Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Eastern Canal Rework

Hey, all.  Just wanted to keep everyone updated on what I'm up to with the unfinished eastern canal.

Nny8MOl.jpg

In order to keep the 3-tile spacing of the straight-aways consistent on the diagonals, I have marked with an "X" all the blocks that need to be removed.  This would give us nice straight diagonal lines which are actually 4 tiles apart on a north-south basis, but which would be pretty close to 3 tiles apart on the diagonal.  (Not exactly 3 on the diagonal, but close enough without having to push one side an entire block back.)

There are 4 iron veins (red) which need to come out, and as we know, an iron vein can take some 1,000 mining actions to remove.  (Or is it 10,000?)  At any rate, those blocks will take a lot of work.  I'm using 3 characters to mine simultaneously (my main and 2 alts) to triple my speed.  If anyone wants to come get some iron ore, you can help yourself to those if you like.

I'll keep everyone updated as I go.  Man, I am really looking forward to this.  I figure it might take me until Christmas to work the whole thing.  But in a weird way, I like it.

Edited by Enlightened_One

Hey, Luttuosa.  That's super!

I have my settlement just outside the western entrance; the pumpkin farm.  I'm working the western end, and will be mining the first iron vein marked "X" above, and will work my way SE over time.  I don't have a forge; I just build a camp fire and melt down the iron into lumps there, and then load the lumps in my cart and sell them at my token.

But there is a forge right near the western entrance in that little pocket south of the entrance.  You can use that one if you want.

I also chisel my rock shards into round stones and sell them at my token too.  You're welcome to sell at my token as well, if you like.  You'll find it just outside my little 3 room shack on the western edge of my pumpkin farm.

Neato!

PS... I'm going to establish a second settlement (using an alt character) with its token as close to the western entrance as I can get.  Then anyone working on the tunnel can have a place to sell their iron and stones close by.  It's a great way to get compensated for working on the canal.

I'll post when the token is up.

PPS... For anyone wondering about how to make coins quickly and efficiently while mining, here's a little tip...

I melt the iron in a forge/campfire, and I combine them by their QL level by tens (QL 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc.).  This allows us make more money at the token, because the token pays 1 iron more for each higher bracket of 10 QL (1 iron for QL 1-9, 2 iron for QL 10-19, 3 iron for QL 20-29, etc).  So keeping the QL's in groups of 10 allows us to get more iron when selling.

And here's another tip... if one of our lumps has a QL near the middle or upper end of a bracket (like QL x3 or higher), we can take some of our lowest QLs (like QL 1) and combine them into the higher QL lump.  This will slowly bring the higher QL lump down to x2, x1, x0.9, x0.8, etc.)  When you bring the QL down to around x0.1 or even x0.2 (just to be safe), stop adding more lower level QLs or you will drop down into the lower QL bracket.

By adding lower QL lumps into higher QL lumps we get extra coins, because that lower QL lump is now a higher QL.  And we won't be wasting QL at higher levels (selling an x3 QL lump, for example, is a waste of 3 QL levels, because an x3 lump earns as much as an x0 lump; and selling an x9 QL lump is the biggest waste of all, wasting 9 QL).  So by combining our lowest QL's into our higher QL's to bring them down to x0.2 or so, we get the most out of our lumps.

I'm heading over with an alt to help with the veins.

8 minutes ago, Qdlaty said:

what ql iron is there?

The two veins nearest the west entrance are "good" QL, so 60-79?

I'm working on the second nearest the entrance. I've mined about 1,500 ores and it's not broken yet. After I get to 1,800 I'll be heading home to smelt.

Edited by Ajala

When I next pass that way, probably later this week, I'll pop in, and get the exact quality and quantity on those veins for you.

In a few more days and I'll have a settlement token set up just outside the west entrance so people can sell their ores and stones/bricks.  I'm also building a wagon so I can move some forges next to the iron veins, starting with the veins closest to the western entrance and then moving the forges down the tunnel as we clear out one iron vein after the other.  I should have the token up by this weekend sometime.

Oh, and for fast selling (I'm sure most people know this, but for the newer folk...), you can keybind "activate" to one key and "sell" to another.  Then hover your mouse over the item in your inventory, hit your activate key, hover over the token until you get an outline, and hit your sell key.  It takes 2 seconds to sell an item, and within that time you can easily cue up another for rapid selling of huge quantities.  We may as well earn a little something for working on community projects like this.

And one more perk... when selling large quantities of items at a token, there's an increased chance of getting extra coins.  I usually get a 5c coin almost daily, and have also had an occasional 1 silver coin as a bonus for selling at the token.

Have you looked into how we're actually going to turn this into a canal, oh Englightened One? Seems to me it's going to need a new entrance.

The entrances are no smaller than other canal entrances.  Other canals have a one-tile entrance too.  No reason why this one wouldn't suffice.

What exactly is the obstacle you were thinking of?

As far as I know, it's not possible to lower the floor of a mine entrance, which we would have to do to get it under water.

Oh.  That might be a point.  How did the other canals manage it?  If we can find out how they did it, we should try it.

I imagine they made sure the tunnel was under water when they first opened it.

I'm guessing there are ways around the problem. Maybe using magic to collapse the entrance and open a new one? I'm not an expert on that kind of thing.

Another option would be to open another tunnel underwater (preferably deep enough for corbitas and caravels) nearby and connecting it to the existing tunnel.

Sounds good.  The interesting thing is that this tunnel was already started by other players a while ago.  They made a really nice eastern entrance which is underwater already.  I thought they would have chosen the existing western entrance where it is because they could get it underwater eventually.  As it is, the western entrance is 2 dirts below water, but only along one edge of the tile.  I'll have to try digging/mining the rest of that tile to be sure if I can get all below water.  But I won't do too much, because I don't want to block cart access.  I'll post more later.

One thing we might try is ask a priest to come down and cast a spell to remove the reinforcements along the western wall just south of the existing entrance.  It might have been the original builders' intent to punch through that entire wall and out into the lake.  But someone built reinforcements on the inside of the wall tiles.  If we can't dig the existing 1-tile entrance, we should be able to remove the reinforcements and punch through the wall south of the existing entrance, and this new opening could be 3 tiles wide.

Are there any priests out there who would like to come down and remove some reinforcements?  Or a GM perhaps?  (Are they called GM's here?)

Hi, I can take care of the collapsing and making a new entrance when it comes to that, its just that my nahjo priest isn't

premium atm, and i'd like to have a couple of more tasks for him before i spend the silvers on it.

• Like 1

Hey, Snowtech, that's awesome.  I just tried to mine the corners of the entrance tile and just like Ajala said, it won't let me.  Thanks, Ajala, for the heads-up.  I'm still a new Wurm.

So, yeah, Snowtech, whenever you get a chance to come down, we could use your help.  It looks something like this...

O

XX

XX

XX

The "O" is the current entrance, just 1 tile.  Just south of it are 3 tiles of rock which are reinforced from inside the cave.  These line up perfectly with the straight passage of the canal, so the original builders had planned to put a 3-tile entrance here from the very beginning, it seems.

On the outside are 3 more tiles which are dirt sloping upward onto the rockface.  I guess this is the debris from the collapse.

I'm only barely above 20 strength, so I can't dig or mine there.  But if you can clear a 3-tile opening that lines-up with the canal passageway, that would be awesome.  Take the time you need.  After all, the canal still needs several more months of work - real time.  Whenever you can make it, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to plant a settlement token just outside the current entrance so that the miners and I can sell iron and rock/bricks while working on the canal.  But it won't be in the way of the new entrance.  When you're ready to come down, let me know and I will add you as a citizen to the deed so you can alter the terrain.

Super!  We're getting it done!

The tunnel has been there since before it was possible to do three-tile entrances, I believe.

Those 4 iron veins are, starting from the west are, I have dropped a named Colossus brick with the details by each vein:

• 75ql - 151 remaining
  • 66ql - 2657 remaining
  • 20ql - 7315 remaining
  • 31ql - 5708 remaining
4 hours ago, Ajala said:

The tunnel has been there since before it was possible to do three-tile entrances, I believe.

Yes, I believe this is one of the early tunnel, first mentioned back in 2014 -

Collapsing and mining an entrance can best be done from the inside out, after the last tiles have been mined deep enough for all ships to pass.

However, before mining out the entrance, I reccommend to surface mine the bottom corners of the tiles that need to be removed.

By doing so, you will create a more vertical looking tile and thus a higher entrance as when the tile has its "natural" look.

I got a Mag priestess available, if / when needed.

Thorin :)

Thanks for the iron counts, Wulfmaer.  And thanks for the stones near each vein.  That's good info to have.  I was working on the first one for a couple of hours last night.  Nice to know it's almost depleted.  I moved 2 forges next to it.  When it's done, I will move the 2 forges down to the next vein, moving along from west to east.

Thanks too, Thorinoakshield.  Snowtech has also offered a priest, but will need a little time to be available.  Anytime you can come down would be ok too, I'm sure.  I'm going to give what you say a try, mining down a few slopes at the base of the 3 tiles that need to come out.  I figure I'll mine down to 7 below water, seeing as sailboats and knars need at least 5 of clearance.  And 7 or 8 is the limit we can go without requiring a dredge, if I'm not mistaken.  Although, you can't dredge rock, can you?  At any rate, I'll mine the floor at the base of the wall down to 7 on the inside of the cave.  There's a dirt path on the outside between the water and the rock.  Should I dig down on the outside too?

Whenever you or Snowtech can come down, that would be nice.  There's no rush.  I figure we'll need several months real time working on the inside before we need an entrance anyway.

You can mine down under water deep enough for all ships. 

Super.  I brought the inside of the 3-tile wall to be removed and brought it down to 3 below water.  I'll keep going just along that one strip so we get a nice flat entrance when the time comes to open it.

So what is the depth that we need for all ships to use this?  I know rowboats, sailboats and knarrs need 5.  What do the others need?