Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 14/AUG/18

7 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

The devil is in the extreme details.

RSKQzk3.png

While you're not getting hit as often with studded due to high glance rates, you're actually taking the equivalent of wearing plate when you do get hit. When you're damaged in drake, you're actually taking 82.3% of the damage you would from studded. This concept applies across the board for dragonscale with the exception of crushing.

It's really great that people are spending time thinking about the new possibilities, and I can't imagine it's going to be well understood overnight. The armour system is a complex beast that I've spent countless hours analyzing. All of the numbers that you see here are also assuming identical quality at 100QL. This is unrealistic, and taking into consideration the resources and skills required to improve certain items (moon metal especially), it's not quite as cut and dry as it's made out to be. It'll be a while before the meta truly settles down and people figure out the optimal strategies again. When that happens, we can make further tweaks to spice things up and solve any issues that arise.

You still went to fix a system, which wasn't broken to begin with. WO is a bit different than WU, where you pile as many mods on server as you can.

First thing, formulate a problem, then try to find out what causes the problem.. after that find a way to fix it. 

What was the problem with old armor system? It was diverse, you had to make decisions, you gained one thing(protection) at the expense of other(mobility). IMO that makes sense, if you want to be a tank, you weigh more. Damage reduction was different based on damage type on armors since 2016. It was completely ignored, shows how important that change was. One argument has been the "meta", that drake and scale have been required. Yes, everyone wants drake/scale, but it is not required. There is a huge difference between "I want to have" and "I need to have". In Wurm PvE scale/drake fall into "I want to have" category, as there is NOTHING, from which you are excluded in PvE, when you don't own drake/scale.

In PvP, I won't comment on that.

1 hour ago, Hailene said:

I'm not really seeing the point of scale on pve anymore.  You're probably better off with studded and almost definitely better off with drake. The only really dangerous things on pve you'd meet regularly are trolls, and the gap between hide and scale is almost criminal. You take only 57% of the damage that a scale user would. In other words, crush damage that would have killed a scale user would leave a hide user at ~40% health. That's a big gap.

Trolls also bite, but hide slightly edges out scale there, too.

I guess now with armor changes that are happening, soon we could implement valrei creatures to PvE in some manner to take place. People would get more reasons to train fighting skills and they would get more challenge, but of course those shouldnt be common sight.

Cant wait to see newcomers beaten to death by nogumps :D

Edited by Themystrix
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Themystrix said:

I guess now with armor changes that are happening, soon we could implement valrei creatures to PvE in some manner to take place. People would get more reasons to train fighting skills and they would get more challenge, but of course those shouldnt be common sight.

Yes, please.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Themystrix said:

+1 to nogumps

On 8/14/2018 at 9:13 AM, FranktheTank said:

Why would anyone play on epic now?

I've been asking myself that question for several hours now.  My Temple to Libila is finished, so my OCD is satisfied. The Devs have been doing  a good job of fixing things, the armor expansion to Freedom is understandable, but no transfer of new skills to Freedom, no transfer of items to Freedom, no discussion of the future of Epic other than as testing ground, why would/should a new player come play on Epic? So why stay and play? Hmmm, no good answer comes to mind. Maybe time to open my eyes and rejoin Real Life.

At the moment the focus is several big projects that will help both epic and freedom, namely:

Priests and spells

UI

Meditation

We know there's things epic needs as well, and there have been discussion about it, but those three will be coming before any major changes to epic because they affect the entire game, and will help both sides 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sindusk said:

While you're not getting hit as often with studded due to high glance rates, you're actually taking the equivalent of wearing plate when you do get hit. When you're damaged in drake, you're actually taking 82.3% of the damage you would from studded. This concept applies across the board for dragonscale with the exception of crushing. 

I'm not quite following you. Yes, the actual damage you take when you get hit is equivalence...but you're forgetting the whole glancing part. The effective damage per a hit is going to be much lower.

In the long run a person wearing studded is going to be at 50% health when a plate user is dead from crush damage.

The whole point of glance is that you take zero damage, regardless of the DR.

The only benefit is that the scale user will have a smoother damage curve, but that's sort of a crappy consolation prize.

19 hours ago, Sindusk said:

All of the numbers that you see here are also assuming identical quality at 100QL. This is unrealistic, and taking into consideration the resources and skills required to improve certain items (moon metal especially), it's not quite as cut and dry as it's made out to be.

A bit moot in my question since drake, studded, and scale all use the same material to imp with--leather.

20 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

There never was a point for scale on pve lol, you could already kill a champ troll in studded if you had 70 wep and shield skills. Fashion statement.

It's one thing if it's overkill. That's fine. I don't mind paying for bling. But it seems a bit backwards for something to be much harder to get and basically flat out worse. That's just insulting.

22 hours ago, Grumpysmith said:

I've been asking myself that question for several hours now.  My Temple to Libila is finished, so my OCD is satisfied. The Devs have been doing  a good job of fixing things, the armor expansion to Freedom is understandable, but no transfer of new skills to Freedom, no transfer of items to Freedom, no discussion of the future of Epic other than as testing ground, why would/should a new player come play on Epic? So why stay and play? Hmmm, no good answer comes to mind. Maybe time to open my eyes and rejoin Real Life.

22 hours ago, Retrograde said:

At the moment the focus is several big projects that will help both epic and freedom, namely:

Priests and spells

UI

Meditation

We know there's things epic needs as well, and there have been discussion about it, but those three will be coming before any major changes to epic because they affect the entire game, and will help both sides 

Meditation ???? Really ? On Epic.... Everyones got everything in meditation on every character since the skill gain was ruined on it so it's pretty balanced when EVERYONE has EVERYTHING. This was mostly the same before the new skill system! PoL needs some love ironically but isn't really important.

UI / Spells - sure thing.

What Epic needs is not only a reason for people to play there but actual NEW players. Give epic the freedom skill system and leave the curve(which still helps new players) and let EVERY SERVER have open skill transferring. 

Allow rift items to work so farming them would make some sort of since. There needs to be a REASON to be logged in, to play the game, in general. Without people there isn't PvP so embracing a little PvE on Epic would atleast get some more bodies in the door alongside fixing the transfer issues.

And then ….. Market the game! Appeal to a broader audience. If you guys focused as much on this as you did these changes then I'm sure you could brainstorm some insanity to get this moving. This game deserves much more. It's a wonderful game that simply needs some more bodies!

This current state of the transfer is pure discrimination!!!!!!!!!

On 8/14/2018 at 11:29 PM, Delacroix said:

All I'm hearing is "muh monopoly!1!"

How do you work that out? Follow my suggestion thread before replying.

"DISBAND HOTA"

Sheep.

I read yours tho, "allow us to paint weapons" so basically you're just reaching to make everything requiring MM either void or easy to obtain and not require any work. Do a rift kid.
You're literally just asking for a influx of MM and repeat the issue with drake/scale.
Take the advice from the guy from Epic who saw influx of MM hit the server, it's bad. 

Edited by Mclavin

41 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Take the advice from the guy from Epic who saw influx of MM hit the server, it's bad. 

^ Yeah, he is not wrong on this

Sign in to follow this