Sign in to follow this  
masterqgj

Looking for hints and suggestions for making a large tunnel from mountaintops to lowest area

Hello,

i plan to make a deed high on a mountain, since i am able to reach it only using exessive ammounts of climbing i want to get a tunnel from the lowest part of the mountain to the top. But before i start i want to make sure to make as little errors as possible so i want to get some advice for what i should keep an eye out (e.g. "create no drop shafts" and such. Or does it sum up with a simple and straight "mine down as far as you can, turn around if needed"?

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions :)

Edited by masterqgj

1) Have a priest with collapsing ability available (strongwall)

2) HAVE A PRIEST WITH STRONGWALL

3) Map all mine systems (that you know about) in a careful tile-by-tile based sheet, map the route you've mined.

4) Serpentine mine. Back and forth as far as you can go before getting errors about surface or other similar ones.

5) Oh, did I mention to have a priest with strongwall on hand? Do that.

6) Oh, also prepare lots of materials to sacrifice for the priest.

Basically, it's trial and error. You will be casting strongwall on strongwall until you're dead tired of the spell. You will guaranteed mis-count tiles, which will cost you even more strongwalls. Don't even get me started on connecting up mines from top and bottom. At least if you mine top down you know to stop when you reach water level. You will be blocked by a million (sandstone)veins. You will curse veins until the end of your days, but do remember if you have to go around a vein, that's an extra tile that your next serpentine will have go out, making the path take even more space.

Which is why counting tiles and mapping is important.

Oh, and don't be too surprised if you fall off the mountain a few times. Accidental mine entrances happen.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Hey Jberg,

thanks, that are already good advices to work with. For e.g. it is quite "clear", but honestly i didn't even think about it until you mentioned it, to make sure when working "around" a vein, that you have to calculate that in the next serpentine too... :)

My first advice is to read carefully what Jberg told. I've never succeeded without a strongwalling priest.

Make sure both exists are valid and at good locations.

Start from the top - you can only mine 20 slopes up or down but can walk on 23 slopes. So start from the top, mine down, then make mine down the lower corners to get 23 slopes down. It will spare you 10% of the total length.

Be prepared for veins - you'll need to be able to detour, mine them away or get rid of them using Path of Power lava and freeze on the surface.

Open the lower exit from the inside - that way you don't necessarily get an antrance which srops 20 slopes on the first tile (or concrete back up if needed).

Thanks to you too Jaz,

any good ideas or hints on how to "easily" count the tiles i need to mine? i mean, i have had to climb like 50 tiles using fences to get up there, so it is kinda hard to count the tiles needed to get down :)

38 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Start from the top - you can only mine 20 slopes up or down but can walk on 23 slopes. So start from the top, mine down, then make mine down the lower corners to get 23 slopes down. It will spare you 10% of the total length.

Also might be worth remembering you can ride on 40 slopes. But, this is best not used unless you are very sure you will never need to walk up/down the tunnel or space is very restricted.

With a serpentine mine, you can make use of drop shafts to provide a quick route down.

54 minutes ago, Jberg said:

3) Map all mine systems (that you know about) in a careful tile-by-tile based sheet, map the route you've mined.

This can't be stressed enough - there is reasonable chance that somebody else has already been there before, and there may well be a partly collapsed tunnel system to the top. By joining the surviving sections together you might be able to save yourself a lot of mining. But, you will have to deal with all the veins that have collapsed into the tunnel - probably with no option of mining to the sides if the previous miner created a serpentine mine.

Add up the slopes when you climb to see how high you are *giggles*. That way you can get the approximate tiles you have to mine down (height/20) and may help to plan the tunnel.

Think ahead, where your actual mine will be on the top deed to avoid any later "beat your own head with a stick" moments.

Check the foot of the mountain where your tunnel will open up, if you spot any possible abandoned deed sites. Be very afraid of possibly hidden reinforced tiles.

If you want to have catseye'd highway there at any point in the future, it has to be 2 tiles wide. Consider this when doing serpentine tunnels. 

All what Jberg and others said, with emphasis of having a friendly strongwall priest at hand.

Do not reinforce anything before it is in final form. 

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I really appreciate this. Now it is time to settle down with my mates, look for the exact deed place and plan the tunnels. I to fear, that we habe to make it "the hard way" at several occasions, since i know of some mines in the mountains, but i cannot catalogize them since i do not have access or they are partially collapsed. A hard time is ahead of us, but i think with all the suggestions it should be possible :).

Thanks again!

Very good suggestions , i made such a tunnel several years ago , but hit surfac to early but its low enough so it works as i wanted, started from top and down, but i made the top entrance backwards , meaning facing the opening then i have the slopes behind. Took me at least 2 weeks of looking and planning before started the mining .

Feel free visit Celebration and have a look , i deeded it recently for highway purposes, the name is Tunnel and connected to tap dance.

You can also *peek* through the walls to look around if you set your cave graphics to "High" and then rub up against the side cave wall as you move around a bit. This way you can sometimes see old mined out tiles or shafts to then either connect to or attempt to avoid.

I liked to open both the top and bottom and then join them up somewhere by using this *peek* through method along with some tile counting and longer horizontal runs when there were too many older shafts blocking the way. Although it's great to have a strongwall priest I never did since I would need to pay for the work done by someone else.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I have a mountain top with two diffrent tunnels to the top.  The first one has been retired and is natiraly collapsing.  The secind is the one i prefer and can show you first hand the pros and cons of each design.  I am located on Deliverance.  If you dony want to travel or use the time to see it that is your digression.  But the amount if timed saved to look at it would save many days of wasted time.  

The only suggestion i have is don't be in a hurry to just get it open.  The amount of work to go back and make it look nice is far greater then doing it right as you maje it.  A mistake i am regretting now.  I tgought i was doing it right but the stuff you learn as you go is mind boggling.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:12 AM, Ayes said:

You can also *peek* through the walls to look around if you set your cave graphics to "High" and then rub up against the side cave wall as you move around a bit. This way you can sometimes see old mined out tiles or shafts to then either connect to or attempt to avoid.

I liked to open both the top and bottom and then join them up somewhere by using this *peek* through method along with some tile counting and longer horizontal runs when there were too many older shafts blocking the way. Although it's great to have a strongwall priest I never did since I would need to pay for the work done by someone else.

=Ayes=

This is what i do also.

• Like 1

Thank you again everyone, we were able to finish our tunnel a few days ago and it went very smoothly. We even had luck and only 5 Veins were in the path in a way we had to remove them. In every other case we were able to mine around the veins without making our plan to "sloppy". We have lots of work to do now to increase the tunnel to 2 fields wide and reinforce the walls after we increased its height and made the slopes even and such, but the most important work is done now and we again have access to clay, tar and such, which we had to get up via climbing until now :)

Again, my thanks to all for your hints and suggestions!

• Like 2