Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Eastern Canal Rework

Good suggestion, Thorinoakshield.  But there is a chamber measuring approx. 10 x 20 in the way, which the first two openings lead into.  When I removed a few rock blocks along the 3rd opening's tileline, I hit a block that could not be removed, giving me the message that the rock sounded hollow and it would open into an adjacent shaft (or something to that effect), which is actually that 10x20 chamber.  There appears to be just one thin wall between the chamber and the canal, and I can't break that wall.

But even if we could remove that wall and continue through the chamber on a diagonal toward the sea, there's a settlement in the way before reaching the water.  We might offer to buy him out with enough silver, maybe.

I haven't surveyed the area to see if there is enough of a rockface to allow us to punch through on the diagonal even if we did buy-out the settlement.  I know the settlement is flat, only about 40 or so dirts above sea level for a distance of about 30 tiles or so.  So the rockface (if there is one) would be about 35 tiles away from the sea.  We could dig a canal through the settlement (if we could buy it).

If someone wants to negotiate with the deed owner, it's worth a shot.  But I haven't surveyed the area well enough to know if it's even a viable location for a canal entrance.

Edited by Enlightened_One

That's awesome, Ajala.  I can give you permissions if you give me your character's name.  Or actually, now that the opening is made, I don't think we really need a token there.  I don't think anyone mining the canal would even use the token to sell anything.  I wonder if I should just disband that settlement?  Do you think there is any further use for it, now that we have an entrance?

I surveyed the western outlet a little more.  I found that a continuation of the diagonal straight into the water does seem to be feasible.  The bend in the diagonal as it is now sits around 24 tiles inside.  So I ran up 24 tiles north of the current entrance and found the spot where the diagonal would meet the water.  It turns out to be on the perimeter of "Joe's Bar & Grill", not on his actual settlement.  If we can find the owner of Joe's Bar & Grill, maybe we can negotiate with him to reduce his dimensions and allow me to put up a token just a little south of the point where the diagonal meets the water.  That way, the point where the diagonal meets the water would be on the edge of my deed, and he wouldn't have to give up very much at all.

Does anyone know how we can find out who the owner of that deed is?

Of course, tunnel entrances cannot be at an angle, so at some point there will be a little elbow to the west just as the canal exits the mountain.  So I don't know if it's really worth it to go through all that to make an extension of the diagonal.  We would have to solve the adjacent chamber problem, negotiate with the current settlement owner, setup a temporary token and claim some tiles for proper removal of reinforcements and to make other terrain adjustments, and then still be left with a short elbow when exiting the mountain (the mountain's exit is about 7 or 8 tiles from the water).

What does everyone think?  Should we just stick with the existing entrance?  I'm ok either way.

The current version of Joe's seems to have been founded by Ntstlkr about a month ago, but it's been there considerably longer.

Yeah.  When I first moved into the area a couple of months ago, the house's walls were cracking and the building was falling apart, but the token was still there.  Then about a week later, the token was gone.  Then about 3 or 4 weeks ago the token came back, and the building was fixed up.  So someone likely moved in again, though I'm not sure if it's the same person or another.

At any rate, I'm going to continue working on the existing configuration for now.  Over the next few months, if we manage to locate the owner of the deed, I'll offer him a few pieces of silver to see if he'll resize one corner of his land to accommodate a new canal entrance.  If successful, we can always make a new entrance and plug-up the current one.

But for now I'll just go with the current blueprints, as the hardest part is already done.

If you plan the ceiling for a 5-tile wide canal, I will work on the land route when possible. Is the canal currently passable with a knarr?

Hi, Zethreal.

It's not open to any vessels at the moment.  I'm currently working on the ceiling which is about half finished.  Once I finish the other half of the ceiling, then I'll dig a centerline into the floor for all ships.  I'm moving east to west on the ceiling, and then I'll be moving from west to east on the floor.

Originally it was built just 3 tiles wide, and I haven't expanded it wider.  But we can expand it to 4 and even 5 later if people want that.  All I'm doing to the ceiling is raising the center tile only, so that the two sides are sloping for a nice dome effect.  So if it is expanded to 5, we can easily go 2 tiles to one side, or 1 tile on each side.

I was planning on reinforcing the walls, though, because cave-ins are pretty frequent I have found, maybe something like one block a week falls from who knows where, whether the wall or the ceiling I don't know.  If it ever does expand to 4 or 5 the reinforcements would need to be removed. But that's an easy fix with a priest, I'm guessing.  Or, if expanding it to 4 or 5 starts very soon, I may as well not even put any reinforcements up at all.  It would save a lot of work.

I should have the ceiling centerline finished by the end of this weekend.  So next week I'll start on the floor's centerline.

If you're going to make a land passage on the north side of the canal (east along the diagonal), keep in mind there is a hollowed-out chamber immediately to the north of the short leg by the west entrance (where the first two openings are, the first 2 black squares on the map).  There is only one thin wall between the chamber and the canal (1 block thick).  If removing this is a problem, then we may have no choice but to make the footpath on the south side of the canal (west on the diagonal).

Oh, and one more thing to point out which may require your character's special powers... that underground lighthouse (blue square in the east) is right in the middle of the canal, right on the centerline.  There is only 1 tile on the north and 1 tile on the south of it for ships to use.  These two tiles are sloped below the waterline from the walls inward, so that the tile that houses the lighthouse has straight sides that drop straight down.

We might need your powers to expand the 1 tile passage to 2 tiles on either side.  Or maybe we can just remove the lighthouse all together.  Is there really a use for it?  A lighthouse underground?  Maybe we could move it to just outside the east entrance, if moving it is possible.  But where it is right now (right in the middle of the canal) seems awkward.

2 hours ago, Enlightened_One said:

Hi, Zethreal.

It's not open to any vessels at the moment.  I'm currently working on the ceiling which is about half finished.  Once I finish the other half of the ceiling, then I'll dig a centerline into the floor for all ships.  I'm moving east to west on the ceiling, and then I'll be moving from west to east on the floor.

Originally it was built just 3 tiles wide, and I haven't expanded it wider.  But we can expand it to 4 and even 5 later if people want that.  All I'm doing to the ceiling is raising the center tile only, so that the two sides are sloping for a nice dome effect.  So if it is expanded to 5, we can easily go 2 tiles to one side, or 1 tile on each side.

Ok. I think opening it up for at least 1 tile wide & deep enough for a knarr would be a good idea for now. I think adding a "by foot" path is also a decent idea. I can head over tomorrow and take a look at the light house, unless you want to pm me or post a picture. The foot path should be 2 tiles wide so it can attach to a highway and doesn't need to be too tall - just tall enough to avoid clipping issues with a wagon so... just a little higher than the default. 

Sounds good.  In that case, of connecting to a highway, we should probably put it on the south side of the canal, in part to avoid the north chamber in the west, and also because when exiting the canal at the west end, there is not enough room for a highway on the north side, as it is right close to the water.  A highway from the canal would have to move south first before continuing west.  Similar situation at the east end, where a highway to the south is more logical.

I'll put up a shot of the lighthouse so everyone can see what's there.

And ok, the floor I can do down to say 10 dirts below water to get it open to knars as soon as possible, and then go down to 25 after that's done.

If it ever does expand to 4 or 5 the reinforcements would need to be removed. But that's an easy fix with a priest, I'm guessing.

It's very difficult to remove reinforcements off deed even with a priest. Not something you want to do if you need to expand the tunnel later.

If you're planning to have a highway through the tunnel, which is not a bad idea, you'll need two flat tiles then 1 slope down, 1 deep flat tile then one slope up or alternatively 2 deep flat tiles like this

|_____           |

\_____|

The lighthouse in the middle of the tunnel is probably an access hut around a source fountain I'm pretty sure there is one in the tunnel.

2 hours ago, Enlightened_One said:

And ok, the floor I can do down to say 10 dirts below water to get it open to knars as soon as possible, and then go down to 25 after that's done.

It doesn't need to be that deep for knarrs - an even 5 dirt is good as a horse/cart/wagon can also be driven through.

Just looked at the western entrance, again, this could be easily solved with a priest to collapse a few tiles. But, will need a few reinforced tiles removing - so please remove the reinforcement about the western entrance before disbanding the deed. If we don't have a priest who can strongwall on site, I'll reprem my priestess and bring her down.

Be careful raising the ceiling that it is not raised too high and prevents lowering the floor all the way. There is a section of floor already lowered at the eastern entrance, which can be used to ensure that a mistake is not made...

Not sure about the eastern entrance - it currently can't be opened wider than one tile, giving the error "The cave walls look very unstable. You cannot keep mining here."  It is possible that is caused by some previous work to remove a reinforced tile that went wrong.... There was a lava tile at one time, I think this was where the flat rock tiles are beside the current entrance. With the recent erupt/freeze change this might be solvable with a Path of Power freeze on the correct tile (if there is somebody that can do that).

OK.  I removed the reinforcements at the west entrance that were within my deeded area (6 south of the token, and 6 east of the token; north and west are outside the canal, and there's nothing there).

I found it tough to get really good screenshots of the lighthouse base which houses the source spring.  The passage past it (1 tile north and 1 tile south) are steeply sloped downward, with the tile that the lighthouse is on having straight sides down.  It sits about 8 dirts above sea level.

I'll see about finishing the ceiling soon.  I may have to wait until the weekend or next week.  This ceiling is done in about 75% of the canal.  Only the diagonal and the west elbow need their roof done.

I've been making some preparations to assist in this project today and I got some suggestions too.

For now I've got about 250 chopped veggies and a bunch of locks available for my Mag priestess; giving her the ability to collapse or strongwall parts of the tunnel.

I've also made 4 bowls to build Mag altars - my main can do that - and I'm quite certain that finding clay nearby or rockshards for bricks won't be a problem. :D

On top of that, I've also prepared some mining affinity meals for that priestes, so she's all set.

Tomorrow I'll prepare a few other things with my main character, before sailing both to the Eastern Entrance and perhaps setting up camp over there. I can build several Mag altars in the tunnel right away, depending at where the road is going to be and of course if I'm able to find all needed raw materials.

As for the suggestion:

as said, I got some meals prepared to boost my priestes' affinity, as well as what I call "travel meals". Which are for general use to fill in the gaps when the affinity timers run out. Or to be used by others who're working at the tunnel.
So perhaps it might be an idea to plant a larder somewhere, lock it and give permissions to those who're mining to drop and take food out of it.

Having food nearby may make working at the tunnel a bit easier. Especially when a path is constructed near it, as that would take some more time.
I got the lead lumps and locks already done, and I think I got the nails stored somewhere  too. Tomorrow my main can create the needed wooden items and even imp the thing high enough to keep the food "fresh" for a while.

Thorin :)

We do need a safe space to drop communal materials, I reckon.

I'm coming over tomorrow with a crate of ribbons and a crate of logs for the Enlightened One's beam-making enterprises.

And now I know Thorin's in the mix, and that he apparently likes chopped veggies for some weird reason, I'll bring a crate of those over too.

If it's not obvious where's a good place to unload, I'll just leave them somewhere in the tunnel, probably near the western end, and hope whoever needs them finds them.

After looking, you will need to work around the "future lighthouse". It is housing a source spring and I'm sure the building owner will not take the structure down. Your only option would be to deed there & put the perimeter over the building and wait months for it to collapse. It will be easier to build around it.

When I get my check cashed & repremium my priest, I will bring him over & widen the tunnel entrance. Once we get areas ready, I can go ahead and cast strongwall. 

I, personally, would make a 5-tile wide tunnel with 2-wide above-water highway and a 3-wide water canal. I do not see any real reason to make it deep enough for all boats, as the only way to get from there to the open sea is through several canals that are knarr-only. This would also speed construction along. If you're good with it, I will start with the highway on the south side of the tunnel. I plan on leaving ore tiles whenever possible until the main tunnel is finished.

Edited by zethreal

3 hours ago, zethreal said:

After looking, you will need to work around the "future lighthouse". It is housing a source spring and I'm sure the building owner will not take the structure down. Your only option would be to deed there & put the perimeter over the building and wait months for it to collapse. It will be easier to build around it.

When I get my check cashed & repremium my priest, I will bring him over & widen the tunnel entrance. Once we get areas ready, I can go ahead and cast strongwall. 

I, personally, would make a 5-tile wide tunnel with 2-wide above-water highway and a 3-wide water canal. I do not see any real reason to make it deep enough for all boats, as the only way to get from there to the open sea is through several canals that are knarr-only. This would also speed construction along. If you're good with it, I will start with the highway on the south side of the tunnel. I plan on leaving ore tiles whenever possible until the main tunnel is finished.

The Darq Canal / Tunnel is indeed only suitable for Knarrs and smaller boats. However, if I'm not mistaken, the T&T canal / tunnel is suitable for larger ships. And I'm 100% certain the Ageless Lake tunnel is suitable for larger ships, as I've been one of the persons improving / renovating that tunnel a couple of years ago. The MK-tunnels and Fogshore are suitable for all ships as well, as I've traversed them both with a Cog.

So unless there are several passages at the eastern side of that lake to give settlers access to the sea over there, mining it out to maximum depth would be a good idea.
If the passages are there - and looking at the map it seems there are - mining out to a more shallow depth is a better option, however, biggest problem with that is to keep the center tile flat.

7 hours ago, Ajala said:

We do need a safe space to drop communal materials, I reckon.

I'm coming over tomorrow with a crate of ribbons and a crate of logs for the Enlightened One's beam-making enterprises.

And now I know Thorin's in the mix, and that he apparently likes chopped veggies for some weird reason, I'll bring a crate of those over too.

If it's not obvious where's a good place to unload, I'll just leave them somewhere in the tunnel, probably near the western end, and hope whoever needs them finds them.

Since I'm coming in through Darq Tunnel with the main and T&T tunnel wit the mining priestess, my priestess might as well drop a deed at the eastern side.

That'll give me a spot for the first altar and for dropping a larder for meals. Not to mention, it would creating a nice entrance a bit easier as well. :)

I'll give you - or any alt - the right permits so you can (un-)load / drop off / pick up what's needed.

As for the veggies, locks would be better, but they require a bit more work. The only reason I chopped veggies was to make sure my cook gained something out of this project too. ;) Still, your donation is highly apreciated as it makes strongwalling easier and less time consuming.

1 hour ago, Thorinoakshield said:

As for the veggies, locks would be better, but they require a bit more work. The only reason I chopped veggies was to make sure my cook gained something out of this project too. ;) Still, your donation is highly apreciated as it makes strongwalling easier and less time consuming.

Ah, I'll bear that in mind next time I hit that low-ql iron vein. 

For now, I've dumped the three crates at the western entrance.

1 hour ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Since I'm coming in through Darq Tunnel with the main and T&T tunnel wit the mining priestess, my priestess might as well drop a deed at the eastern side.

I think you might mean western.

1 hour ago, Ajala said:

I think you might mean western.

Yup, you're correct. Sorry 'bout the confusion.

7 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

That'll give me a spot for the first altar and for dropping a larder for meals. Not to mention, it would creating a nice entrance a bit easier as well. :)

I'm pretty sure my house that is still up(My deed at the Eastern entrance , Fraggle Rock disbanded.) Is far enough away from the tunnel entrance that it wont be a problem. My house is right next to the docks on Fraggle Lake.  If I need to I can sail someone across the server line to demolish the house. There are forges in the house that I can add someone to the house to grab if needed. and Beds :P

We had grand plans for the area and connecting tunnels/canals. We did a tunnel in the eastern inner bay(Doozer Tunnel) to connect to the lake, then we mined a passage from the inner lake(Sprocket Canal) to connect to Fraggle Lake.  It's only knarr deep because at the time, you couldn't surface mine low enough for all boats.

I'm happy to see Fraggle Tunnel and Fraggle Lake getting some love.

21 minutes ago, Ohana said:

I'm pretty sure my house that is still up(My deed at the Eastern entrance , Fraggle Rock disbanded.) Is far enough away from the tunnel entrance that it wont be a problem. My house is right next to the docks on Fraggle Lake.  If I need to I can sail someone across the server line to demolish the house. There are forges in the house that I can add someone to the house to grab if needed. and Beds :P

We had grand plans for the area and connecting tunnels/canals. We did a tunnel in the eastern inner bay(Doozer Tunnel) to connect to the lake, then we mined a passage from the inner lake(Sprocket Canal) to connect to Fraggle Lake.  It's only knarr deep because at the time, you couldn't surface mine low enough for all boats.

I'm happy to see Fraggle Tunnel and Fraggle Lake getting some love.

I think I ran into that the other night. From the entrance, almost due south there's a hill. I went up & ran into a ton of stables... then went down the other side where I found 1 building, 2 or 3 carts & forges and a few beds sitting outside.

If you were going to demolish the building, you could instead transfer it to me? I was considering a small deed & having 1 structure already would help. I'll build an inn for the other people that come to help to make it a bit more "livable".

I can add you to manage tonight.  I won't be able to sail anyone over till later in the week.  Maybe as late as next Tuesday.  Want name do you want added to manage? I'll try to sail some one across the border sooner then that. 

They're are a few supplies in the bsbs also.  And a lot of  small crates. In not sure who the owners are on the vehicles I'll check also.

Any time will be fine. The name would be "zethreal". I won't have a ton of time for the next few days.

I'm planning on throwing a deed down on the old stables & taking them down to build a small Inn & warehouse as long as you don't have any issues with it. I know it's disbanded, but I don't want to destroy something that you might want to come back to.

I enjoyed my time e on Xanadu and the fragile rock deed and the work on the access to the beautiful fraggle Lake. But my alliance mates returned to pristine. So I did also.  I hung on to it because I love the deed and location.  Fraggle will always be a work of love  but I moved on.  

Yes, please make use of the area.  I would rather see it have a use then be completely abandoned. 

Fraggle Rock? I love it. We should keep the name.

• Like 1