Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Smoother imping process

Hey, all.  I spend a lot of time improving my tools (as I'm sure we all do), and have noticed an easy way to make the process smoother.  Whenever we have that little IMP symbol at the right of our tool info which shows what item to use to improve the tool (log, lump, whetstone, etc), we should be able to activate that item in our inventory, "shift-left-click" on the tool (or some other key combo), and the program should know that we want to improve the tool with the item we have activated.

As it is currently, after selecting the item to improve with (log, lump, etc), we then need to right-click on the tool to bring up the context menu, and then select either "temper" or "hammer" or "sharpen" or whatever else we do with the item we have activated.  It's a little bothersome to have to hunt the menu for the command we are looking for, because the command changes with each improvement item we have activated.

Since the program is already telling us what is needed to make the next improvement, it should already know that we want to "temper" or "hammer" or "sharpen" or whatever else simply by the item we have activated in our inventory.  A simple "shift-left-click" would make the imping process so much smoother, especially when you consider that we can spend some two or three hours improving our inventory of tools in one sitting or when creating new tools from scratch.

Edited by Enlightened_One

Keybinds, friend. Close enough for "some other key combo" you mentioned, and it's already in the game.

Press F1, type "bind <key> improve".(Or go into settings and use the UI to bind your action.) Now activate the item to improve with, hover over the item to improve, and press the key you assigned the action to. Saves you the trouble with the context menu. On just about everything, really, you can bind Take, Drop, load, etc. to a button. Personally, I have G -> Improve, H->Repair, hover over my improvee and press GH as often as my mind logic allows if I have one item I'm really pushing.

Ontop of that, if you haven't already, you can get a toolbelt with at least 50QL, and put all tools you need into one arrangement. Buttons 1 to 5 are by default assigned to toolbelt activation, and improving never involves more than 5 items afaik, so that'll be just servicable to also cut out hunting down your tools in your inventory. Effectively allows you to imp one item without even using the mouse.

• Like 3

No way.  I'm using keybinds with dig, botanize, forage, and others, but never knew about "improve".  Yup, the newbie hat stays on after this one.  Thanks, Flubb.

• Like 1

Good list can be found here: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Key_bindings

You can keybind a LOT of actions. 

Edited by Trake