Sign in to follow this  
Sindusk

Rite Spell Improvements

I'm not actually making a suggestion here, but instead looking for suggestions. I don't really have much experience with the current iteration of Rite spells. For those who are familiar with how they operate or have casted them in the past, please answer the following questions for me:

• Rite of Spring seems to be the only spell frequently casted. What new mechanics would you recommend for Ritual of the Sun and Holy Crop to make them more appealing?
  • There appears to be spans of months between casts. What is the main factor preventing casting more frequently? Is it the organizing a group for linking, or the fact that the spell isn't available enough?
  • Do you feel the current iteration of Rite spells fits the niche they are meant to fill? For example, does Holy Crop feel like it helps Fo priests and farmers? If not, do you have any suggestions for ways to make them more rewarding to cast?

Any comments regarding Rites are welcome. Also, for those on PvP servers, comments on Rite of Death are also appreciated.

• Like 4

I cast Holy Crop on Elevation a few years ago and I don't think anyone has cast it on epic since. It was easy to organise a group to cast it, and the idea of having several priests come to together to cast a ritual seems pretty cool. The mechanic of praying to replenish the deity favour is also good, IMO.

The problem was the effect is not very useful. It's easy to farm large quantities of crops. By contrast, sleep bonus is a scarce and valuable resource. So it is no surprise that Rite of Spring is cast so frequently.

If it was up to me, I'd have it spawn thorn bushes all over the place, but I imagine there might be some objections. Maybe a server-wide Wild Growth/Genesis cast or something like that. Fo is the god of forests/animals/etc. so makes sense his rite would do something like that.

Rite of Death is fine in my opinion. However, I think it is strange that Land of the Dead doesn't use deity favour.

Yea, i think its just the difference in how good they are, the vyn one is too good compared to the other ones, i dont know about nerfing the vyn one but more so to bring the others up to vyns standard in other ways. (Rite of death excluded, but its a pvp spell that has to be timed with a great attack on enemies at the same time as its casted, we did this once on epic and it was a great sight)

I am not sure how to bring the others up to Vyns rite.

Perhaps make them give 50% more of the stats they give? (as it is now they give what .1 or 0.01?, so make the non vyn/rite of death ones give 0.15 or 0.015(whichever it is))

Or the Fo one doubles all Farm/forestry yields for all followers for a set amount of time (say an hour) with a max cap on it so you dont get like 40 from a single field.

Mag one give better quality ores?

Edit: i think the timers are fine if the other spells are brought up abit, make them a thing for the community to come and accomplish something together.

Edited by Orlaz

Rituals are a mess.  They require an incredible number of prayers/sermons to recharge them, they only recharge for the one god, they have arbitrary mechanics that tend to only benefit the one god's worshippers, and generally speaking only Rite of Spring is even worth casting.  Half of them were also developed with concepts of territory control and PVP in mind, meaning that ROTS and ROD have very little use on Freedom, other problems aside--Wurm has moved past folks having secured belongings offdeed, and you obviously don't need to be headshotting all online players on Freedom.

Rite of Spring is just silly.  Like with her follower bonus of +10% to all normal skillgain, as long as Wurm is Wurm you aren't going to beat something like tons of sleep bonus and a fixed boost to mind logic.  It's yet another reason why non-priest characters should always be with Vynora.

The biggest problem with Ritual of the Sun is that Magranon was a one-trick pony on Freedom, so nobody worships him now that strongwall has proliferated to priests who do more interesting things than collect a euro tax to fix your cave troubles.  My circle of friends has been the only people to ever cast ROTS on Exodus, and even with a big computer-stressing pile of Mag-worshipping alts praying day and night all weekend, we couldn't recharge it.  Also, you can use a Mag alt to finish altars and blanket an area with Mag domain, gaining the entirety of this ritual's benefit with no further commitment on your part.

Holy Crop is so very underwhelming.  I'm not really sure why you'd ever bother casting it beyond some sort of perceived prestige from having your name in area history, given its domain requirement.  Like ROTS, you can just use an alt to plop down Fo altars and reap all its benefits without so much as a single prayer to help recharge it.  I feel it should do something like applying a spell effect to all online followers that gives them increased yield for 24 hours, but even that only benefits farmers and other gatherers.

Rite of Death is a joke.  Even with a 99-channeling priest casting it with only one link (thanks to the half-favor title), the head wound was not even worth considering as any sort of an offensive/defensive measure, and was primarily used for an online check.

I'd just gut the system and reimagine the whole thing at this point.  It'd be hard to do worse than "literally nothing", which is what the rituals amount to for almost everyone.

• Like 10

Would like to see them become a monthly or bi-monthly event / gathering. Sb refill once a month isn’t crazy. (Although I suppose someone could get it almost weekly if servers coordinated on bi-monthly, even then though still not sure it’s a problem)

Lets get the others up to speed, perhaps a Wurm month or some reasonable time frame for half speed timers on planting, sowing, harvesting, picking sprouts, etc. or making everything harvestable for Wurm week could be cool. (Including all planted crops) for fo followers only 

/me shrugs 

that might be a little over powered. Up to devs I suppose. 

Edited by Xor

While I am a Vyn for life......I do think our rite is much better than the others.  The others should be improved.  While I know folks just want to be able to cast RoS for the sleep bonus, I think the mind logic is just as good.  I would love to see all of the rites give their followers sleep bonus.  I don't see why it shouldn't.  I do think that each priest should only be able to cast one of these spells.  I think I remember some of them having the ability to cast more than that.  The extra add in bonus is something I'm not sure about.  For me, I like stats so if I was another priest I would love to see that.  But maybe some of the other suggestions here would be better.

I would like to see the change that it goes to people online or offline so that it won't be such an issue.  Some folks casting without warning is well something that one person started and now all the folks that griped about it are doing the same thing.  If we make it so it will help those online or offline on the same server, it might make this less of a problem.

Considering how very few people are closly familiar with those mechanics and how rarely they are used perhaps is better to totally dump them and make room for something completely new and better. My only experience with them is that I often didn't had chance to get mind logic from RoS cuz i Had no idea if someone is casting and when will cast be...

Noizhead's points are all very good.

That's pretty much all I've got to say, except that I hope the newer requirements aren't overcorrected and we don't wind up with another Yellowfinger situation.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 1:00 PM, Sindusk said:
  • Rite of Spring seems to be the only spell frequently casted. What new mechanics would you recommend for Ritual of the Sun and Holy Crop to make them more appealing?
  • There appears to be spans of months between casts. What is the main factor preventing casting more frequently? Is it the organizing a group for linking, or the fact that the spell isn't available enough?
  • Do you feel the current iteration of Rite spells fits the niche they are meant to fill? For example, does Holy Crop feel like it helps Fo priests and farmers? If not, do you have any suggestions for ways to make them more rewarding to cast?

One idea i had is having Holy Crop give all Fo followers a long (maybe a day or even week-long) temporary affinity in nature-related skills and possibly something like the noob buffs (reduced aggro and increased healing). For mag it could be a timed affinity for mining and fighting-related skills + CR buff (like you get from the potions) . It's really hard to come up with bonuses that are comparable to 5hr of SB in usefulness tbh.

The main limit is always the 1k god-favor per follower i think.

On a sidenote - if the bonuses/sb also applied to offline players it would reduce the amount of drama related to people "ninja-casting" them by a few orders of magnitude.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bdew said:

On a sidenote - if the bonuses/sb also applied to offline players it would reduce the amount of drama related to people "ninja-casting" them by a few orders of magnitude.

This +1

Personally I'd like to see the Fo one do a server wide Genesis - far more useful than holy crop

• Like 4

It’s been stated already in this thread but I’d like to re-emphasize an important point: 

The current system punishes you for trying to do good and let others know you’re casting Rite of Spring.  A few weeeks back on Indy it was available.  We announced it was incoming so people would log their Vyn alts in. So that others could benefit; not just us. By doing so, we changed the favor math and the Rite was no longer available (and hasn’t been since).

A junk mechanic that begs for change please :)

• Like 4

Vyn casts of RoS seem to be fewer lately I suspect it's that there remains a high follwer count but the prayers were mainly the priests many of whom have switched.Though it is still cast it's more often the Nahjo cast lately.

Being said a few time, the ninja casting of the only decent spell is a mess, specially with the 'prems in local' checks not working.

The praying / sermoning to recharge the spells is way too much of an overkill these days, tweaking it down would be nice, specially due to the first point.

I don't think the fo / mag / (lib?) rituals grant their followers some stats like the vyn does. Making them inline with each others would be nice.

3 hours ago, Finndar said:

It’s been stated already in this thread but I’d like to re-emphasize an important point: 

The current system punishes you for trying to do good and let others know you’re casting Rite of Spring.  A few weeeks back on Indy it was available.  We announced it was incoming so people would log their Vyn alts in. So that others could benefit; not just us. By doing so, we changed the favor math and the Rite was no longer available (and hasn’t been since).

A junk mechanic that begs for change please :)

lol

friendships have been ruined over ros casts, its poor mechanics like all the other rites

i rather see a complete rework of this system, new benefits and new spells.

more focussed on you and your surrounding area and players . something like this

Rite spells:

-area of effect covert anyone online of offline in deed and 50 tiles area ( to make them work in no deed, though wont work when offline that only work for deed members when cast in deed).

- can do the spell as often as you want but it does nothing if untill your timer resets.

-cant do the spell more then once per month, effects last up to 2 weeks depending on spell power.

-200 favor... we dont need it to be as hard as it is now.

possible spells

standard:

skill gain 5%

speed gain to skills of 5%

yield + 10%

wall repair 2 hits

cure all sickness

Tome like effects:

it give you an ability for a the period set with limited charges.

stamina refresh 5 charges ( nice for climbing)

speed boosts 5 charges

aoe damage spell 5 charges

direct damage spell 5 charges

genesis 5 charges

strongwall 5 charges.

can disable these on pvp if needed.

maybe some funny ones too that are random to all gods like

50% bonus to climbing speed.

random 25% speed boosts to running

random yellow potion effects

need more spells but i would like to see the mechanic like that.

or maybe make pve casts alliance wide online or offline, would improve even further the need to be part of community. Hermits wouldnt benefit from community stuff since not being part of it unless they join alliance.

Maybe make some sort of requirement how many premium members are in alliance total to get the cast stronger. Like every 10 members gives X % or 1% more to cast power.

If this is an alliance only spell, then I'll guess that any alliance can cast it with not much of a requirement.  If that is the case, then will that stop another alliance from casting it right after that?  If not, that will cause more issues than the system we have now.

1 hour ago, Themystrix said:

or maybe make pve casts alliance wide online or offline, would improve even further the need to be part of community. Hermits wouldnt benefit from community stuff since not being part of it unless they join alliance.

Punishing players for playing solo and locking content for them if not part of group is terrible idea. Yeah it's mmo but you don't have to be social in it if you don't want. The only reward in games for being part of group should be fun for being in group, not advantage over solo players. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, kochinac said:

Punishing players for playing solo and locking content for them if not part of group is terrible idea. Yeah it's mmo but you don't have to be social in it if you don't want. The only reward in games for being part of group should be fun for being in group, not advantage over solo players. 

Aye, well i really didnt put much thought to it, just a idea i wanted to share and i didnt think it would be implemented like that, but as something to think about, maybe that gives more ideas for better ones tho.

and yes i did realize there could be alliances who lock the spell for themselfs, but also that could courage for 1 massive alliance, just maybe.

Figured, it would be immersive tho, when looking back at history there was those loners who wasnt part of kingdom or community so they wouldnt benefit from it at all, but had to be self sufficient. :)

We already have one massive alliance.  It is called servers.  The only difference is we do not have to set up permissions or deny permissions for everyone else.