Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Tip - Getting more coin for QL at a token

Hey, all.  Here's a little tip for getting the most iron coins for our iron lumps or stones (and other items) when selling at a settlement token (for any newbies out there):

I melt the iron in a forge/campfire, and I combine them by their QL level by tens (QL 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc.).  For items that cannot be melted and combined (such as stones and other items), you can use a bulk storage bin.

Sorting them into QL brackets of 10 allows us make more money at the token because the token pays 1 iron more for each higher bracket (1 iron for QL 1-9, 2 iron for QL 10-19, 3 iron for QL 20-29, etc).  So keeping the QL's in groups of 10 allows us to get more iron when selling.

Simple calculation:

Say you have 10 iron lumps of 10 QL and 10 iron lumps of 20 QL.  Combining them all together would give you 20 iron lumps of 15 QL, which would earn you 40 iron coins (20 lumps x 2 coins each).  But keeping them separate will allow you to earn 50 iron (20 coins for the QL 10s plus 30 coins for the QL 20s).

Remember to put your lumps into a bulk storage bin or a crate and then pull them back out again so that your lumps are broken down into individual units of 1.0 kg each.  The token pays you the same money regardless of the weight of the lump.  So a QL 10 lump weighing 5 kg will pay you the same as a QL 10 lump weighing 1 kg, which is 2 iron coins.  Breaking down that 5 kg lump into five 1 kg lumps would get you 10 iron coins.  Bulk storage bins are a great help for breaking materials down to their lowest unit even if they were previously combined.

And here's another tip... if one of our lumps has a QL near the middle or upper end of a bracket (like QL x3 or higher), we can take some of our lowest QLs (like QL 1) and combine them into the higher QL lump.  This will slowly bring the higher QL lump down to x2, x1, x0.9, x0.8, etc.)  When you bring the QL down to around x0.1 or even x0.2 (just to be safe), stop adding more lower level QLs or you will drop down into the next lower QL bracket.

By adding lower QL lumps into higher QL lumps we get extra coins, because that lower QL lump is now a higher QL.  And we won't be wasting QL at higher levels (selling an x3 QL lump, for example, is a waste of 3 QL levels, because an x3 lump earns as much as an x0 lump; and selling an x9.99 QL lump is the biggest waste of all, wasting 9.99 QL).  So by combining our lowest QL's into our higher QL's to bring them down to x0.2 or so, we get the most out of our lumps.

And bulk storage bins and crates will allow us to do such combining of QLs with non-meltable materials, like stone and other items.

One more thing to keep in mind when selling at a token... each character is allow to sell up to 5 copper worth of items per hour.  So if you have a huge amount of items to sell all at once, sell what you can with your main character, launch the game in a new window using an alternate character, trade your unsold items from your main to your alt, and then your alt can sell another 5 copper worth of items.

Oh, and here is one more HUGE tip.  (Gee wiz, I hope I don't get in trouble for blabbing about this one...)  Did you know you can sell snowballs at a token?  And did you know you can make 1 silver in 4 hours by doing so?  OMG, OMG, that is right.

The quality of a snowball is 99, which earns you 10 iron coins at a token.  That's 10 iron coins per snowball.  You can run across snow covered tiles making snowballs as you go.  Around 33% of the tiles (I have found) allow you to make snowballs, which take only a few seconds to make.  If you have 5 characters on your account, each character can get his 5 copper per hour quota selling snowballs at a token, earning you 25 copper in just under an hour.  Do that for 4 hours and you'll have 1 silver.

And guess what?  Winter is just around the corner in Wurmlandia (I don't think it's called that, but it might as well be).  August 3rd real life is the start of winter.  So next weekend we should have 3 or 4 days of massive snowball sales.  (Oh, I hope Rolf doesn't ban me for this!)

Edited by Enlightened_One

Better to go hunt or forage tiles you will get more then 1s in 4hours!  + skill

There are much easier ways to make cash than using alts to sell junk, just saying.  Foraging, botanising, hunting, burying corpses, to give a few ideas...

• Like 1

Oh, and one more thing about selling to your token... this is where you really need the hotkeys, because scrolling through the token menu to sell a few hundred items is a real chore.

I bound "activate" to my "C" key and "sell" to my "Z" key.  Then you can mouse over the item in your inventory, hit C, mouse over the token until you see the outline, and hit Z.  Since it takes the token 2 seconds to sell an item, you can easily cue up the next item within those 2 seconds for continuous selling one item after the other.  It's very fast.

Edited by Enlightened_One