Sign in to follow this  
Sindusk

Current and future PvP works

Initial PvP changes

Starting with the next update, a new change to Locate Soul will be introduced to Chaos.

• PvP Change: Chaos server now has a maximum Locate Soul range of 500 tiles.

This change is specific to Chaos and will not affect Freedom or Epic.

Locate Soul’s intended usage is to give a general idea to the caster where their target is. This information can be used to track down a player off deed, identify that reinforcements are unavailable to assist them, and similar. These intentions are pure, and meant to encourage roaming to new places with the opportunity to find opponents in local, then track their location via Locate Soul, pendulums, etc.

Locate Soul’s actual usage is to triangulate exact positions of players using multiple reference points, keep tabs on opponents from halfway across the map, and spamming the spell to guarantee reliable information as to whether a target player is online through their Nolocate.

These two extremes are the result of a spell that has remained untouched for years. The problems with this paradigm is a meta of priests spamming locates from anywhere on the map and getting reliable intelligence with no cost. Hence the reason for the change.

This is step one in a larger shift for Locate Soul and locating players in general. Limiting the range should alleviate some of the problems with the current metagame, but not all. Locate Soul and Nolocate are still undergoing iteration and will have other, more dramatic changes in the near future.

This update will also include warrior god priests (Nathan, Smeagain) getting the double disintegration bonus equal to Magranon. The aim of this is to level the playing field for priests of all kingdoms and reduce the frustrating scenarios with RNG and safemines.

Background and future works

Along with this, in the next update, is a reworking of armour mechanics. This will make armour values easier to adjust in the future. Existing armour values are not being changed, but the background work is intended to make them easier to modify and adjust down the line.

After this update, the next focus will be on the long promised priest and spell overhaul. This overhaul will feature a balance pass on all 98 spells available to priests and review of priest restrictions to improve gameplay for solo and PvP priests. There’s more to it than just that, and we’ll be sharing more details over the coming weeks.

Once the priest and spell overhaul is live, we’ll begin looking at addressing other concerns within PvP such as tower capping and meditation. We know there’s a long road ahead of us to get PvP where we’d like it to be, and we know it will take time to get there. Our focus now is taking one step at a time, making sure it’s the right step, and then taking another step forward. We’ll continue to use the feature feedback forum for discussion on specific topics to allow for adjusting and improving our current plans if necessary, so please keep it all on topic and constructive.

• Like 24

Exciting times! Can't wait! :)

42 minutes ago, Hawkinson said:

Libila priest can take buff?

ur not even black light, wtf?

How does this encourage roaming? 

Why change the priests, if someone wanted the double bonus they had a choice of going mag, at this rate just make all the priests have the same spells.

8 hours ago, Sindusk said:

This update will also include warrior god priests (Nathan, Smeagain) getting the double disintegration bonus equal to Magranon. The aim of this is to level the playing field for priests of all kingdoms and reduce the frustrating scenarios with RNG and safemines. 

Is this change also Chaos-only?

Sin, awesome work, but a few want to know about the hota, horse, local and chaining points, still under talks or did you guys decide not to go for it? 

It wasn't mentioned so not sure if some things are just further down the line to mention

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

whatever you ###### do, leave that priests cannot craft or it will become another meta like shield of the gone.

or on the flip side, it will add an additional layer of customization to each pvp player, but fights will just be wizard 101 spellcasting the whole time

I don't even know if this was thought about as a change but it was just the first thing I immediately thought about when you used the term "changing solo priests" or whatever, makes it sound like you're going to give them less restrictions. 

12 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Background and future works

Along with this, in the next update, is a reworking of armour mechanics. This will make armour values easier to adjust in the future. Existing armour values are not being changed, but the background work is intended to make them easier to modify and adjust down the line.

Hmm, I will have to digest this line.

whatever you ###### do, leave that priests cannot craft or it will become another meta like shield of the gone.

or on the flip side, it will add an additional layer of customization to each pvp player, but fights will just be wizard 101 spellcasting the whole time

I don't even know if this was thought about as a change but it was just the first thing I immediately thought about when you used the term "changing solo priests" or whatever, makes it sound like you're going to give them less restrictions. 

Also this

Edited by FranktheTank

16 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Fixing spaghetti code. This makes my loins tingle. I'm super excited about these new possibilities. Sindusk for President 2020.

Sorry for the late response, been pretty sick today. Going to try and respond to all inquiries.

19 hours ago, Hawkinson said:

Libila priest can take buff?

I played as a Libila priest on PvP for over a year. I'm aware of the shortcomings and they will be addressed.

11 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

How does this encourage roaming? 

Why change the priests, if someone wanted the double bonus they had a choice of going mag, at this rate just make all the priests have the same spells.

The locate soul change encourages roaming because you can move around the map without being concerned that a player is going to know where you are 24/7. Anyone with a high profile name gets located constantly to identify their location. The moment they step off deed, people know. By implementing this limitation, it will at least give some wiggle room to allow players to operate around the restriction and move around the map. It's not a perfect solution, and I'll admit that. More changes will come to help remedy the situation further. As stated, it's just a first step.

11 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Is this change also Chaos-only?

No. The Disintegrate change will apply to all servers including Epic and Freedom.

11 hours ago, Mclavin said:

Sin, awesome work, but a few want to know about the hota, horse, local and chaining points, still under talks or did you guys decide not to go for it? 

It wasn't mentioned so not sure if some things are just further down the line to mention

This was answered in the original post in some regard. We don't want to go into too much detail on changes until they're closer to being ready for deployment to live. The priest rework is nearing completion and should enter testing relatively soon.

19 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Once the priest and spell overhaul is live, we’ll begin looking at addressing other concerns within PvP such as tower capping and meditation.

6 hours ago, Cornchips said:

Priests are not having all restrictions lifted, just some. As of this moment there are no plans to allow priests to improve items, so crafters and priests should remain separate.

• Like 4

A friend of mine just wanted to say:

"The problem with the locate soul spell was not related to the amount of locates or the distance, but that every priest could now do it, whereas only vynora and lib priests could before."

• Like 2

lets take a moment to appreciate what sindusk is doing for the pvp community, i honestly believe that if he had not become dev we would still have no words from the dev team and the status quo would have persisted until the pvp community had completely died out.

Sindusk. thx you for the update. thx you and all the devs for what ya do. 
back to med rug... this fail run will end soon... 6days so far...

I wonder if removing locate soul entirely from pvp servers would encourage roaming, rather than changing how it works. I don't say this to demean any dev efforts here. It just doesn't entirely compute for me. I would think allowing a mechanic so a player could find their own corpse but nothing more would help with the roaming issue. with locate soul in the game at all, it's not so much roaming as it is seek and destroy(attempt to destroy).

8 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

A friend of mine just wanted to say:

"The problem with the locate soul spell was not related to the amount of locates or the distance, but that every priest could now do it, whereas only vynora and lib priests could before."

our capital spam priest is vyn titled half favor 98 channeling and doesn't leave it's spot, we would rename him RADAR if we could. This 90% of the time tells us weather it's worth leaving our spots or not. 

So distance/amount of locates is an issue and has been since i've been on chaos, except it's worked mostly in my favour.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

It's refreshing to see a post like this and know changes are on the horizon.

Well done!

• Like 4

I am enjoying the 500 tile locate soul change. I have been roaming for a week or two now on Chaos and this is very encouraging. If I die/kill, I still have the ability to roam without surveillance until I am near someone again.

DA

• Like 4

Encourage more roaming in pvp. We are free souls, staying behind hops only obstructs our freedom.

Freedom is the only thing worth dying for.