Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

[Fixed] Hitched, cared-for bison vanishing on server restart

Logged in today to find one of my hitched, cared-for bison gone, with no corpse. This is the third time that's happened, every time it's been after a server restart, and sure enough, /uptime showed a recent restart.

One other oddity is that the bison still shows as hitched when I unhitch the team (four bison go unhitched, although only three are there).

Can you use the animal management screen to try locating the bison, and see what it says?

two  options; embark on the wagon and move it a bit the bison should reappear still hitched (my experience is that it's kinda underground, more apparent with horses in this case) other option is since you've unhitched them already, relog for /lotime and the bison should be in the pen (assuming you were in a fenced in area when you unhitched)

*edit* you mentioned cared for; check your animal management to see if it still shows on that list.

Edited by Lisabet

I haven't checked this time yet, but the last time the bison was off my cared-for list, and never showed up again.

Was the missing bison tamed for any reason, like maybe practicing Animal Taming? Sometimes pets set to "go offline" when you log out, never come back again so its best to make them "Stay Online".

No, it wasn't tamed (or diseased, at least according to the unhitch message, and I use Humid Drizzle daily, so that's usually not an issue).

5 hours ago, SmeJack said:

There's no animal management on pvp servers

Thanks, I never knew that ^_^

Has he tried the chat command  /caringfor   (lesser known command, at least for some, it lists all cared animals without using animal management panel . Won't help track them if it somehow unhitched and ran off but at least lists those that 'exist' and have not been killed)

>>"(four bison go unhitched, although only three are there)""

Sounds like it somehow went invisible, which sounds like the 'sunk into the ground" issue that Lisabet mentions. If so, a GM ought to be able to "surface" it. I often have the bisons hitched to my wagon all sink below the surface; if you haven't unhitched them yet, simply driving the wagon as Lizabet suggests always fixes it.  But it sounds like you immediately unhitched to try to figure out where it went...

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

>>"(four bison go unhitched, although only three are there)""

Sounds like it somehow went invisible, which sounds like the 'sunk into the ground" issue that Lisabet mentions. If so, a GM ought to be able to "surface" it. I often have the bisons hitched to my wagon all sink below the surface; if you haven't unhitched them yet, simply driving the wagon as Lizabet suggests always fixes it.  But it sounds like you immediately unhitched to try to figure out where it went...

No, I drove it first (did a cave transition too).

going in and out of caves cause them to vanish, they are still there, but if become unhitched for whatever reason they will end up below/above ground depending where the cart was parked, annoying for sure

8 hours ago, Roccandil said:

ost another one, same way

This sounds bad bad bad. But it never happened to me *knocks on wood-ish* yet. I have had hitched animals disappear. As mentioned above, I embark as commander, move a bit, and all re appear. I have had vehicles disappear on me too. Mostly boats here, but also we had a rare guard tower was not there, should have been. One time I could not see my friend, who was standing right in front of me. Relog for lotime fixed all of these.

It really seems that if you look at your animal management screen you can find these missing bison. I don't see it mentioned here except by SmeJack about generally there is no animal management screen on pvp servers. I am a huge fan of branding all important/useful animals.

Are you on pvp server? Maybe something pvp-ish is happening. Dang this sounds harsh, I hope you get it all sorted out.

Every time this has happened, my wagon has been in a cave during a server restart. I did a support ticket this time, and the GMs saw that the bison ID was still hitched to my wagon, but the bison no longer existed on the server. (And they kindly replaced my bison; thanks, guys!)

So, if this happens, I recommend -not- unhitching the wagon until GMs can examine it and prove it.

The devs are looking into this particular instance and may know the reason.  Thanks for your report and your latest support and to the GM who took the info.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, Roccandil said:

Logged in today to find one of my hitched, cared-for bison gone, with no corpse. This is the third time that's happened, every time it's been after a server restart, and sure enough, /uptime showed a recent restart.

One other oddity is that the bison still shows as hitched when I unhitch the team (four bison go unhitched, although only three are there).

Possibly unrelated, but I have recently been having for a month or so now an issue on WU where I will be leading four horses, one might suddenly go invisible on me. If it somehow gets disconnected from me (ie snagged on building) , I have lost it because it stays invisible till the next server restart. If I am able to hitch it to something,  it will stay there (still invisible) till next server restart, but i cannot unhitch it again without risking losing control of an invisible animal. I cannot lead it again once it is invisible, although I can mount and ride it if I am already leading (turns visible but I need to dismount inside a fenced area or I risk losing it). I always make sure I hitch/unhitch inside of a closed fenced area now, and keep a close headcount on lead animals. This has probably now happened to me 6-8 times across as many weeks, so I am getting more adept at just dealing with it.  

I had assumed this was an issue only with the heavily modded WU server I play on, and possibly aggravated by the fact I keep a LOT of animals, however I am most likely to "lose" the animal to invisibility while it is off deed and being lead while a distance from the deed, so I don't think it is related to number of animals on deed.  I cannot replicate it on demand although it does seem to happen more often when I cross certain offdeed tiles, but will not happen automatically or by trying to make it occur.

One time i called a GM (wu server) when I snagged the invisible horse inside of a building, the GM was not able to "see" the horse or get control of it  but could tell it was right in that area, was not able to make it turn visible again. They spent close to an hour trying to find if it somehow went down into the mines under the area. But, it does not always happen in an area with mines. The GM finally gave up looking for it, and the next restart, it was standing inside the house.

It sounds extremely similar to what you report, where the bison acts as still hitched but you cannot see it (and if you unhitched in a non fenced area, you've probably lost it for good as it does not go visible again till server restart).

** ps: differences, besides WO vs WU, is that I am never in a cave when it happens and it does not happen right at a server restart, although a server restart is the only fix for it)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors