Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDad543

Interactive music

I've thought from the beginning how odd it seems that the music is so out of place most of the time. Perhaps games like Elder scrolls /skyrim and others have me spoiled, but I'd really like to see, well, hear interactive music. 

What I mean by this is let's say you start fighting a troll or a dragon or even a pig. The music should reflect that. Ya it's sorta makes sense for everyone to hear the same music at the same time but interactive music tracks really should be added. 

So when should these different music tracks play? Well, when targeting or being targeted. Maybe when sailing (which should also be a skill in itself btw), when trading, meditating, and any other action that takes longer than say 60 seconds. 

• Like 2

+1  

Most games benefit from some kind of Adaptive Music - a variety of music tracks that play at different stages or during distinct activities in the game.

Interactive Music is more complex - it can include sound effects and musical themes which play when the player performs any action, and musical motifs which fade in and out as you engage with a new animal or person - these need to be synchronised to play in tempo and harmony with the current soundtrack.  This soundtrack itself may well evolve and change as the player passes through different stages in the game.

+1 to both kinds, if done well the whole thing should be seamless and almost unnoticeable - anything too outstanding or fanfare would quickly become a strain on the ear and be turned off.

Good luck to whoever takes this on, it would be good to hear.

Edited by Muse

+1

It makes me a little crazy how suddenly the music will start randomly and seem so out of place after long periods of silence.

A calm melody while farming

Mellow violins while harvesting

A bass solo while blacksmithing

A vibrant jig while consuming alcohol with the new updated parameters...

*Random 80's music plays while picking cotton*

• Like 3

Not my cup of tea as I do not listen to music in game at all, nor do ANY of the people i play with.

So not sure if it is worth spending too much time on.

• Like 1