Sign in to follow this  
Vengus

Fractured, a new MMO in development which seems quite similar to Wurm.

Recommended Posts

Hey, a year ago, I came across a pretty interesting isometric MMO which is quite similiar to Wurm Online. I am making this post because I really really want their Kickstarter to succeed. I think they have some really cool ideas for players who like building games like us. :P Unfortunately, their Kickstarter is still about 14k euros short of reaching its goal, and we only have 5 days left to go. :( Btw, I have made a summary of the similarities and differences between Wurm and Fractured below.

 

You can find their website here.

You can find the Kickstarter here.

You can find my compilation thread with a lot of info here.

 

There are a lot of similarities between Wurm and Fractured. For example:

 

  • Players in Fractured can build houses and cities just like in Wurm, including trade routes, roads, etc. They seem to use a deed system similar to Wurm, with city plots being predefined but very plentyful and spread across the world. It's basically their way of handing the perimeter.
  • There are 3 different planets with 3 different rulesets. Arboreus is largely a safe PvE planet, syndesia is a PvP planet with a justice/guard system in place if the city owners so desire, and Tartaros is a lawless PvP planet. This reminds me a lot of the Freedom and Epic distinction we have in Wurm. Players can travel between planets, altough it can be quite difficult to do so, depending on where you're coming from and where you're going to.
  • Fractured has survival mechanics just like in Wurm, like hunger. Unlike Wurm, you don't have to worry about thirst in Fractured though, because the devs felt that it wouldn't add much gameplay with hunger already in place.
  • Full loot. When you die, you lose your stuff unless you retrieve it. The risk of dying will depend a lot on the planet you're on. Fractured's combat uses a downed system much like in GW2, and a lot of animals won't execute you once you're downed, so in that regard it's a bit safer than in Wurm. But obviously that depends on the planet you're on. If you're on Tartaros, you'll likely get ganked a lot whereas on Arboreus you're very safe.
  • Gods gods gods! Just like in Wurm, you can follow a god and gain bonuses like blessings, abilities, etc. I don't think you can become a priest like in Wurm, and you can't create your own religion. ? But other than that, it seems quite similar to me.
  • It's being developed for both solo players and group players. This is very important to me and why I didn't play a game like Life is Feudal. Games that require large groups to accomplish anything tend to be pretty hardcore and also tend to fail pretty quickly. I like the fact that the devs are developing Fractured with solo players in mind. They won't be able to create cities, but they buy their own plot to live as a hermit if they so desire.

 

Of course there are also some differences:
 

  • Fractured is a top down isometric MMO, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Personally I don't mind that because I love building games too much. :P
  • No modular building unless the community demands it. In wurm we can choose what our building look like, choose our wall designs, floors, roofs, etc. In Fractured you will build your buildings by using blueprints. With that said, they did say they will consider creating a modular building system if the playerbase desires it, and judging by the building video they released, the system actually seems to lend itself pretty well to a Wurm-style modular building system. The house in that video could easily be a 3x3 building, so I don't see why they shouldn't implement modular building.
  • Progression is horizontal. In Wurm we grind our asses off for 1 skill gain tick, in Fractured you gather knowledge through exploration and tasks. I don't know how long it will take to get the building materials for building a city though, but I don't think we'll have to grind like 7.000 bricks and mortal just make a bridge. ? Armor is horizontal as well, there are no armor tiers. Now obviously there are differences between cloth and plate, but you won't have a tier 1 plate set, tier 2 plate set, tier 3 plate set, etc.
  • Fractured has a bunch of different races. In Wurm we're all human, in Fractured you can choose between Humans, Demons and Beastmen. Each race is tied to a planet. Humans on Syndesia, Beastmen on Arboreus and Demons on Tartaros. This might be an issue for some players who like one race but want to live on a different planet. Beastmen can also live on Syndesia, but other than that you can only live on your own planet. There are a few exceptions though. Beastmen can go evil and live permanently on Tartaros while Demons can redeem themselves (and turn into Angels), which allows them to live permanently on Syndesia and maybe on Arboreus.
  • Different combat systems. Fractured being a MMOARPG has a combat system much like Diablo, PoE and MOBAs. You can gather abilities that belong to various spell/physical schools through the Knowledge system and create your own build. Also, you will assign attribute points to your character on character creation that will affect combat and non-combat stuff.
  • Environmental interactions. This is really really cool, one of the biggest reasons why I like the idea of Fractured. Your abilities interact with the environment. For example: You can electrify or freeze water, set trees on fire, etc. It's something I really miss in games, games like GW2 have some interactions, but those interactions aren't very organic. Same with games like Skyrim where you can set oil on fire but not much else.
  • No terraforming like in Wurm where you can level/raise the ground. You can cut trees and stuff like that though, so unless you really love to dig, this shouldn't be much of an issue.
  • Some survival mechanics that you won't find in Wurm, like temperatures. For example, If you're planning to go to a very cold location, you will have wear warm clothing to survive the environment.
  • Actual PvE and PvP content like open-world dungeons, events, city conquests on Tartaros and Syndesia (not Arboreus), etc.
  • No sailing, altough this might come in an expansion.

 

Edited by Vengus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full Release Scheduled for Q3 2021, just a little bit early to get excited.

Looks like they have a good idea, but that's about all it is right now.

 

Horizontal skills/gear means there isn't really much thing as "progression" in the usual sense. Outside of arena shooters/mobas and other instanced quick round skill based games that probably wont hold your attention for much longer than a couple months.

Edited by Kerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of that one other game that @Oreoplays.

 

Sharing base concepts of hunger, building, and full loot pvp does not really make them equate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also novus inceptio uses same skill trees but have 2d/3d view... wurm wins :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this like Wurm Online?  It's not even a sandbox and you can't modify the game map like you can with Wurm Online.  Don't like that mountain in your way?  Take it down.  No house blueprints either.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always enjoy reading opinions (thank you Brash_Endeavours) about new games and I have viewed the links given by Vengus.

 

I can see from these that they personally have put a huge amount of time and effort into supporting Fractured and it is obvious that they can see great potential there.

 

It will take a lot to entice me to move away from Wurm (either format) but I wish Vengus et al good fortune with the game. I also hope that investors in the Fractured will see a finished game for their money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

How is this like Wurm Online?  It's not even a sandbox and you can't modify the game map like you can with Wurm Online.  Don't like that mountain in your way?  Take it down.  No house blueprints either.

Well yeah, if you like to terraform and flatten mountains, Fractured won't be your type of game. :P Personally, what I like the most about Wurm is the building aspect and populating a pristine world, and Fractured is about that as well. House blueprints are still up to discussion from what I understand. If the fanbase wants modular building, they will implement a building system similar to Wurm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vengus said:

Well yeah, if you like to terraform and flatten mountains, Fractured won't be your type of game. :P Personally, what I like the most about Wurm is the building aspect and populating a pristine world, and Fractured is about that as well. House blueprints are still up to discussion from what I understand. If the fanbase wants modular building, they will implement a building system similar to Wurm.

 

Ya, looks like it could be a neat game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks cool, but like many other games I've looked at, aside from some whizzy graphics, the features necessary to directly compete with wurm are 'coming soon'.  Could be a really neat game, assuming it survives and the development schedule is accurate, in some years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds like a fun game, but I love the sandbox aspect of wurm. And the time and money I've put into the game makes me unwilling to try another. Maybe it's just being stubborn. But I'll stay with wurm for quite awhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 7:09 AM, Spolmit said:

I always enjoy reading opinions (thank you Brash_Endeavours) about new games and I have viewed the links given by Vengus. 

 

Lol, I remember Greed Monger too....***

Not saying this one will have problems, it doesn't seem to have so many red flags,  I just ...  still remember  ... Greed Monger, which I am guessing is what Spolmit refers to .. 

However, my main problem with Fractured is, after reading very convoluted text on their website, it seems "PvE" players can still get griefed, ganked and looted by "PvP" players, which is an instant deal-killer for me.

Plus, I am no longer willing to invest in little known game developers unless I see up front some pretty compelling track records. 

However, if CodeCLub ever announces a Wurm2.0 Kickstarter, yah I'll probably invest in that :D

 

 

 

>>"This reminds me a lot of the Freedom and Epic distinction we have in Wurm"  

Not exactly. You might live on different planets, but you can still travel between them. 

In Wurm, PvP players cannot travel over to gank PvE players (Even though Rolf tried to do that in Wurm once, back in 2010 or so, till he lost half his staff & playerbase over the issue).

In Fractured, according to their own FAQ, the ganking player gets labelled as an 'Aggressive" player and gets a reputation and time limitations for how long they can stay -- but they can still gank kill & loot PvE players.

Or as MassivelyOP explains,  ""The game will run with a karma and alignment flagging system with all kinds of rules to keep the ganking in check. Players who flag good can’t harm other good players, but players who flag neutral and evil can screw with everyone at the cost of their own karma (and good players can kill them at will).""

 

Sorry, I don't consider a game that says "well, if they DO kill you, you now have the right to kill them right back!" to be anything remotely close to PvE.

Nothing like Epic v Freedom. 

 

 

 

Anyway, good luck to everyone developing & following Fractured, players and devs alike. 

 

 

 

 

(***PS: For those who enjoy following the never-ending entrepreneur activities of the very colorful  Mr. Jason Appleton, he briefly was involved with a swingers/wife swapping A&E reality show called Neighbors With Benefits (cancelled before his segment aired) so now he has moved on to explaining how YOU TOO can make a million dollars from a mere $1 thousand investment in his new cryptocurrency empire, CryptoCrow.  Plus, if you just want to give him money, no strings attached, you can now do that too. He is also clearly still "buying" likes and followers just like he later admitted doing with Greed Monger.  One thing that particularly disgusts me in this video though, is how he insists what a wonderful opportunity for struggling single parents to take care of their children, by investing all of their savings into his cryptocurrency program.  Related,  he recently announced he was going to repay everyone who invested into Greed Monger, but it turned out to be, he was actually trying to get them to get involved in his new cryptocurrency project, and most people I have seen online says they never saw a penny of their Greed Monger money despite his multiple press releases insisting he was repaying everyone .  In fact, he actually linked to his repayment spreadsheet and it's pretty entertaining on its own.   Apparently, his rep with GM was following him into his many other 'entrepreneur businesses' so claiming to have a repayment program was considered the same as actually repaying people, go figure.

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans of Wurm are very particular and touchy when you compare their beloved to other games.

 

I can absolutely see similarities, enough to think to myself "I like Wurm, I *might* like this."

 

I look forward to its release, not as another Wurm / Wurm replacement, but as another game I might enjoy. Thanks for sharing, Vengus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

 

Lol, I remember Greed Monger too....***

Not saying this one will have problems, it doesn't seem to have so many red flags,  I just ...  still remember  ... Greed Monger, which I am guessing is what Spolmit refers to .. 

However, my main problem with Fractured is, after reading very convoluted text on their website, it seems "PvE" players can still get griefed, ganked and looted by "PvP" players, which is an instant deal-killer for me.

Plus, I am no longer willing to invest in little known game developers unless I see up front some pretty compelling track records. 

However, if CodeCLub ever announces a Wurm2.0 Kickstarter, yah I'll probably invest in that :D

 

 

 

>>"This reminds me a lot of the Freedom and Epic distinction we have in Wurm"  

Not exactly. You might live on different planets, but you can still travel between them. 

In Wurm, PvP players cannot travel over to gank PvE players (Even though Rolf tried to do that in Wurm once, back in 2010 or so, till he lost half his staff & playerbase over the issue).

In Fractured, according to their own FAQ, the ganking player gets labelled as an 'Aggressive" player and gets a reputation and time limitations for how long they can stay -- but they can still gank kill & loot PvE players.

Or as MassivelyOP explains,  ""The game will run with a karma and alignment flagging system with all kinds of rules to keep the ganking in check. Players who flag good can’t harm other good players, but players who flag neutral and evil can screw with everyone at the cost of their own karma (and good players can kill them at will).""

 

Sorry, I don't consider a game that says "well, if they DO kill you, you now have the right to kill them right back!" to be anything remotely close to PvE.

Nothing like Epic v Freedom. 

 

 

 

Anyway, good luck to everyone developing & following Fractured, players and devs alike. 

 

 

 

 

(***PS: For those who enjoy following the never-ending entrepreneur activities of the very colorful  Mr. Jason Appleton, he briefly was involved with a swingers/wife swapping A&E reality show called Neighbors With Benefits (cancelled before his segment aired) so now he has moved on to explaining how YOU TOO can make a million dollars from a mere $1 thousand investment in his new cryptocurrency empire, CryptoCrow.  Plus, if you just want to give him money, no strings attached, you can now do that too. He is also clearly still "buying" likes and followers just like he later admitted doing with Greed Monger.  One thing that particularly disgusts me in this video though, is how he insists what a wonderful opportunity for struggling single parents to take care of their children, by investing all of their savings into his cryptocurrency program.  Related,  he recently announced he was going to repay everyone who invested into Greed Monger, but it turned out to be, he was actually trying to get them to get involved in his new cryptocurrency project, and most people I have seen online says they never saw a penny of their Greed Monger money despite his multiple press releases insisting he was repaying everyone .  In fact, he actually linked to his repayment spreadsheet and it's pretty entertaining on its own.   Apparently, his rep with GM was following him into his many other 'entrepreneur businesses' so claiming to have a repayment program was considered the same as actually repaying people, go figure.

 

 

Most of Arboreus is 100% safe from PvP. ;) Just as safe as a Wurm Freedom server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>""Most of Arboreus is 100% safe from PvP""

 

Here is their page on it, give it a read (followed by 11 pages of discussion )

 

FEATURE SPOTLIGHT #6 – PVP, ALIGNMENT & CRIME

https://fracturedmmo.com/feature-spotlight-6-pvp-alignment-crime/

 

  • ""If you play as a Beastman on Arboreus, you’ll often wander zones completely devoid of hostile PvP – particularly as a new player, and you’re unlikely to be the victim of an aggression from other races in the rest of the world as well.""

 

This is completely unlike Epic and Freedom, where Freedom players are 100% protected by game mechanics against unwanted PvP,  100 percent of the time, not some 'karma' system which many players then take as a challenge to become as 'evil' as possible.   It even lists the consequences for aggressive players who grief against "Good" (PvE) players anyway, which is not needed if PvE players are "100 percent" safe.   On Arboreus, new players are less likely to be in PvP areas which means not-so-new players are more likely to find themselves in PvP areas (the risk-vs-reward that devs are so fond of, to get people to "try" pvp.)  Wander into the wrong area, or drawn there by content you cannot find elsewhere else, and full loot open pvp is in force.  This is more the equivalent of having safe towns you can hide in to avoid PvP, with most of the attractive content placed outside the safe areas as a lure. I have played enough "sheep vs wolves" games to have learned how it works. 

 

From another section of the Q&A in forums:

Can you play the game as long as you want while completely avoiding all PvP?

e.g.: You will never be flagged and/or attacked?

From reading the blog post, my take is that there always exists a risk of getting ganked...

tia...

"if you want to progress your knowledge (thus adding skills) you'll have to venture out. I doubt anyone will completely avoid all PvP. This is an open world PvP game after all."

 

 

Nothing at all like Freedom & Epic. 

 

A closer analogy is Eve Online, where new players can try to stick to higher security areas and "usually" be safe -- but even in those, there is never 100 percent safety. Just "less likely", "probably", "usually". 

And sooner or later, you will need to venture out of the safe areas.

 

I hope the game does very well, but you really shouldn't tell people it is "just like Freedom & Epic", because it is very clearly not.   However, WURM has a great many PvP players who deeply enjoy PvP games, and I see no reason why those players would not like Fractured too.

 

_____


PS: The good news is, looks like they have met their Kickstarter goals :D
€111,662 pledged of €100,000 goal

 

 

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open PVP games always devolve into a mess, with most of the sheep (PvE'rs) jumping ship after a few months.  I don't know why developers keep trying to make this model work;  it's fundamentally broken but they all seem to think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vengus, thanks for the heads-up, and quite the compilation thread! :)

 

The knowledge-point system sounds interesting, as does the developers' clear desire to avoid imposing grinding on their playerbase. That's a tall order; I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this