Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

How to keep a cave ceiling flat?

Hey, all.  I'm trying to smoothen out a canal ceiling that is still under construction.  I stand under a flat ceiling tile (it says "flat" on it), I then click an adjacent ceiling tile, and click the "level" button.  This should bring the adjacent tile to the same level as the flat tile I am under and make it flat too.

It starts to chip away at the adjacent tile, but after a couple of chips suddenly the tile I am standing under stops being flat.  I then have to move backward to a previous flat ceiling tile and try to level the tile that used to be flat.

It starts to chip away at that tile when suddenly it happens again... the tile I am under stops being flat.  I then have to backup to the previous flat tile behind me.  Instead of moving forward and flattening as I go, I am moving backward because the tiles that were flat suddenly become unflat.

How can I keep the previous flat tiles from going unflat?  If I reinforce a flat ceiling tile, will that prevent it from unflattening?

Barring any other suggestions, the only thing I can think of to get a perfectly smooth and flat ceiling that is consistent all the way through is to flatten the floor down the centerline from one end of the canal to the other, maybe some 4 or 5 dirts above sea level.  Then, I just stand on that centerline and mine the ceiling to the max height, which is 31 above where we are standing.  This way, because the floor I'm standing on is the same level all the way through, so too will the ceiling be the same level all the way through, at 31 above the floor.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

I reported a bug about this recently. "Level" probably isn't supposed to do that.

It only happens on some tiles really, so yes must be a bug.

In my experience the bug happens when a corner hits surface or one corner is higher than leveled ceiling then it decides to continue on other corners and make everything uneven.

3 hours ago, Sandyar said:

In my experience the bug happens when a corner hits surface or one corner is higher than leveled ceiling then it decides to continue on other corners and make everything uneven.

I got this bug way below surface.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I observed a couple more details about it.  When standing under a flat ceiling tile and leveling an adjacent ceiling tile, I keep my mouse on the adjacent tile to see how the blue outline changes.  After a few strikes with the pickaxe, one of the far corners of the adjacent tile moves up a notch, so it takes a bite out of one of the farther corners first.

Then after a few more strikes, one of the near corners of the adjacent tile (which is also one of the corners of the flat tile I am standing under) also moves up a notch, so it takes a bite out of a near corner second.  And that is what causes the flat tile I am standing under to become unflat.

I'm going to copy this to the "bug" section.

Edited by Enlightened_One

1 hour ago, Enlightened_One said:

I'm going to copy this to the "bug" section.

I don't see this as being a bug. What is happening is that the next tile you are trying to level has some corners that are higher than the flat one you are leveling from. So to continue you would need to go onto the next tile and make that one flat first but if making that one flat results in leaving one tile side higher on the previous tile then you would have to go back to that tile and repeat the same process all over again. Yeah, this back and forth flatten/level process is irritating but once they are both flat and level in relation to each other then you can continue on to the next tile in the line. Of course if that one has higher corners you will be in the same predicament once again.

Another solution to try is to mine one of the higher tiles flat and then mine up each corner 2-3 hits which will make that a flat tile that much higher than the ones on each side of it. Then you can continue to level them all down the line from then on unless you hit some random tile with a higher corner again. So to not mess up a longer level run of flat level tiles you could skip that random one leaving it alone and start to again make a flat run from the next tile over and continue onward. Think of it in terms of leveling a mine floor without using concrete where some corners are too low so if you don't want to use concrete you would need to start to make a new lower floor flat and level to continue onwards from that lower tile. The cave ceiling is just a flip of this situation which is not so noticeable since it is up that much higher visually.

Also to note is that you can't reinforce mine ceilings nor use concrete on them to level with in these situations. Most mine ceilings are subject to this situation because of the random un-leveling actions simultaneously of the floor and ceiling which previously were unavoidable until the mining update some months back when mining skill would reduce this probability by percentages. Thankfully for 90+ miners when they now mine out new tiles both the floor and ceiling will always be flat. Of course this does little to resolve the problem of attempting to flatten and level mine ceilings that were created before this change.

=Ayes=

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

I don't see this as being a bug. What is happening is that the next tile you are trying to level has some corners that are higher than the flat one you are leveling from. So to continue you would need to go onto the next tile and make that one flat first but if making that one flat results in leaving one tile side higher on the previous tile then you would have to go back to that tile and repeat the same process all over again. Yeah, this back and forth flatten/level process is irritating but once they are both flat and level in relation to each other then you can continue on to the next tile in the line. Of course if that one has higher corners you will be in the same predicament once again.

I disagree, I expect it to work like leveling dirt so it stop level when all corners are same level as the reference, not changing the already flat. Flatten you would expect to destroy neighbor tiles but not level.

12 hours ago, Sandyar said:

I disagree, I expect it to work like leveling dirt so it stop level when all corners are same level as the reference, not changing the already flat. Flatten you would expect to destroy neighbor tiles but not level.

....It does right now if you have concrete in inventory it won't "Mine" it'll lower to level

What you all keep calling a bug is actually a feature that you are not using correctly

Edited by Deth666

Great explanation, Ayes, I can really see that.  What I'm thinking is that if the adjacent tile is higher than the one we are standing under, the levelling function should simply stall and quit (when we don't have concrete in our inventory) without messing-up the flatness of the tile we are standing under, similar to when leveling a lower dirt tile simply stalls and quits (when we don't have dirt in our inventory) without messing-up the flat tile we are standing on.

It's not really a bug, then, but it does bug us.  At first we think it's doing what we want it to do, when all of a sudden... presto... the tile we are under is not flat anymore.  Levelling isn't supposed to alter the tile we are under (in the case of the ceiling) or on (in the case of dirt).  A message and an auto-abort like with dirt would be better, I think.

Edited by Enlightened_One
  • Like 1