Sign in to follow this  
Allurapre

[Resolved] Cannot determine a valid Java Home

Each time I want to play Wurm Online I have to re-download  it because if I hit the shortcut created on the desktop I get the message "Cannot determine a valid Java Home". I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Java and Wurm multiple times. I also followed instructions on creating the environmental variables which did nothing.

Also of note is that once I hit the launcher for WO or WU it takes at least 2 full minutes to load the character select screen. While launching the resource monitor shows that the wurm launcher is using 100% of all 4 cores. 

Pc is a Dell 

Processor: AMD A10-9700 Radeon R7, 0 Compute Cores 4c +6G 3.50 GHz

16 gb of ram

64 bit OS Win 10

Graphic card is: AMD Radeon RX 560

All drivers are up to date per respective creator/maker not via windows update, though windows is up to date

Also of note is that minecraft works with no issues.

9 hours ago, Allurapre said:

Also of note is that once I hit the launcher for WO or WU it takes at least 2 full minutes to load the character select screen.

I don't know the answer to the Java issue, "Cannot determine a valid Java Home"

It's possible that you changed a system variable elsewhere without realizing it, but others here are better on java issues than me.

Do see these threads in case any help:

It may simply mean you needed to reboot after changing the JAVA location through updating, in order for windows to update the new JAVA HOME location 

However, i just recently responded to your WU tech issue on delays for loading character screen, which may or may not be relevant here, so check back on that thread also (I know you were waiting for several days without any responses)

If you could check the file size of keybindings.txt in both WO and WU, it would help rule this out as the cause of the lag in loading up the character screen (regardless of having reinstalled steam and/or wurm multiuple times).  The locations for those files are:

• \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs
  • \Wurm\configs

(check both DEFAULT and EDITED subfolders, depending on your windows settings it may not say ".txt"  at the end)  

I have run into issues in other games tech forums where people reported windows was keeping backups of old settings despite a reinstall, and reapplying those settings, so we need to check even though you said you reinstalled both WO & WU.  Its possible this could also explain the JAVA HOME isswue, I do not know.

if the filesize for keybindings.txt in either location is more than 2-7 kilobytes, report back with the filesize here.

Next time it asks to to redownload, try also installing Wurm Online to a folder such as C:\Games\Wurm  or D:\Wurm  and NOT something like: Users, Desktop, Program Files, Downloads

REBOOT FIRST AS PER ORACLE THREAD to make sure Java variables were updated.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

10 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I don't know the answer to the Java issue, "Cannot determine a valid Java Home"

It's possible that you changed a system variable elsewhere without realizing it, but others here are better on java issues than me.

Do see these threads in case any help:

It may simply mean you needed to reboot after changing the JAVA location through updating, in order for windows to update the new JAVA HOME location 

I actually did read both the post here but none addressed the problem. I also followed this video: 

Everything was the same as the video, meaning Java was verified in the cmd prompt but I still get the "Cannot determine a valid Java Home message."

I have no idea what really causes it, I tried to boot up my daughters machine to run a few wurm sermon clients, and I hit the same block. Cannot determine a valid java home. 

So how i eventually bypassed it there. is that instead of launching the game from the Desptop shortcut the installer makes. I launched the game from the downloaded wurmclient.jnlp file that you get from hitting Play on the main site.

It worked like a charm.

Now that I am back on my PC I see that the Target (if you click properties on the desktop shortcut)

E:\Program Files\Java 80161\bin\javaws.exe" -localfile -J-Djnl........etc.............

on the other computer it linked to something like Programdata\Oracle\Java\jawaws. not to the Java install folder. If that is related I have no idea. I am no tech wizard :)

But just launching the game from the wurmclient.jnlp file worked fine.

thanks for trying to help, but i have done that too, nothing happens at all. but thanks again for trying

Brash, I just followed that video, for as much as i could, there was no Jre, as he had on his computer, so I did the other steps that were available, .. no change. .. sad, I am going to have to leave Wurm after all this time

i have done that with Java more tims than i can count today.. how do i .. exe launcher?

Edited by notstupidbobb

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOODNESSSSSS  YOU ARE THE AWESOME SAUCE    OBLIVION!!!!!!!!!!  THATS ALL IT TOOK .. MY HERO, THE BEST EVER, THANK YOU 

• Like 1

BTW it worked i am in the game... i do not have to quit wurm

... i can cut down trees and dig dirts.. thank you OBLIVION

Edited by notstupidbobb
  • Like 1

What made the installer so hard for you to find when you wanted to run/install the game? (could help the devs to make it easier to locate for others)