Enlightened_One

Eastern Canal Rework

Good suggestion, Thorinoakshield.  But there is a chamber measuring approx. 10 x 20 in the way, which the first two openings lead into.  When I removed a few rock blocks along the 3rd opening's tileline, I hit a block that could not be removed, giving me the message that the rock sounded hollow and it would open into an adjacent shaft (or something to that effect), which is actually that 10x20 chamber.  There appears to be just one thin wall between the chamber and the canal, and I can't break that wall.

But even if we could remove that wall and continue through the chamber on a diagonal toward the sea, there's a settlement in the way before reaching the water.  We might offer to buy him out with enough silver, maybe.

I haven't surveyed the area to see if there is enough of a rockface to allow us to punch through on the diagonal even if we did buy-out the settlement.  I know the settlement is flat, only about 40 or so dirts above sea level for a distance of about 30 tiles or so.  So the rockface (if there is one) would be about 35 tiles away from the sea.  We could dig a canal through the settlement (if we could buy it).

If someone wants to negotiate with the deed owner, it's worth a shot.  But I haven't surveyed the area well enough to know if it's even a viable location for a canal entrance.

Edited by Enlightened_One

That's awesome, Ajala.  I can give you permissions if you give me your character's name.  Or actually, now that the opening is made, I don't think we really need a token there.  I don't think anyone mining the canal would even use the token to sell anything.  I wonder if I should just disband that settlement?  Do you think there is any further use for it, now that we have an entrance?

I surveyed the western outlet a little more.  I found that a continuation of the diagonal straight into the water does seem to be feasible.  The bend in the diagonal as it is now sits around 24 tiles inside.  So I ran up 24 tiles north of the current entrance and found the spot where the diagonal would meet the water.  It turns out to be on the perimeter of "Joe's Bar & Grill", not on his actual settlement.  If we can find the owner of Joe's Bar & Grill, maybe we can negotiate with him to reduce his dimensions and allow me to put up a token just a little south of the point where the diagonal meets the water.  That way, the point where the diagonal meets the water would be on the edge of my deed, and he wouldn't have to give up very much at all.

Does anyone know how we can find out who the owner of that deed is?

Of course, tunnel entrances cannot be at an angle, so at some point there will be a little elbow to the west just as the canal exits the mountain.  So I don't know if it's really worth it to go through all that to make an extension of the diagonal.  We would have to solve the adjacent chamber problem, negotiate with the current settlement owner, setup a temporary token and claim some tiles for proper removal of reinforcements and to make other terrain adjustments, and then still be left with a short elbow when exiting the mountain (the mountain's exit is about 7 or 8 tiles from the water).

What does everyone think?  Should we just stick with the existing entrance?  I'm ok either way.

The current version of Joe's seems to have been founded by Ntstlkr about a month ago, but it's been there considerably longer.

Yeah.  When I first moved into the area a couple of months ago, the house's walls were cracking and the building was falling apart, but the token was still there.  Then about a week later, the token was gone.  Then about 3 or 4 weeks ago the token came back, and the building was fixed up.  So someone likely moved in again, though I'm not sure if it's the same person or another.

At any rate, I'm going to continue working on the existing configuration for now.  Over the next few months, if we manage to locate the owner of the deed, I'll offer him a few pieces of silver to see if he'll resize one corner of his land to accommodate a new canal entrance.  If successful, we can always make a new entrance and plug-up the current one.

But for now I'll just go with the current blueprints, as the hardest part is already done.