Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Simple/QoL suggestions compilation

There are a lot of relatively simple* suggestions and minor QoL requests in the forums, many of them non-controversial, but they tend to sometimes get buried under more contentious or long-winded threads that require more discussion.

So, this thread is for compiling a list of those suggestions, with links back to their original thread.

Post anything you feel fits in a reply, and if it seems like something that fits the bill, I'll add it to this post. I'm sure I'm missing plenty.

Note: I'm looking for things that are fairly simple and non-controversial. There are many suggestions I've made, or agree with, or find important, but that I'm not including because they aren't the kind of simple and agreed-upon changes I'm compiling here.

*Due to the nature of software development, it's sometimes hard to know what would or wouldn't be "simple" to implement. Sometimes a feature/change seems simple, but would actually be extremely difficult or require a lot of tedious effort. For this and other reasons, something being included in this post is absolutely not a guarantee that it will be implemented, or easy to do. This is only to serve as a convenient place to archive certain types of popular suggestions.

Unique names on blood: (IMPLEMENTED)

"Plant" keybind functionality for planters on racks:

Indication when able to Focus in combat:

Viewable branded creature count on deed:

Changing dairy-based food (ice cream in particular) to use Dairy Food Making skill:

Allow harvest action time to be affected by sickle/bucket QL/WoA:

Storage of fat and bladders in food storage bins:

Removing Magranon/no domain restriction for Erupt/Freeze:

Planting flowers on grass: (IMPLEMENTED)

Milk/groom/shear info on mouseover (tied to AH skill?):

Ability for herbivores (e.g. horses) to eat fruit, berries, & nuts:

Adjust difficulty of pruning so higher skill results in better success rate:

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 8

"Get info" in a submenu, like Enchant already got years ago, to avoid wasting it at the slightest lag or misclick.

• Like 4

With the understanding that the infamous corner-crossing issue on ships may be a deep/permanent one, maybe in place of trying to remedy the issue itself, the game could be made to display an event warning similar to that received when about to cross the server line. The event could maybe say something to the effect of the player being close to some ethereal bad area or something and to go further in one direction or another to avoid the corner-crossing monster. A simple warning could probably then save lots of QoL frustration for new players as well as seasoned veterans who just accidentally got too close to this unseen yet perilous zone.

I previously suggested it somewhere else before, but having some quick access to time/weather outside of the game would really help many folks as to determining when they would ideally like to play. It also adds a great feel to the concept of the living game world that takes place at all times. Perhaps something small on the launcher main screen and/or the website would work?

Anyway, thanks for listening to all the suggestions, especially in the area of QoL :)

• Like 1

Should be a keybind for every action, not just the select few then that would end the complaints about missing keybinds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Should be a keybind for every action, not just the select few then that would end the complaints about missing keybinds.

Biggest issue is the way the system works with keybinds, with right clicking creating the context of what's possible, the keybind sending the action ID, so this means any checks to see whether the action is possible are bypassed. Part of the new UX work will be not only making it easier to implement new keybinds, but improving the underlying mechanics for them so it functions better. 

6 hours ago, MordosKull said:

With the understanding that the infamous corner-crossing issue on ships may be a deep/permanent one, maybe in place of trying to remedy the issue itself, the game could be made to display an event warning similar to that received when about to cross the server line. The event could maybe say something to the effect of the player being close to some ethereal bad area or something and to go further in one direction or another to avoid the corner-crossing monster. A simple warning could probably then save lots of QoL frustration for new players as well as seasoned veterans who just accidentally got too close to this unseen yet perilous zone.

Sindusk has been putting work in on improving this, and several improvements have already gone out

• Like 2