Sign in to follow this  
Dead_Moss

Why do I continue to get horses with a bad trait?

I understand that when breeding wild horses most of the offspring will have several bad traits, but now I'm breeding second generation (ie, named) horses with only good traits and yet what feels like 9/10 foals still have one bad trait. Rarely more than one, and usually somewhat less bad ones like Unusually Strong Willed, but is that really normal? I have a good tile to creature ratio in my village (17).

Edited by Dead_Moss

How many traits do the mother and father have?

What is your animal husbandry skill?

Are the mother and father siblings?  (Is their mother or father common among them)

For serious horse breeding, it is practically required any more to have a Fo priest who can cast Genesis  to remove bad traits.

And yes that means at least a second monthly subscription, since a PvE non-combat Fo can't do a lot beyond farm and take care of the animals.

Oops that was for WO  ? on most WU servers, a Fo priest can do everything a normal character can. So if you are seriously wanting to breed 5 speed horses, you are really going to want to be a Fo priest (or have one in the village/alliance).   No matter how many generations of perfect breedstock you get, there will always be random bad traits popping in.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

How many traits do the mother and father have?

What is your animal husbandry skill?

Are the mother and father siblings?  (Is their mother or father common among them)

Traits varies as I'm breeding several pairs, but generally not a lot. My skill is 52, but with Epic settings, so I guess 77? And no, not siblings, but offspring of wild horses. Don't know if that matters.

2 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

For serious horse breeding, it is practically required any more to have a Fo priest who can cast Genesis. 

And yes that means at least a second monthly subscription, since a PvE non-combat Fo can't do a lot beyond farm and take care of the animals.

Well, this is Unlimited. I'm playing single player, so I could just edit out the bad traits, but I try not to do stuff like that.

Yes I ninja edited, I forgot which subforum this was ^_^

In WU, whether playing on a public server or a private singleplayer, you still will need access to Genesis (not talking about GM cheats), so try researching Fo priests. It usually involves a long dangerous pilgrimage to the White Light altar to become a Fo follower, then praying till 30 Faith, then converting to priesthood. 

Even in singleplayer, you can actually have multiple clients / multiple characters, so not at all impossible nor "cheating" to have more than one priest type. On public servers, most hardcore Wurm players have multiple "alts". When I play singleplayer, I usually roleplay a couple (male+female), or even a group of sisters working together on a family homestead. You can play a couple at the same time, or give each one different days if you find multiple clients awkward or breaking immersion. Search "multiple clients" for how to do this in Steam.

But for really fast horses, you need a Fo. Otherwise, you will ALWAYS get a certain number of random bad traits no matter how perfect your breeding stock or how high your AH. Personally, I tend to keep my AH level a little on the lower side, first breeding "clean" 1 & 2 tyrait horses, then work up to "clean" 3 & 4 speed trait horses, and only then do I raise it to 50 AH, and try for five speed traits.   

While "inbreeding" is always warned against, in practice it is actually not a huge factor in bad traits. You will gets some with or without inbreeding, and the percentage of the penalty is actually NOT that large. And if you have a Fo priest with Genesis, inbreeding is nearly a non issue anyway.

To add a very useful thread by Noizhead (with clarifications/elaborations by dev Keenan):

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dead_Moss said:

Well, this is Unlimited. I'm playing single player, so I could just edit out the bad traits, but I try not to do stuff like that.

You could also install a priest restrictions removal mod and align to Fo, working your way up to Genesis if you want. 

Another method would be add a white light altar and convert to Fo, then go Champion when available, giving you enough Favor to cast Genesis. 

Right, I had wondered about the grandparents thing. I certainly don't feel I'm seeing roughly 50% good horses, but I suppose it's possible I've been unlucky.