Sign in to follow this  
masterqgj

Wurm Online using an Intel HD 530 integrated graphics chip?

Hello,

is there any known way to get Wurm Online up n running using the integrated chip "Intel HD 530" graphics from a I7 6700 CPU? It's not essential, but i would like to get the game running on my dedicated server, which has no "real" grahpics-card. I would like to use it, to work a bit from my workplace (using an RDP-Connection), without having security issues or so on my workplace. But every time i start wurm, it tells me:

"Could not create window with selected width and height. The error was: <Pixel format not accelerated>"

I already installed the lastet intel drivers, but it didnt help. Neither did legacy or modern graphics help, or changing the options to the lowest value possible :(.

Edited by masterqgj

That indicates the driver you are using is not OpenGL friendly and is probably the Microsoft version, which usually does fine with DirectX but not so well with OpenGL.

Download a new graphics driver direct from the intel driver site, NOT using Windows Update:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Probably this driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88345/Intel-HD-Graphics-530

Yes it should run, there may be a few needed tweaks in settings, but "Pixel Format not Accelerated" is 99.999 of the time a driver issue for a driver that cannot handle necessary OpenGL features, most often caused by the generic "Windows" version of the driver. I CAN tell you other people using the Intel HD 530 are able to run wurm with it. You may need to use the Legacy client as I understand there are a few minor issues with the "Modern" rendering client, but the error you are crashing on indicates a driver version issue.

PS: if it is a workplace computer, it is possible you are not allowed to select the driver?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Hi Brash,

at first i want to thank for your reply! Very much appreciated.

I found an older thread (here in the boards) stating, that the "drivers might be to old", and it actually _was_ the microsoft driver in the first place --> before i updated it. Now it is the "Intel(R) HD Graphics 530" (Intel Coropration, Date 15.11.2017, Version 21.20.16.4860). I downloaded the driver from Intel and i even tried using the Intel Autoupdate feature, and it stated "no newer driver found". I had to reboot the server too (which was kinda bad, since i have about 6 dedicated servers running on it...and had to find a time window to reboot :))

Since it is _my_ dedicated server i have full admin rights in all cases, so yes, i am allowed to select the drivers :). It is just that i connect to _my_ server via RDP ("remote desktop") from my workplace PC.

Oh - i should mention that i use Windows Server 2012 R2 on the server. It might make a difference in the driver versions that are available.

Edited by masterqgj

Windows Server 2012 R2 

may be the issue. Not sure if this link has anything useful:

https://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/200634-Install-OpenGL-V2-0-or-higher

>However, you are also running a server OS - Windows Server 2012 R2 - so you may or may not need to also install the Desktop Experience feature (I suggest trying without first), and you should ensure that you source the correct driver for this OS.
>Finally, if accessing a server over remote desktop, you need to be aware that OpenGL will not work.

is this  (using an RDP-Connection) the same as remote desktop?  (edit: YES).

Sounds like you might be out of luck. :(

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Oh darn. Yes Brash, it actually is the same. RDP stands for "Remote Dektop Protokoll". So yes, that will be the issue. That's sad :(

Thank you Brash, for your efforts. Very kind. I guess this thread might be locked then (or what ever happens with finished threads).

Edited by masterqgj