Sign in to follow this  
Fablecrafter

Alternative to Dirt "Decaying"

I had an idea about piles of dirt, considering on Wurm, dirt is a semi-precious material (depending on who you ask), I think it'd make more sense if instead of dirt decaying away, it would instead drop to the ground once it hit 100 damage... It currently doesn't make sense for dirt to "rot", but if someone were to leave dirt sitting around in a pile for that long, it'd make sense for nature to retake it (returning it to the ground), it wouldn't be as perfect as in real life, but it'd be a bit more realistic, plus... If you're going to leave dirt sit somewhere long enough to decay away... It shouldn't matter if it returns to the ground.

Just now, Fablecrafter said:

I'd say if someone wants to remove the dirt entirely, they should use a trash heap personally, but I know many don't want to bother with that. It wouldn't be so bad if the trash heaps had a much larger capacity instead, granted still bothersome... Possibly have it as a deed option? Be able to "tick" if we want dirt to decay, or not decay while on deed? Could even possibly include an option for the player's personal settings for dirt they have dug/dropped to decay or return to the ground.

Edited by Fablecrafter
Edit to include quote of more of a suggestion
  • Like 3

What happens when you drop a pile of dirt inside a house?

3 hours ago, Wargasm said:

It wil stay as a pile of dirt?

+1 for non-decaying dirt couse there is nothing to decay in this kind of material, should be like gems

4 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Or the decaying mechanic can remain in effect inside buildings/caves.

+1 to OP

What if someone is terraforming a deed and they want the dirt gone without needing to collect it and store/trash/sell it?

6 hours ago, MrGARY said:

What if someone is terraforming a deed and they want the dirt gone without needing to collect it and store/trash/sell it?

I'd say if someone wants to remove the dirt entirely, they should use a trash heap personally, but I know many don't want to bother with that. It wouldn't be so bad if the trash heaps had a much larger capacity instead, granted still bothersome... Possibly have it as a deed option? Be able to "tick" if we want dirt to decay, or not decay while on deed? Could even possibly include an option for the player's personal settings for dirt they have dug/dropped to decay or return to the ground.

8 hours ago, MrGARY said:

...or just add the same discard option we already have on a bunch of things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odynn said:

...or just add the same discard option we already have on a bunch of things.

I think you forgot the part of where I said without needing to collect it and trash it

but discard definitely needs to be added to a lot more bulk resources

On 8/2/2018 at 7:01 PM, MrGARY said:

I think that's rather rare case. Most would collect to store/sell/use it.

Edited by Wilczan

for those that need a reason for my -1

stop being so lazy, dirt does not decay once its packed up into a bsb or crate and hauled back to deed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

stop being so lazy, dirt does not decay once its packed up into a bsb or crate and hauled back to deed

I see this as more of an immersion issue than laziness. (I have the same problem with dirtwalls, to be honest. No way they should be the most permanent structure in the game, if making them without retaining walls were even possible.)

• Like 1

Ah I see I was not paying attention to the original poster, so people who are lazy about picking it up, or simply didn't have the time to pick up dozens of piles of dirt after digging for hours on end, would then be faced with an area covered with dozens of dirt spikes because this is what this idea would lead too.

It is a unnecessary and more likely not needed or wanted by the majority of players.

-1 to magical 100 slope dirt spikes

Edited by JakeRivers

10 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Ah I see I was not paying attention to the original poster, so people who are lazy about picking it up, or simply didn't have the time to pick up dozens of piles of dirt after digging for hours on end, would then be faced with an area covered with dozens of dirt spikes because this is what this idea would lead too.

It is a unnecessary and more likely not needed or wanted by the majority of players.

-1 to magical 100 slope dirt spikes

Ideally, I could see it following the same dynamics as dropped dirt, i.e. flow downhill after 40 slope is reached. Yes, this would create mounds and lumps (not spikes), but that would be the natural result if someone dug up an area and abandoned the holes / piles of dirt. Imo, the present situation – dirt that just vanishes after a few days, weeks – is a lot more 'magical' that this solution would be.

Personally – and I'm fully aware this might not be popular with other players – I'd love to see this taken even further: have everything that decays drop dirt equivalent to its weight when the final decay tick pushes it over the edge, whether buildings, wagons, boats – whatever. While out wandering Xanadu, I've always been a little disappointed that there's no trace of ruined buildings once they're gone, only the earthwork. Imagine seeing vague, smoothed-over ridges marking the footprint of a long-gone castle. Next best thing to having actual persistent ruins in the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gwyn said:

Ideally, I could see it following the same dynamics as dropped dirt, i.e. flow downhill after 40 slope is reached. Yes, this would create mounds and lumps (not spikes), but that would be the natural result if someone dug up an area and abandoned the holes / piles of dirt. Imo, the present situation – dirt that just vanishes after a few days, weeks – is a lot more 'magical' that this solution would be.

Personally – and I'm fully aware this might not be popular with other players – I'd love to see this taken even further: have everything that decays drop dirt equivalent to its weight when the final decay tick pushes it over the edge, whether buildings, wagons, boats – whatever. While out wandering Xanadu, I've always been a little disappointed that there's no trace of ruined buildings once they're gone, only the earthwork. Imagine seeing vague, smoothed-over ridges marking the footprint of a long-gone castle. Next best thing to having actual persistent ruins in the game.

Would love if instead of the dirt idea, more like actual structure ruins (easy to bash if a player so wished to remove them), just to leave the traces of what once was... ontop of that... paved areas should have decay states for the same reasons imo (if they havent had player traffic in such and such months)

On 8/2/2018 at 7:29 AM, Wargasm said:

Crumbles to dust..  as it is doing currently

As for the outside of structures.. +1 to reshape the terrain.