds, Lava Spiders, Lava Fiends, anything with fire.

• Like 1

i'll just drop an idea for clothiers.... tabards could hold demise spells too, and have a different look for the demise spell they hold.