Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Eastern Canal Rework

9 minutes ago, Ajala said:

Fraggle Rock? I love it. We should keep the name.

Only if Ohana agrees, but yes, it is a great name.

• Like 1

My partner in crime was Sprocket. So Fraggle rock, was a obvious name. 

Yes,  it would tickle me if Fraggle was used / kept.

Update about the WESTERN entrance:

- I dropped a temperary deed with my alt to make some things a bit easier. Deedname is Mining Maniacs Colony.

- So far I've given permissions to Ajala, Wulfmaer, one of my alts and Enlightenedone to do digging, all forms of mining as well as picking up, dropping and (un-)loading. The cart I got there is set for everyone to be passenger as well, in case we're got to move en-masse to a working area.

- I've also moved the crates Ajala dropped off inside the deeded part of the northern cave (aka a safe-zone), closed one entrance of that area as it was impossible to use it by cart, moved one forge onto deed and dropped a larder with food.

Which means that we can use that area as a base of operations for the western side.

- Wulfmaer and I have been closing some of the entrances, doing some surface mining to get tileborders flat and have been re-opening two tiles again. The result is a nice wide open entrance.

Plan is to work at one of the tile-borders tomorrow by adding some concrete to it so it would be flat as well. After that the 3rd part of the entrance might be opened up as well.

- I've been changing the current path into a "landbridge"; thus making sure we can enter both the safe-zone as well as the tunnel using an entrance Wulfmaer made earlier.

- One Magranon altar is made as well, making it possible for my priestess to do some strongwalling when needed and to gain faith fast by saccing items.

And that leaves me with the following question:

Which depth do you want in the tunnel? If you prefer the maximum depth making it possible for the largest ships to use the tunnel, the landbridge needs to be replaced by an arched bridge of at least 5 tiles long.

That also means you need to take in mind of which materials the bridge is going to be made.

If, however, you prefer to use the depth which makes it possible for Knarrs and smaller boats to use the tunne onlyl, the landbridge is sufficient enough and only needs to be paved again.

*end of report*

Thorin :)

I'm at the eastern entrance, awaiting a reply from a PM to Enlightened_one regarding a proposed plan for the canal. I really would like to get the plan ironed out in my head before I start doing anything. My thought on the design: 

It will give boat-up access to the building with the source fountain. It originally included walling off the small opening with a bed & such, but that can easily just be left open. I don't believe any tiles are going to be in the way. It will involve a bunch of strongwall at the eastern opening, but I've got that handled. I'd really like to start work on the road portion. I just need to know what we are doing with the ceiling there. Are we leaving it the default, adding it to the vaulted ceiling or what?

c3hYBNk.png

1 hour ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Which depth do you want in the tunnel? If you prefer the maximum depth making it possible for the largest ships to use the tunnel, the landbridge needs to be replaced by an arched bridge of at least 5 tiles long.

That also means you need to take in mind of which materials the bridge is going to be made.

If, however, you prefer to use the depth which makes it possible for Knarrs and smaller boats to use the tunne onlyl, the landbridge is sufficient enough and only needs to be paved again.

I recently bought a knarr, so my personal need for a southern exit on this lake is less pressing than it was before.

However, I think we owe it to future generations to make this tunnel accessible by ALL boats.

If building a five-tile bridge is the only obstacle to making this happen, I will happily build it myself. I built the bridge at the south end of the T&T tunnel that made it accessible to bigger boats last year.

Whether I plan the bridge or not depends on what type of material we want to use. I'm at 52 masonry so I can plan arched brick bridges (according to the wiki https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Bridges), but not marble/slate/sandstone ones.

But if somebody else plans it, I can certainly build it.

I have local supplies of marble and sandstone but not slate.

I have plenty of stone bricks and mortar in stock if we decide to go for a stone bridge.

Edited by Ajala

I'm currently at the western entrance with an alt, trying to plan a stone brick bridge. 

It took many attempts, and more than a bit of terraforming, to get to the point where I think I could plan it. 

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have permissions to build a bridge on this Maniacs deed.

I have a crate of bricks and a crate of mortar and could get to work on it today, if that's what we want.

Edited by Ajala

6 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Plan is to work at one of the tile-borders tomorrow by adding some concrete to it so it would be flat as well. After that the 3rd part of the entrance might be opened up as well.

[05:42:33] The concrete would only flow away.

Plan B might be to close the right hand side and lowering the top right corner to keep things nice and symmetrical, keep it 2 tiles wide... or close it up, and the row behind, to level the top all the way across...  Plan Crazy would be to surface mine the right-hand side and open the third tile on that side....

Zethreal's plan looks good to me - I had mined around the north side of the source building, this was in part to create a raised area to be able to reach the ceiling (and have max depth alongside) to get the ceiling to a height that is level the length of the tunnel but not too high. The central tile was levelled from there to the eastern entrance...

@Ajala: My main should have the permits and got high enough masonry to plan quite some bridges. I'm sure we can work things out.
And I agree with you, it's a better idea to aim at the full depth now. Unless someone is prepared to mine the full tunnel to full depth in the future? ?

@Wulfmaer: How about closing both tiles - yes, again - then surface mine the top of all three tiles to the lowest point of the one currently blocking opening it and after that opening up all three tiles?

That way, we're able to create a flat top and bottom for a 3 tile wide entrance.

8 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

Zethreal's plan looks good to me - I had mined around the north side of the source building, this was in part to create a raised area to be able to reach the ceiling (and have max depth alongside) to get the ceiling to a height that is level the length of the tunnel but not too high. The central tile was levelled from there to the eastern entrance...

With projects this big, we need to work in an orderly fashion. While I'm not the one managing it, I do have 15 years of project management experience in the "real world". For this instant, that part of the cave is fine. Since it is reinforced, we are very limited to what we can & cannot do, so it must be done correctly the *first* time. Please leave that area alone until we reach it. Once that's done, we should be able to work around it better.

My recommendation is to open up both ends of the cave so it's open for foot traffic, then concentrate all efforts on one end. Since the eastern path is already being opened up & mined down, I'd say we start there and work towards the west.  This is especially true since the western side is going to need a deed placed and quite a few reinforced tiles will need to be removed to widen it for the canal.  Working from both sides isn't really a good idea because you either can't reinforce one side until the other side connects to it or you run the risk of reinforcing something and have it not match up & be stuck removing tons of reinforced tiles & fixing them.

I think you need to come check out the western end. We've done a LOT of work there today.

13 minutes ago, Ajala said:

I think you need to come check out the western end. We've done a LOT of work there today.

All I'm saying is that for mining it out ( up to height and down to depth ) you really need to start at one point and go from there. Starting in 2 locations is just asking for trouble.  Is there a "plan" anywhere for what is being done? I haven't seen anything except very basic, general ideas. I'm trying to bring a bit of order to it so we have a list of tasks that need to be done.

If we just mine out all of the tiles and then go back through and mine up & down, that is ok, but we run the risk of having to re-mine them out due to tunnel collapses.  If we're changing the direction and starting from the west, the eastern side should stop work.

EDIT: I'm not trying to tell anyone to stop working or that they are wrong. I am just trying to reduce work that will need to be done again so the canal can be completely more quickly :)

Second Edit: If you just want someone to do grunt work, let me know. I just need to know what to do. I haven't really seen any solid plans laid out for what needs to be done. Until I know what's wanted of me, I will work on a workers camp nearby.

Third edit: Feel free to PM me or hit me up in the Wurm Discord ( same username ) via pm or in one of the text chats.

Edited by zethreal

Wow!  Awesome to see so much contribution from so many.  That's great.  By all means, fellas, provide as much leadership and direction as you guys can, as your experience and knowledge is awesome.  And especially since come September I will have less time on my hands.  But I'll still chip-in when I can.

Great plan, Zethreal.  It looks awesome, with a nice land route too.  I think using that as our blueprint would be great.  And nice contributions from everyone else as well, Thorinoakshield, Ajala, and everyone.

I'll still be popping in and out to lend a hand when I can.  But summer's almost over, and so is much of my spare time.  It'll be great to see when it's all done!  Awesome, everyone!

Edited by Enlightened_One

Ajala, do you have any plan set that I could look at? I will head over there tonight when I get home from work ( in ~3 hours or so ).

I'm going to be re-preming my priest and will be able to help collapse tiles. The main tiles I will start with are around the source spring building. After that, we should work from the west to the east and finish a section of 8-10 tiles E/W and all 5 N/S at a time, approximately. That way we're able to keep things reinforced and we don't get too far ahead of ourselves.

1 hour ago, zethreal said:

Ajala, do you have any plan set that I could look at? I will head over there tonight when I get home from work ( in ~3 hours or so ).

Personally, no.

I was taking my lead from Thorinoakshield and Wulfmaer, who seem to know what they're doing.

Quick proposal:

How about Wulfmaer, Zethreal and I meeting up and setting up an operation plan?

That way we're at least certain we're able to work according something we agree on, as it seems we've got to deal with different timezones as well.

I had a short chat with Wulfmaer and Ajala ingame and both agreed this might be a good solution.

As for a plan, Wulfmaer and I think the plan Zethreal posted might be a good idea.

I'm able to expand the deed of my alt over the reinforced tiles at the southern part of the western end, so those can be removed. After that a path along the southern side of the canal can be carved.
A 2 tile wide road entrance is already made at the southern side of that canal.

I've been raising the center tile ceiling over a length of 15 tiles or so at the western end as well. Raising the ceilings of the outer tiles is possible, however, personally I like the look of a more "round" tunnel. Still, I am prepared to change my mind if the majority wants the tunnel having a raised ceiling over the full width.

With the exception of the entrance, none of the floor tiles has been lowered. Personally I'd like to postpone that until at least a large part of the path is done, making it possible to access the tunnel / canal by cart / wagon and by boat.
As for depth, lowering the central tile to maximum depth only will give a nice look, however I also think that lowering the two outside tiles to a certain level below water level, will give a better look at things. 

When using the first concept, the ceiling of the canal / tunnel will look like this:
  _

/  \__

The floor of the canal / tunnel will look like this as a mirror image of that.

Of course, lowering all tiles to maximum depth is also possible, but it might turn the overall look of the tunnel like a "box".

Anyway, suggestions are welcome. As always.

Edited by Thorinoakshield

Apologies for my sudden disappearance yesterday - we had a power outage that lasted most of the night ?

9 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

Apologies for my sudden disappearance yesterday - we had a power outage that lasted most of the night ?

I kinda figured that. Hope nothing got damaged when it happened?

The "20ql - 7315 remaining" iron vein is now GONE.

God damn, that was a pain in my ass, but no more.

• Like 4

Hey, all.  Looking good, folks.  Man it's great to see such coordination and team work.  I'm glad I could be a part of it.  Feels good.

Just so you know, I made some room on the south side of the west entrance for continued construction.  I read that someone was thinking about planting a token there so they can better shape the terrain.  So I trimmed the dimensions of my settlement, and there should be room to plant a token south of the west's land entrance which should give you at least 5 tiles west and unlimited south.  I actually found a better location I like near Whitefay and was planning on moving there anyway.  I'll be moving in about a month, so soon there will be plenty of room for a highway from the west land entrance toward the south, around the lagoon, and westward.

I'll be helping out on the canal from time to time.  September is fast approaching, and my work is going to ramp up again.  It's nice to see so many participating in the project, and so much experience too.  It's nice.  I'm glad we can all make a contribution to it.  When it's done, it will be an important part of the canal system, and it will feel good to know we had a hand in it.  Keep up the awesome job, folks!

Edited by Enlightened_One

10 hours ago, Ajala said:

The "20ql - 7315 remaining" iron vein is now GONE.

God damn, that was a pain in my ass, but no more.

Well done!

I just hope you don't need a pillow to sit down now? ;) 'coz I don't think they're added to the game. :D

OK, let me get this straight:

You asked for help, got ppl coming over to help you, investing time, money and goods to help you, but seeing you barely helping working at the project yourself after you mapped the cave.

And now you're telling you're happy about the progress and plan to LEAVE in about a month? ?

I had in mind to disband that temperary deed on monday afternoon, travel back to my deeds because I have to be away for a couple of days. But it also was on my mind to return afterwards and continue helping.
You just blew that.

Monday I'll disband the deed and leave to do other things; wether or not this project is finished. I won't return to it to do any strongwalling casts in the future, nor to mine. If this is going to be a community project, I'm prepared to help.
However, to me it looks more like the dream of someone who very much overestimated what's needed and is too chicken to admit it.

Thorin ?

• Like 1

I agree with Thorin.

17 hours ago, Enlightened_One said:

I'll be helping out on the canal from time to time.  September is fast approaching, and my work is going to ramp up again.  It's nice to see so many participating in the project, and so much experience too.  It's nice.  I'm glad we can all make a contribution to it.  When it's done, it will be an important part of the canal system, and it will feel good to know we had a hand in it.  Keep up the awesome job, folks!

Right now you've got you & 2 alts doing nothing but cranking out stone bricks that I'm assuming you are going to sell. You aren't answering people in local or via PM. This whole thing looks like a scam for free laborers and materials so you can make money off it. I will be abandoning the canal project because it is now very quickly becoming sketchy as all hell.

• Like 2

I agree with Thorin and Zethreal.

I'll be spending my time visiting my deeds and on a few other projects - at least once I have visited the Labyrinth...

Here's the last update about this project, before I'm heading back to my deed.

DSj9AeC.png

EUz97mp.png

79AFJIt.png

Others might add to this, but as far as I know, this is done by now:

1) Central tile of the ceiling is heightened to maximum all the way to the underground lighthouse. I haven't ventured beyond that, so I've no idea about what happened there.

2) All tunnel entrances at the western side have been reinforced.

3) To give road access to deeds at both sides of the canal, a bridge is build. To give access to all boats, one tile has been lowered to 30 dirt below water level.

4) A start for the road next  to the canal is made.

5) 1 Iron vein (20 QL) has been removed. At least one other iron vein in the boat section and several sandstone veins in the road section remains.

6) The road at both sides of the bridge, leading to the tunnel road entrance have been paved.

I'd like to thank Ajala (and Vax), Wulfmaer and Zethreal for their assistance in this project by helping planning, mining, bridge building and supplying resources. I hope we'll be able to team up one day and continue this.

@ Ajala, I've taken all you dropped off with me. If you'd like them returned, let me know and I'll sail over later this week to drop them off.

In case anybody's wondering, work on this canal is continuing. There are four people (at least six toons) working on it and making good progress, but more help is always appreciated, particularly with mining.

• Like 1