Sign in to follow this  
Sn00

Personal thank you for the PvP focus.

This thread is more focused towards the Dev team than it is it's community but I personally wanted to start this to put my thoughts out there and maybe letting some of the other members of the community do the same.

So far Wurm has been getting so many updates , it's really becoming more and more fun to play , I would personally like to say thank you for awakening the discussion about PvP and thank you so much for these last changes and updates.
I feel like a child on christmas evening.

• Like 9

Disappointed with the direction the updates are going, clearly caving to a very small group of vocal players.

Shame on dev team.

Just now, FranktheTank said:

Disappointed with the direction the updates are going, clearly caving to a very small group of vocal players.

Shame on dev team.

Care to elaborate on that? What's wrong with it?

1 minute ago, FranktheTank said:

Shame on dev team.

?

1 minute ago, Sn00 said:

Care to elaborate on that? What's wrong with it?

Take incentives to play on Epic and moving them to other servers continuing the downward spiral of an entire cluster.

+1 Really good updates.

i fail to see how this would be bad in any way lol, don't have to pay 90 € for a drakeset to be able to pvp anymore which makes it easier for new people to try pvp out.

Indeed thanks for the updates looking forward to seeing where things go.

What is this epic thing you speak of?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Maximillian said:

Indeed thanks for the updates looking forward to seeing where things go.

What is this epic thing you speak of?

Epic = Atlantis
Chaos = Eldorado

You're welcome. 

oh and disable hota too.

People can thank me for that later as well. 

4 minutes ago, Maximillian said:

Lol air head look out.

Tell us something new.

+10 

I happened to check in with Wurm a few months ago and spent hours reading all of the patch notes. 

It, seriously, was the amount and quality of the Development releases that brought me back to the game full time. 

2 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Take incentives to play on Epic and moving them to other servers continuing the downward spiral of an entire cluster.

Does the good of the many outway the good of the one?

5 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

Does the good of the many outway the good of the one?

Of course,

being moving all pvp to epic and separating the game types being the good of the many.

7 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Of course,

being moving all pvp to epic and separating the game types being the good of the many.

Why is that the good of the many since most people are on Chaos atm?
Can you be completely honest with yourself when saying that this opinion is not unbiased?

Also, if you have an argument to support the claim you are making , I'm genuinly interested in hearing it.

Edited by Sn00

20 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

Why is that the good of the many since most people are on Chaos atm?
Can you be completely honest with yourself when saying that this opinion is not unbiased?

Also, if you have an argument to support the claim you are making , I'm genuinly interested in hearing it.

Changes like the armor change have a negative impact on the Freedom economy, both through diminishing need for drake and scale as well as making people who grinded higher tier armor smithing like plate essentially obsolete. It is a slap in the face to crafters everywhere. 

Chaos begged for this change for a long time, saying that it was necessary for competition in the game, as losing drake and scale sets is not fun for anyone, the change was implemented on Epic as both an experiment and an attempt to create a more level playing field, skill transfers were added to encourage people to go play on epic with their recently purchased Chaos based accounts. 

The primary call for transfers  to chaos came when Empire of Mol Rehan was on the map, and the majority of the playerbase on epic wanted to go over to chaos to eliminate them, after their destruction the demand came primarily because epic players wanted to move to Chaos to make money selling various items to the freedom player base (go ahead and tell me no Crusaders we can talk about the gold and you can lie about it again). 

Currently if anyone wants to play on Chaos it is literally impossible (it is do not dispute this) to catch up to the accounts on there in any reasonable time period, if we ever got new players they would certainly not want to go to chaos and drop large sums of cash on the game.  

Chaos was turned into a freedom server because the primary focus was moving pvp to the epic cluster, which was significant foresight on Rolf's part. 

I am sure I could come up with more.

At the end of the day its fine! I would honestly shut down Epic as there is little reason to keep it around.

I am sure the remaining players have no problems either moving to freedom, chaos or playing on the #1 inadvertently made competitor Wurm Unlimited, one of the worst business mistakes ever.

Edited by FranktheTank

What about all the people who like to PvP, but don't like the greater majority of Epics bull####? The screwed up Elevation map. The Home servers. Not to mention the differing skill curve and many other things people from Freedom aren't fans of.

The change was, as you stated, originally implemented as an experiment on Epic. What does this tell you? It says that the change was, eventually, meant to make its way over to freedom servers anyways.

I can agree that some kingdoms wish to make money off the whole thing. Crusaders regularly preach that they only raid/pvp for the loot. Personally though I see nothing wrong with that, if they want to do that let them it's their right and their prerogative. TBH I can't think of a single kingdom that didn't fund its coffers at least in part from transactions that took place on Freedom.

I have discussed these metrics a few times, but currently if you were a newbie starter account and you wanted to engage in PvP, all you have to do is grind up FS to 70 on freedom and hop over. The rest (body stats, crafting and repairing skills, building skills, etc) can be gained in-the-field, and to a competitive level in roughly 2 or 3 years. Quite possibly even faster if you had experience with the game or maybe someone to show you the more well-hidden secrets. Take the Jukimo account as an example of someone who has done this.

Maybe they wanted to move PvP to Epic at one point, but the people that hold Wild dear would be put out of the game at that point, so they didn't. Epic IMO, was an experimental cluster used for testing new mechanics and ideas for the PvP game, and for improving upon Wurm's Endgame material. However, 5 or 6 years down the road, it has been completely and utterly ruined. The players themselves made suggestions that ultimately lead to the depopulation of their own cluster, and then vacated it. How is this the people on Chaos' fault?

To me, your argument sounds as if based entirely within bias. You want the PvP to only happen on your Epic cluster, and the fact that PvP is being made better elsewhere is enraging to you. I find this pretty laughable, especially when you claim to know what "the good of many" is when, not only do you have an opposing viewpoint from the majority but you yourself are just one single person...?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

I am sure the remaining players have no problems either moving to freedom, chaos or playing on the #1 inadvertently made competitor Wurm Unlimited, one of the worst business mistakes ever.

Bdew tried crunching some numbers to find some data proof behind this idea; I still don't see Wurm Unlimited being a bad business decision. 

There doesn't seem to be any correlating data to suggest you lost PvPers to WU. Most of the people on WU are people who HATE subscriptions and Pay2WinPVP, OR want to do their own side projects.

Many of those players still have deeds on WO while they play WU. 

If anything WU was an exceptional business decision because look at all the patches and code updates this game has received from volunteer pro-bono devs making mods.

Most of those mods have made their way into being direct-added to WO.

And if it weren't for WU, CCAB probably never would have found Sindusk as a PvP-developer. 

Stop pooping on WU just because no one wants to come to Chaos and lose money and time to legacy players. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, whereami said:

What about all the people who like to PvP, but don't like the greater majority of Epics bull####? The screwed up Elevation map. The Home servers. Not to mention the differing skill curve and many other things people from Freedom aren't fans of.

The change was, as you stated, originally implemented as an experiment on Epic. What does this tell you? It says that the change was, eventually, meant to make its way over to freedom servers anyways.

I can agree that some kingdoms wish to make money off the whole thing. Crusaders regularly preach that they only raid/pvp for the loot. Personally though I see nothing wrong with that, if they want to do that let them it's their right and their prerogative. TBH I can't think of a single kingdom that didn't fund its coffers at least in part from transactions that took place on Freedom.

I have discussed these metrics a few times, but currently if you were a newbie starter account and you wanted to engage in PvP, all you have to do is grind up FS to 70 on freedom and hop over. The rest (body stats, crafting and repairing skills, building skills, etc) can be gained in-the-field, and to a competitive level in roughly 2 or 3 years. Quite possibly even faster if you had experience with the game or maybe someone to show you the more well-hidden secrets. Take the Jukimo account as an example of someone who has done this.

Maybe they wanted to move PvP to Epic at one point, but the people that hold Wild dear would be put out of the game at that point, so they didn't. Epic IMO, was an experimental cluster used for testing new mechanics and ideas for the PvP game, and for improving upon Wurm's Endgame material. However, 5 or 6 years down the road, it has been completely and utterly ruined. The players themselves made suggestions that ultimately lead to the depopulation of their own cluster, and then vacated it. How is this the people on Chaos' fault?

To me, your argument sounds as if based entirely within bias. You want the PvP to only happen on your Epic cluster, and the fact that PvP is being made better elsewhere is enraging to you. I find this pretty laughable, especially when you claim to know what "the good of many" is when, not only do you have an opposing viewpoint from the majority but you yourself are just one single person...?

This post is dripping with bias.

I said it was experiment and to level the playing field, but it was FOR EPIC.

How you think Chaos is a better map at this point in time than anywhere on epic is amazing to me, chaos has suffered from years of terraforming, volcanoes, and pre built infrastructure. If anything it is comparable to epic. You are speaking from nostalgia.

Again, you will never have a comparable account to those on chaos, 2-3 years is a long time of "waiting" and experience with the game? We are talking about new people. You are being disingenuous to start bolstering Chaos with players that you can kill easily.

The people playing on chaos are the people who came from epic you dunce, almost the entirety of Chaos is now epic players, freedomers who are barely hanging on, or people who log in once a month who have been playing for 10 years.

I don't really care about your last point, it is just an attempt at personal insult.

Edited by FranktheTank

31 minutes ago, Trake said:

Bdew tried crunching some numbers to find some data proof behind this idea; I still don't see Wurm Unlimited being a bad business decision. 

There doesn't seem to be any correlating data to suggest you lost PvPers to WU. Most of the people on WU are people who HATE subscriptions and Pay2WinPVP, OR want to do their own side projects.

Many of those players still have deeds on WO while they play WU. 

If anything WU was an exceptional business decision because look at all the patches and code updates this game has received from volunteer pro-bono devs making mods.

Most of those mods have made their way into being direct-added to WO.

And if it weren't for WU, CCAB probably never would have found Sindusk as a PvP-developer. 

Stop pooping on WU just because no one wants to come to Chaos and lose money and time to legacy players. 

I am not blaming WU for killing epic at all. WU is working to kill Wurm entirely. 

Imagine if you will you wanting to watch an exclusive Netflix movie, you cannot find this movie anywhere else (like wurm being unique). Now Netflix says, "listen pay us 15 dollars a month and you can watch this and any other new content we put out". Well if you want to watch that movie you might as well pay, and hey you get new content over time that's great!

Now imagine Netflix puts out a new service Netflix FreeTime. For the small fee of $2 Dollars (roughly the cost of WU keys) this service will offer all the content Netflix does, but with a few days delay, maybe 5 or so. You do not pay anything, there are no ads, its the same as Netflix. Now you are a new customer, you have not payed for Netflix before, would you still pay monthly at a higher cost? Or would you pay a small fee, and wait a few days for the content?

4 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

This post is dripping with bias, I said it was experiment and to level the playing field, but it was FOR EPIC.

How you think Chaos is a better map at this point in time than anywhere on epic is amazing to me, chaos has suffered from years of terraforming, volcanoes, and pre built infrastructure. If anything it is comparable to epic. You are speaking from nostalgia.

Again, you will never have a comparable account to those on chaos, 2-3 years is a long time of "waiting" and experience with the game? We are talking about new people. You are being disingenuous to start bolstering Chaos with players that you can kill easily.

The people playing on chaos are the people who came from epic you dunce, almost the entirety of Chaos is now epic players, freedomers who are barely hanging on, or people who log in once a month who have been playing for 10 years.

I don't really care about your last point, it is just an attempt at personal insult.

The fact that you would think code added to the game is exclusive to your server, is the definition of bias.

Maybe the terrain isn't better than Epic? Never played there so I really couldn't tell you. But we do have population. Which Epic servers currently lack. So at just that alone I think it's safe to say that yes, atm, Chaos is doing much better than Epic.

Uhm... never? What's 2 or 3 years of work in this game? In Wurm-time comparisons 2 or 3 years is actually relatively short when it comes to obtaining a godlike PvP-character that can faceroll most people while blind. Easily achievable in that time frame. I've even done it myself. Stop trying to discredit those who actually put effort into the game by making these statements. Wurm was never a game where you can just jump in on your first day and outmatch 90% of your opponents. This sort of instant-gratification type attitude has never been catered to in Wurm and I really hope that it never will be. If you want instant gratification go play something like Clash of Clans or Fortnite.

Of course they are. Why do you think they pushed so hard for the EPIC ARMOR CODE change, when no one who hadn't played on Epic would even be familiar with the way it worked? Captain obvious much?

Why don't you, instead of trying to split Wurm's already-dwindling population up even further, attempt to move over with your epic buddies and consolidate your efforts to accomplish something useful, instead of griping on the forums about how the Devs are letting your already-dead server die.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, whereami said:

The fact that you would think code added to the game is exclusive to your server, is the definition of bias.

Maybe the terrain isn't better than Epic? Never played there so I really couldn't tell you. But we do have population. Which Epic servers currently lack. So at just that alone I think it's safe to say that yes, atm, Chaos is doing much better than Epic.

Uhm... never? What's 2 or 3 years of work in this game? In Wurm-time comparisons 2 or 3 years is actually relatively short when it comes to obtaining a godlike PvP-character that can faceroll most people while blind. Easily achievable in that time frame. I've even done it myself. Stop trying to discredit those who actually put effort into the game by making these statements. Wurm was never a game where you can just jump in on your first day and outmatch 90% of your opponents. This sort of instant-gratification type attitude has never been catered to in Wurm and I really hope that it never will be. If you want instant gratification go play something like Clash of Clans or Fortnite.

Of course they are. Why do you think they pushed so hard for the EPIC ARMOR CODE change, when no one who hadn't played on Epic would even be familiar with the way it worked? Captain obvious much?

Why don't you, instead of trying to split Wurm's already-dwindling population up even further, attempt to move over with your epic buddies and consolidate your efforts to accomplish something useful, instead of griping on the forums about how the Devs are letting your already-dead server die.

1. Yeah that is kinda why the clusters were separated in the first place, unique code and mechanics. 

2. You do have the population, that's kinda the whole point of the argument huh?

3. If you really think investing 2-3 years to become pvp viable is an option you been having too much sauce, boss. No one wants instant gratification, but even after 2-3 years the account won't be comparable. It just won't.

4. Epic code iirc was implemented after shift to chaos, point invalid.

5. I want a clear answer on Epic's fate, not continued "solutions" that have been robbing epic of its features for years. Otherwise they are doing what I suggested they do, stringing playerbases along with promised updates to keep them paying.

Edited by FranktheTank

10 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

5. I want a clear answer on Epic's fate, not continued "solutions" that have been robbing epic of its features for years. Otherwise they are doing what I suggested they do, stringing playerbases along with promised updates to keep them paying.

I think we can sum up all of your issues with the above quote. 

It looks like you just want a clear answer on the fate of Epic and how the Dev's are going to handle your time/investments. 

Sorry about your Epic stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Trake said:

I think we can sum up all of your issues with the above quote. 

It looks like you just want a clear answer on the fate of Epic and how the Dev's are going to handle your time/investments. 

Sorry about your Epic stuff. 

I actually do not play on Epic, not actively anyway. We have a deed there but I haven't been in a while.

Edited by FranktheTank