Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Tip - Moving Forges

Hey, all.  I just discovered something veeeery useful.  If you need to move a forge around but don't have fine carpentry level 40 required to build a wagon, you can push/pull/center the forge in a jiffy.

To move a forge one full tile you need 11 pushes or pulls + 1 move to center.  Once it moves to the center of the tile, you repeat the cycle: 11 pushes or pulls + 1 move to center.  Super fast and easy.  That 1 move to center saves you around 5 or 6 pushes/pulls, and allows you to regain your alignment for percise direction.  It's easier to push than pull so you can see where you're going.  But don't hit move center before completing 11 pushes, or you will move to the center of the tile you were just at, moving back instead of forward.  You need 11 pushes for the move center action to advance you to the next tile.

I like to temporarily bind "push" to "Q" and "move_center" to "E".  This way I can use my WASD in conjunction with Q and E and move that forge around like it was made of feathers.

And here's how you can double your speed: use 2 characters at the same time.  You can assign up to 3 cued-up actions.  So for Char1 assign push 3 times.  Then to Char2 assign push 3 times.  Then go back to Char1 and wait for him to finish all of his first 3 pushes and assign him 3 pushes more.  Then go back to Char2 and wait for him to finish his 3 pushes and assign him 2 pushes more + 1 move center.

And zoom... you'll be pushing that forge all around the place like it has wheels.

PS... If you're moving on a diagonal, you'll 6 pushes more.  So Char1 will have 9 pushes, and Char2 will have 8 pushes + 1 move center.

Edited by Enlightened_One
  • Like 1

Gee wiz.  I'm not that daft.  I discovered that forges are pushable, with an added boost from "move to center".  It's the move to center action that's the real benefit.

Yup.  I hope multi-boxing is not against the rules.  I read about others using multi-boxing, and they mentioned it was ok.  If multi-boxing is not ok, someone let me know so I'll stop doing it.

23 minutes ago, Enlightened_One said:

Yup.  I hope multi-boxing is not against the rules.  I read about others using multi-boxing, and they mentioned it was ok.  If multi-boxing is not ok, someone let me know so I'll stop doing it.

It’s okay, not against the rules at all and most players do it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I know.  It's pretty funny actually.  You can see your alt getting his shoulder down into the forge, pausing for a second, and then pushing with all his might.  And when he's done, he pauses to catch his breath, and you can see his shoulders heaving up and down as he breathes.  It's neat to see.  I gotta give the animators a thumbs up for the neat animations.

It's pretty effective, though, using two chars together.  In about an hour or so I was able to move a forge some 150 tiles from the middle of the eastern canal (the one still being worked) all the way up to near the western entrance.  You can go about 30 seconds per tile when you get your clicking and keypress rhythm right.

Just last night, myself and my alt were pushing an (unneeded anymore because I converted to another God) altar off my deed.
Might try this 'push to center' thing the next time I need to push something off-deed, that can't be loaded into a wagon.

Edited by Benie

Yeah, move to center is neat.  At least half of the item you're pushing needs to be into the next tile in order for move to center to get you there.  If it's less than 50% into the next tile, it will go backward to the center of the current tile.  So in effect all it saves you is about 50% the distance between the centers of two tiles.  So we're still pushing 50% of the way.  But it's better than pushing 100% of the way.

And remember the counts... it takes 11 pushes + 1 move to center if you're moving into a side-tile; 17 pushes + 1 move to center if you're moving diagonally.