Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Item sink: disassembling for skillgain

Since item sinks seem to be on the developer's minds, why not encourage players to remove items from the world, by allowing them to disassemble items for skillgain? From a "lore" perspective, you're disassembling something to learn more about it.

I can see it working something like this:

- Disassembling is performed with a tool, say, a hammer on a glowing hot metal item, a carving knife on a wood item, a chisel on a stone item, etc. That allows CoC to be used.

- The action is much like the inverse of repairing: one long action, punctuated by QL reduction and skill ticks.

- Higher QL items take longer to disassemble, and thus give more skill ticks.

- Items, of course, give skill in the skill used to make them (so disassembling a longsword gives weaponsmithing).

- Skillgain rate is exactly the same as imping (it needs to be worth doing).

- Disassembling rare items could give more skill ticks (since they should take longer to reduce).

I realize that the above might not actually result in removing items from the world if players reduce items to near-zero QL, and then stop to re-imp them. It -would- mean fewer items created for skilling grinds, however.

If that's a problem, then the actions could be designed to only give skillgain on destruction of the item. Timer length/skill tick size would need to be long/big enough to be worth doing.

Couple uncertainties:

- I don't know how to involve the difficulty system on Freedom.

- I'm not sure about leaving behind lumps/scrap/etc.

One way or another, I think introducing that kind of item sink would be economically interesting. :) I could see people selling bulk 80+ QL blank weapons, for instance...

• Like 4

This looks like a fantastic idea. It would need to be balanced of course, and perhaps adjusted after a trial run. But all the systems should already be in place to allow for something like this, as you are basically just reverse 'imping' an item, and code would just need to be written to 'remove' the item at the end of the de-imp.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea as first step to remove some of the items in game, but what about moonmetal/drake/scale stuff.... :)

On 7/23/2018 at 2:59 PM, Themystrix said:

Not a bad idea as first step to remove some of the items in game, but what about moonmetal/drake/scale stuff.... :)

If removing moonmetal/drake/scale is needed that badly, then at least in the context of this suggestion, provide uber-skillgain for disassembling those items.

I'm not sure I like that, might be more interesting (if more problematic) to provide a permanent bonus to a deed via saccing those items, or something like that.

Again, though, the basic idea is that item sinks should be fun. :)

all the stuff I  have broken in my chests , the stuff I cant sell , lets pull apart lets disassemble  shoulder pads, arm bracelets awesome old idea .don't even care if theres no skill gain, just a recycle somehow

What's wrong with smelting or sacrificing the stuff you don't need/want?

I'm sure a random giveaway in GL will work just fine to get rid of a few shoulderpads, and such..

IMO half idea.. breaking down to get ticks per ql.. is easy to abuse if ticks are that good.. to be worth doing this.

before asking wt.. some items are way easier to imp, and there's imbue potions, gg ez pz 100 titles wohoo.. meh

10 hours ago, Finnn said:

I'm sure a random giveaway in GL will work just fine to get rid of a few shoulderpads, and such..

IMO half idea.. breaking down to get ticks per ql.. is easy to abuse if ticks are that good.. to be worth doing this.

before asking wt.. some items are way easier to imp, and there's imbue potions, gg ez pz 100 titles wohoo.. meh

OP want easy skill grind, some crying about they lose their "hard" work of grind

Disassembling ships, carts and wagons should be a thing too.  But only if you own them AND it's on your deed.

2 hours ago, tamat said:

OP want easy skill grind, some crying about they lose their "hard" work of grind

Sure @tamatbut.. you can make some items at high ql.. you can imp some items to high ql.. dismantling such kind of eliminates the need to grind with the old way, wogic grind 2.0

ok lets take this into the game and abuse it, we'll party every 5min with new 100 titled players, should be fun, right?

^sarcasm, and no.. it's not toward you, it's for the idea itself and how current system works

On 3/10/2019 at 7:09 AM, Finnn said:

This isn't about what I don't need or want, but about the developers' desire to encourage players to get rid of stuff. At the same time, though, it adds a new market segment (which, since I'm on Epic, doesn't really affect me, but hey).

19 hours ago, tamat said:

I'm on Epic, did my grind already. :P

What's the incentive to break an item if skillgains wont be better than the skill making it?

And yet.. once you reach ql90 with 90 skill.. that item is invaluable for you.. as you get skill around 90 and not so much from 1 to 85~;

So why break it than?

If you just want to get rid of items.. sacrifice them, dump them on lava tile.. done and done, sell cheap, giveaways - done;

My 'against' here is the part where this pokes into several other systems and rubs the wrong way with the existing mechanics..

Say that ql1-10; 11-20, 21-30, etc.. give you Tier type dust or crystal or w/e piece.. that is usable for something else... breaking the QL xx gives you the YY resource.. for the ZZ new other item or mechanic or magic, imbue, rng, whatever... something different.. you just add more colors to the board that way, but giving ticks for dismantling is meh imo.. at best.. you get TINY incentive to break items laying around at decaying deed if you feel like it.. there's no incentive in wasting your time to make and item and break it for few ticks, you'll get worse and worse ticks as you demolish the QL down.. and raising it just just takes more time and tools to get it back to high + time..

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

What's the incentive to break an item if skillgains wont be better than the skill making it? 

This is simply about providing a "carrot" to players to reduce their item footprint. That's all. Again, this isn't about players wanting to get rid of items, it's about developers wanting to reduce the item count in the world (by something more fun, I hope, than shattering or decay).

We can quibble about implementation details, but unless we agree on the fundamental goal, this conversation will go nowhere. :)

If we -do- agree on the goal, then I'm not opposed to considering other ways to look at the problem, perhaps by making deed bonuses from saccing more interesting, or something. (At the least, removing/changing item creation missions would help a lot!)

Of course, if the developers don't care about item footprint, this is moot.

I like the idea, but direct skillticks might be a bit too much.

Why not work dismantling into the almanac/consumable system.

• Dismantle Item
  • Record Results (report QL = min(item ql,player skill)
  • Turn results into skillbook (1000 QL of reports per book, max 100 pages)
  • Once complete, skillbooks give a boost to ticks gained while held, taking damage each time a tick is given (soul stealer necklace code).
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I like the idea, but direct skillticks might be a bit too much.

Why not work dismantling into the almanac/consumable system.

• Dismantle Item
  • Record Results (report QL = min(item ql,player skill)
  • Turn results into skillbook (1000 QL of reports per book, max 100 pages)
  • Once complete, skillbooks give a boost to ticks gained while held, taking damage each time a tick is given (soul stealer necklace code).

A bit more convoluted, but makes way more sense than the direct skill gain and has much more potential.

I could throw in some additions and alterations I would personally suggest, but I feel like this one deserves its own thread. (Do it! :lol: )

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flubb said:

A bit more convoluted, but makes way more sense than the direct skill gain and has much more potential.

I could throw in some additions and alterations I would personally suggest, but I feel like this one deserves its own thread. (Do it! :lol: )

Yeah, awesome idea, ot definitely deaerves its own thread, please do post it @Etherdrifter:)