Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Unannounced nerf to smelting pots

It looks like devs have punished normal players because of the imbue/moon metal exploiters. Smelting pots now not only lose 10% weight they also lose 10-20% quality. This was tested on items from 20 to 50ql, using 90ql smelting pots and a 90ql rare smelting pot.

• Like 1

This wasn't in our list of notes, shouldn't have gotten out! 

Will speak with the devs and work out the plans 

Just now, Retrograde said:

This wasn't in our list of notes, shouldn't have gotten out! 

Will speak with the devs and work out the plans 

patch notes are usually missing 10% of the patch =p

stealth patch ftw

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Who's handing out the pitchforks?

lol *grabs a pitchfork from a nearby pile w/ a sign labled "pile of acme pitchforks", brandishing it menacingly* .. are we protesting something?

I notice he didn't say it was a bug.  Just that it shouldn't have gotten out.  Now to see if it gets changed or if that is the way it will be.

8 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

lol *grabs a pitchfork from a nearby pile w/ a sign labled "pile of acme pitchforks", brandishing it menacingly* .. are we protesting something?

*holding sign that says "DEATH TO #WOGIC!!!" on it*
PROTES-- wait, crap. *scratches out #Wogic for "UNRELEASED 'FEATURES'"* There we go.

Edited by Benie

11 minutes ago, Benie said:

"DEATH TO #WOGIC!!!"

*Grabs sign that says "Death to signs that say "DEATH TO #WOGIC!!!" on them" .. oh wait...

*scratches out all that and paints in "nvm"*

Hey now, put the pitchforks away. There's no conspiracy here.

This was a change done in response to the smelting exploit immediately after the recent issue regarding the QL increase on creation. It was done prior to the July 10th Hotfix which reverted the change. The original idea was to counteract that QL increase with a QL penalty on smelting pots, which would essentially render the QL increase from imbues useless for exploitation at higher qualities. The code was done for it, but there was flaws in execution: it impacts players without imbues and who use smelting pots legitimately in a negative way.

Fast forward a bit, the problem has been resolved (the change was reverted), and we've done a bunch of work for the recent patch and that change was left unattended and basically forgotten for the July 26th patch. As of this post this is actually the first time we realize the mistake. We'll be reviewing the change and we'll update you when more information is available. In the meantime, sorry for the miscommunication.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

17 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Hey now, put the pitchforks away. There's no conspiracy here.

This was a change done in response to the smelting exploit immediately after the recent issue regarding the QL increase on creation. It was done prior to the July 10th Hotfix which reverted the change. The original idea was to counteract that QL increase with a QL penalty on smelting pots, which would essentially render the QL increase from imbues useless for exploitation at higher qualities. The code was done for it, but there was flaws in execution: it impacts players without imbues and who use smelting pots legitimately in a negative way.

Fast forward a bit, the problem has been resolved (the change was reverted), and we've done a bunch of work for the recent patch and that change was left unattended and basically forgotten for the July 26th patch. As of this post this is actually the first time we realize the mistake. We'll be reviewing the change and we'll update you when more information is available. In the meantime, sorry for the miscommunication.

Hey, I dunno what we were protesting. I just wanted to lynch someone.

WTB 99ql pitchfork for the next protest..... Just so my newb a$$ is ready... ?

• Like 1

Hopefully, I understand this right in that smelting pots will produce lump qualities equal to whatever item we smelted (assuming the smelting pot is higher enough quality).

ps... Keep It Simple Stupid.   ->  lump-ql = Math.min(smelted-target-item's-ql, smelting-algorithm-derived-ql) 

• Like 1

Not cool, guys.  That's a pretty horrible nerf, and high ql imping is painful enough already without being able to generate high ql lumps back from unwanted stuff.  Please don't impact QoL with however you rejig this.

• Like 1

Yeah wtf! How will I imp my pitchforks if you nerf my lumps? We're talking about quality lynching here!

• Like 2

Until a fix is found we will be forced into hosting substandard quality lynchings.

• Like 1

The lynchings will continue until we are properly able to convert our high quality pitchforks back into lumps!

• Like 1

Can't exploit Dadd's 99 weaponheads smithing?  Too bad.

I'd like to point out that the smelting pot wasn't in the game originally.  In the original concept you got 0.02kg of 1ql scrap metal for every item you created.

The smelting pot was not in the original concept for a good reason, I think.  It's not the imbue glitch, it's a legit bug that needed to be fixed.  Now it is fixed.  Good job.  Maybe you could've done the fix differently, but whatever.

I think Notch was a little more careful than to add smelting pots in the original concept.   I think the original concept is something the dev team should pay attention to.

Crocodile tears @Angelklaine

Edited by Johnston
  • Like 1

The problem, as I see it, is that smelting things down makes sense, immersively, and reducing QL doesn't. You should be able to refine metal to higher QL anyhow; the concept of a QL cap on ore is odd.

As I understand it, the QL of ore is, realistically, the starting point. High QL ore is easier to refine, but that doesn't mean you can't refine low QL ore, it just takes longer (and should take more of it to get the same weight of high QL).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnston said:

Can't exploit Dadd's 99 weaponheads smithing?  Too bad.

I'd like to point out that the smelting pot wasn't in the game originally.  In the original concept you got 0.02kg of 1ql scrap metal for every item you created.

The smelting pot was not in the original concept for a good reason, I think.  It's not the imbue glitch, it's a legit bug that needed to be fixed.  Now it is fixed.  Good job.  Maybe you could've done the fix differently, but whatever.

I think Notch was a little more careful than to add smelting pots in the original concept.   I think the original concept is something the dev team should pay attention to.

Crocodile tears @Angelklaine

It went right through your head, buddy, as usual.

3 hours ago, Roccandil said:

The problem, as I see it, is that smelting things down makes sense, immersively, and reducing QL doesn't. You should be able to refine metal to higher QL anyhow; the concept of a QL cap on ore is odd.

As I understand it, the QL of ore is, realistically, the starting point. High QL ore is easier to refine, but that doesn't mean you can't refine low QL ore, it just takes longer (and should take more of it to get the same weight of high QL).

I thought about it for a bit at one point, and my ideal fix would have been to require at least half the needed material to do an imp.  Exploit fixed.

Edited by Johnston

The problem has been fixed.  Now if you improve with a lump weight less then what would normally be needed the chance that your next imp tool is a lump again is significantly increased. You simply can't gain a materials-used advantage by making a bunch of improving lumps at 0.04kg (smelting down high creation quality arrowheads).

I think they can put smelting pots back so they make high ql lumps again. They can even make it so the weapon-smithing oils can create things at a ql higher than the original lump used for the creation.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 2