Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Leveling cave ceiling raised height of tile overhead

I was leveling a mine ceiling, following the usual procedure: Standing under a flat ceiling and leveling the ceiling adjacent to me.

Somehow, this resulted in mining the flat ceiling tile I was under. Obviously, this shouldn't happen, since the point of leveling is to alter the adjacent tile to match your current tile, not the other way around! Of course, once this happened, the level action was aborted, since I was no longer standing under a flat mine tile.

I'm not exactly sure why this happened. It's possible one or two corners of the ceiling adjacent to me were already higher than the one under which I was standing, but it's hard to say since there are no perfect indicators of height in a mine, and I'm hesitant to test this very thoroughly since mistakes in ceiling adjustment are costly to correct.

• Like 1

Doing a big mine project and I've had the same thing happen many times. I've come to never level ceilings unless its to max height, if I need anything less than max I just count mining actions, which is not fun and easy to make mistakes.

• Like 1

This is still a bug. It is very annoying. It is more than annoying when the ceiling is at or above the max flatten distance and can't be fixed.

BTW, this isn't a call for be able to level the adjacent tile with concrete or something, just that level doesn't break the currently flat tile.

Edited by Kelody
  • Like 1

[03:50:33] You start to level the ceiling. [03:50:40] You mine some rock shards. [03:50:40] You need to be standing under a flat ceiling to be able to level an adjacent tile.

I just had it happen again. I wonder if is because the ground above it too low, so it can't raise a corner more. But if that is the case, it's buggy that instead of failing with a message saying that, it continues to chip one rock from the wrong corner, breaking the flat.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:24 AM, Anarres said:

I wonder if is because the ground above it too low, so it can't raise a corner more.

It's not. Had it happening with a 100+ rock layer above.

To be clear, this is happening in cases when the formerly-flat ceiling you're under is at max height. Apparently one of its corners becomes "higher with 1" than your max height.

• Like 1

Working on a canal. I had this happen. The only time it has happened to me so far on this project is when The tile I am trying to level has a higher corner then the one I am standing under.

What I expect to happen is that I would get a error that the tile could not be leveled because it has a corner that is to high.

what does happen instead is it chips a slope off the tile you are standing under. Making my flat ceiling no longer flat. And causing much wailing and gnashing of teeth and nails.

Giving this a bump to be noticed, hopefully for a QoL fix.

When you are standing under a flat ceiling tile, leveling a tile adjacent to it.  If the tile you are leveling has a corner higher then the tile you are standing under. Instead of stopping the leveling with a statement about one corner being to high. It instead makes the tile you are standing on no longer flat, which stops the leveling action.

What I expected was, a error message saying you can not level this tile, one corner is to high.
What I get, The flat tile I am standing under gets messed up. with no easy way to fix it.

Other reports:
https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/173300-leveling-ceiling-bug/

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/147678-levelling-cave-ceiling/

19 hours ago, Ohana said:

Instead of stopping the leveling with a statement about one corner being to high. It instead makes the tile you are standing on no longer flat

Yep. This happened to me recently. I did not know there was a trouble call on it already. Very annoying. And if u keep leveling ceiling tiles in that area, it will mess up all ur ceiling tiles, lol.

One nice fix would be.. being able to concrete to lower ceiling tiles 😉